Thread: HL or Fol???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: HL or Fol???

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu
    This isn't entirely great advice. It depends on the encounter solely, and timed burst. Dont just "see big damage, start using HL" by that time your tank may be already dead.

Use HL to overheal when there are times with high tank damage, (Frozen blows, impale 3, etc) and feel free to flash otherwise. Its better to be pro-active about your healing than re-active, since you have so much mana anyway.
    /agree. If you want to be a reactive healer roll a disc priest, the power of pallies is in proactive healing. The aim is not just to heal the damage already dealt but to crush any incoming damage into submission

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyknight
    I was having trouble on Algalon-10 the other day (holy is my third spec, I havn't really healed properly since TBC) and I found it difficult to find a balance between FoL and HL. Tank damage was massive and unpredictable, if I started casting FoL with the tank at max HP, he could well be on 50% or less by the time it finished, at which point a holy light might not be enough to save him. So I started casting HL pretty much all the time, and found even with pleas, potions, and asking for inntervate that I would be approaching OOM after the first Big Bang. Every time I tried to use HL less the tank died, but I simply cant spam heal like that for so long.

My holy gear isnt brilliant, it is a mix of non set 226 and 219 items, socketed for int, I have about 29k mana fully buffed. Not surprisingly we didn't kill him, is this simply a case of gear not being good enough (one of our tanks was also undergeared, I was supposed to tank in my mostly ilvl 245 gear but we couldn't get healers) or is there some trick to making your mana last while HL spamming that I don't know about?

My healing technique in TBC was similar to now, spam HL, but back then I would also go through 30 plus mana potions in a night.
    Well in TBC you should have been spamming Flash of Light :<

In any case, there are a number of factors. How many healers? Whats your Raid composition? What buffs did you have/lack? etc etc

15+ Year Old Account

No way a tanks gonna survive add tanking on illidan with flash of light! Same goes for (off the top of my head) Bloodboil, Kalecgos, Brutallus, Sharaz, Gruul (back when gear was rubbish).

Was healing alongside a resto druid and a disc priest, off the top of my head we had: Me, Resto Druid, Disc Priest, 2x Prot Warr, Destro Lock, Arcane Mage, Enhance Shaman, DPS Warr (forget spec), and a Rogue (forget spec).

On that basis I lacked Wis, 5% Crit, maybe a haste buff, maybe a spellpower buff. Wis would have helped, but no way was I keeping the tank up with FoL spam, and I wasn't even close on mana that Wis would have got me to the end.
    You were also missing Replenishment unless your Lock was spec'd for it, which is a lot of mana. Between that and Wisdom you could have had more mana. Between you and the Disc priest, though, you shouldnt have had any problems.

Again, there is a number of factors outside your personal controll here at play.

i agree with you guys, i didnt mean to say that he should be only reactive, however, if you know big dmg is coming in, toss a HL in there right before it lands so its covered, like a big HL right before steelbreakers punch, followed by a cleanse.

i havent done a lot of 25m stuff but the things i hear, its much more HL casting because of significantly larger hits on the tank.

usually i alternate hl and fol (with hl specc + gear).
    when i see the tank take spikes for whatever reason, i stay on hl.
    when i see the tank take low dmg for whatever reason, i stay on fol.

simple as that.
    ...just another dream within a dream...

I don't think the OP is just asking which of two spells to cast, I think he's referring to the gem/glyph/itemization that accompanies 2 different healing styles.

So the answer depends a lot on his raid's comp and level of progression, as well as his current gearset. Holii's comment makes a lot of sense. The OP needs to assess whether he's in a situation like Holii, or if not, he may need to become the Int-stacked HL spammer. Or even better, he could be in a position to have multiple sets for multiple styles. Only the OP can answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by koss
    OR you can be pro and sit on the fence, and use HL, FoL, and shock accordingly to healing demands
    this.

As a holy pally with roughly 28k MP i say one pretty basic way to go is Stack Intellect and heal the raid your in according to what is going on, not what "spec" you are. I find myself in 10 mans using Fol>HL>Holy Shock, and in 25 mans its hard to say its either HL>FoL>HS or just swap fol and hs, HL is always my number 1 heal in 25 mans.

But the point is, if you just stack intellect you will be set for both, pending you gear doesnt blow chunks you should be able to manage a 10 man with ease, and 25 man with ease pending gear, but easy nonetheless. id link my armory but it seems as though ive logged out in prot gear and since im at work i cannot change that.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Board3r24/Sig.jpg
    (Sig too large)

Quote Originally Posted by Asur
    This is quite honestly one of the most entertaining reads on a Paladin that I've encountered.

Very informative, entertaining and every Pally should really be forced to read this. The videos used are absolutely hilarious, found myself laughing my face off for about 5 minutes.

The wife will love it, and it helps me understand healing enough to give her a hand chosing specs, gear/gem choices etc

She's been going through the same thing, seeing most Paladins as HL/int route. Though her gear is more then adequate for FoL, which she has been gearing and gemming for, healing every heroic through BC/Wrath (in lvl 70 epics and blues no less), as well as being very successful in Naxx/Ulduar (HM Uld)...

As it stands, unless she feels passionate about trying out the HL/int route, there is no need to.

Was healing alongside a resto druid and a disc priest, off the top of my head we had: Me, Resto Druid, Disc Priest, 2x Prot Warr, Destro Lock (not sure, but had replenishment), Arcane Mage, Enhance Shaman, DPS Warr (forget spec), and a Rogue (forget spec).

On that basis I lacked Wis, 5% Crit, maybe a haste buff, maybe a spellpower buff. Wis would have helped, but no way was I keeping the tank up with FoL spam, and I wasn't even close on mana that Wis would have got me to the end.
    The enhance shaman should have dropped mana spring so really you're not missing any critical mana buffs, just the difference between improved and unimproved BoW. If you want to log out in healing gear sometime and post an armoury link people can maybe give some specific suggestions, otherwise I would tend to assume it's just that you're missing gear and particularly trinkets.

Good regen trinkets are critical.

I was having trouble on Algalon-10 the other day (holy is my third spec, I havn't really healed properly since TBC) and I found it difficult to find a balance between FoL and HL. Tank damage was massive and unpredictable, if I started casting FoL with the tank at max HP, he could well be on 50% or less by the time it finished, at which point a holy light might not be enough to save him. So I started casting HL pretty much all the time, and found even with pleas, potions, and asking for inntervate that I would be approaching OOM after the first Big Bang. Every time I tried to use HL less the tank died, but I simply cant spam heal like that for so long.

My holy gear isnt brilliant, it is a mix of non set 226 and 219 items, socketed for int, I have about 29k mana fully buffed. Not surprisingly we didn't kill him, is this simply a case of gear not being good enough (one of our tanks was also undergeared, I was supposed to tank in my mostly ilvl 245 gear but we couldn't get healers) or is there some trick to making your mana last while HL spamming that I don't know about?

My healing technique in TBC was similar to now, spam HL, but back then I would also go through 30 plus mana potions in a night.
    Alg can be a pain on mana, yeah. What I do is give REALLY small gaps inbetween casts, enough for my auto-attack to get off and (possibly) get me a large chunk of mana back. Again, also depends on the situation, if a star is about to die you don't want to stop to let auto-attack go, but yeah, seal of wisdom procs are amazing on that fight.

Remember, if you really need it Lay on Hands is also a large source of mana (~10k on self) in emergency. Though it'll cause forbearance next patch.

I generally use HL when the going gets tough. Beacon tank, HL raid. Simple. And make sure to pop Divine Illum. Only using HL doesn't work too well. Long cast time and big heal. Your not going to need big heals every 2-3 secs in an encounter.

But for the most part the combination of holy shock and FoL works wonders for me. Even tank healing in hard modes.

Pally healing really requires minimal effort. And that's why I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Loosh
    Long cast time and big heal. Your not going to need big heals every 2-3 secs in an encounter.
    1s vs 1.3s??

And for encounters like Algalon where, when your tank doesn't mitigate two hits in a row he dies, you DO need those big heals every 1.3s just go pre-emptively keep him alive.

lol again thx for the responses! If you wanna look me up my armory>>>> http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...on&n=Aachilles ..... my gears not like horrible i can easily heal the 10/25 totc reg's... just bought some of the 20 int gems today so im working on switching to the HL deal lol. Im pretty much the only good holy pally in my guild i guess i should say =/. just need more luck on some drops! guys got anything to add?

I've always been a firm FoL paladin, I can sustain 8k HPS on twins and never have to worry about mana. I keep up with druids while keeping tanks from dropping. I don't see the benefit in HL build, (Yes, I've tried it.) It just gives me more over healing than anything, and god knows I don't need that.

It's all based on play style, and preference, neither is BETTER than the other.

Here's my armory.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=St%C3%AFffy

Quote Originally Posted by NakedHero
    I've always been a firm FoL paladin, I can sustain 8k HPS on twins and never have to worry about mana. I keep up with druids while keeping tanks from dropping. I don't see the benefit in HL build, (Yes, I've tried it.) It just gives me more over healing than anything, and god knows I don't need that.

It's all based on play style, and preference, neither is BETTER than the other.

Here's my armory.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=St%C3%AFffy
    sorry, but 8k hps on twins is not really high. i believe most of holy pally can have at least 11k hps in twins if you are talking about HPS.

your gear is okay. but your gear and spec does not match what you said " flash of light " palystyle?

My spec has nothing to do with the spells I cast, and I hit 11k hps on twins when I was using the holy light glyph, but while I was doing that. I would go oom or the ranged ball blockers would die. When I switched to using ONLY FoL I had alot fewer deaths and was barely dented my mana. When I say I'm a FoL pally, I mean I never cast HL and still maintain a very high HPS and do my job.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedHero
    My spec has nothing to do with the spells I cast
    Quit reading after that
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by VonGimli
    Quit reading after that
    lol

l wtb updated sig >.>
    l
    l
    V

Well
    I have two healing sets (with many common pieces ofc) one of which is based on highest i-level and gemmed for Int. The other is a haste set and has a couple of pieces fully gemmed for haste.
    The idea is that when the fight allows me to hit the boss I can regen mana at a ludicrous rate and freely cast HL with little thoughts of mana limitations..overheal ftw The haste also makes these heals real fast and increases my throughput very noticeably..I confess that I enjoy this most ;D

The more usual Int gemmed set is for general raid use with all heals used at various times as the fight demands.
    My trials of using mostly FoL often fell behind the incoming damage and transferring from FoL to HL spam contains a nasty little delay which has had me sweating.

I might have titled this thread "Haste or I-Level"

Holydins Unite!
    Belar
    Silvermoon EU

10+ Year Old Account

HoL heavy on main tank (or tank taking the most damage) and for those who need big heals fast, and save FoL for petty raid healing spam. I find having high SP and haste helps out a lot too.