Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Improving boomkin DPS

Im a boomkin and recently ive been having trouble with my dps. My average is 4k and my max is 4.5k. Other boomkins on my server are pulling 5k+. Im using the proper rotation. <a href="http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Gorack">This </a> is my armory. If anyone can help me id greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: Everybody thank you for your help. I am now pulling 5k in 10 mans and 6k in 25 mans. I will work on improving it even more. But you guys have helped me so much that you all get free cookies!

Re: Improving boomkin DPS

Holy hit rating batman!

drop some talents or get a new wep, one that doesnt have hit, you are well over cap

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Drop hit and penetration.

You only need 10% hit as a boomkin(FF and Balance of Power will give you 7% regardless)

Socket pretty much straight spell power. And make sure you do your rotation properly.(Dots>Wrath till Eclipse>Starfire during eclipse>Keep starfiring till you get a wrath eclipse go back to wrath and repeat while keeping dots up.

Imo get new trinkets, embrace is nice but too much hit and the card is just.... ughhhhhh

First thing is yes, you are way over the hit cap. Drop that down. Try to get the staff from Valks 10 man hard mode, Illumination, so solve this problem.
    Second, you're using 5/5 T9, drop that. Your optimal gear is to use 2P T8, 2P T9 (9.5 preferably). From T9 you WANT the helm and the chest. From T8 you want the shoulders and the legs. (Personally I use the gloves and legs since I got the hard mode shoulders first time in ToC).

I'd also advise you change your spec a bit, drop the 2 points out of Moonglow and toss them in Intensity (I'm sure you're not having mana trouble in normal modes, but hard mode you will, intensity will cover this). Other than that, don't clip dots, use SquawkandAwe for eclipse timing, and WiseEclipse for power cancelling of eclipse.

Also, if you can't drop the hit from weapons, drop the dying curse, get an illumination and a eye of the broodmother (Assuming people even run that anymore....) Obviously you really want Reign of the Dead.

Also replace the circle of the darkmender with the badge one, I'm assuming you have the badges since I see you are running 10 and 25 regularly.

Lastly, GET RID OF SPELL PENETRATION. It serves no use in PvE. If you need blue gems for your meta, use SP/Spirit. And if the socket bonus is 9 spellpower or more, do not gem for anything besides straight spellpower. (I notice you have SP/crit and SP/hit gems, they are a waste).

If you wish to check my character, goto the armory (Davason of Black Dragonflight)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggletard
    You only need 10% hit as a boomkin(FF and Balance of Power will give you 7% regardless)
    You're an elf, so you should really be getting a Draenei and gearing for 9%. Unless you have a serious lack of Draenei in the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheCripple
    First thing is yes, you are way over the hit cap. Drop that down. Try to get the staff from Valks 10 man hard mode, Illumination, so solve this problem.
    Second, you're using 5/5 T9, drop that. Your optimal gear is to use 2P T8, 2P T9 (9.5 preferably). From T9 you WANT the helm and the chest. From T8 you want the shoulders and the legs. (Personally I use the gloves and legs since I got the hard mode shoulders first time in ToC).

I'd also advise you change your spec a bit, drop the 2 points out of Moonglow and toss them in Intensity (I'm sure you're not having mana trouble in normal modes, but hard mode you will, intensity will cover this). Other than that, don't clip dots, use SquawkandAwe for eclipse timing, and WiseEclipse for power cancelling of eclipse.

Also, if you can't drop the hit from weapons, drop the dying curse, get an illumination and a eye of the broodmother (Assuming people even run that anymore....) Obviously you really want Reign of the Dead.

Also replace the circle of the darkmender with the badge one, I'm assuming you have the badges since I see you are running 10 and 25 regularly.

Lastly, GET RID OF SPELL PENETRATION. It serves no use in PvE. If you need blue gems for your meta, use SP/Spirit. And if the socket bonus is 9 spellpower or more, do not gem for anything besides straight spellpower. (I notice you have SP/crit and SP/hit gems, they are a waste).

If you wish to check my character, goto the armory (Davason of Black Dragonflight)
    Yeah this is really helpful but I don't usually run ToGC too much because of my schedule and I was gone for most of ulduar so I din't get to do ulduar so when i got back i jumped straight into ToC. Ill try to get these things and thanks for the extremely helpful post.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggletard

Imo get new trinkets, embrace is nice but too much hit and the card is just.... ughhhhhh
    Unfortunately those trinks are the hardest things to come buy, so many people rolling on them. I still use the same card myself. If not for anything its a decent sp.. yes, the use is useless but oh well

get the t9 except for the legs, there u need the 25man drop from anub

then u should get more haste n crit since ur sp is good, but its no good without the others...

Deleted

To just go through it, you need another ~50 haste (be around 400) and you need a lot more crit. Most of my gear is 245 (with one or two being 258) and i am looking at 11% more crit than you, along with a bunch more spellpower. There shouldn't be anything stopping you from at least getting up to 25 crit if you put some effort into it. I am sure the main issue is gear. See if you can increase your haste by 50, and then consider if you can find items that add a bit more crit:

Shoulders: Heroic beasts 10 shoulders has both haste and crit. That will solve your haste.
    Cloak: Work for the cloak from Onyxia - that is a very decent cloak!
    T9 chest and head isn't really the most optimal. I know that you can get these easely through badges, but they are very poorly itemised, with lots of hit, spirit and haste. If you can get your hands on tier 8 shoulders, gloves or pants (two of these), it would be a great improvement, as head and chest from tier 9 are *very* good items (lots of crit, no spirit).
    Bracers: Get the Bejeweled Wizards Bracers from tailoring. Awesome bands, and very hard to replace.
    Trinkets are hard to come by, but you should switch them out straight up as soon as you can. The Sundial from Emblems of Heroism is still a very good trinket, and with your setup, i would even go for the Fetish of Volitale Power (even though the on use is rubbish).
    Provided you get more haste, try and swithch your Ring of the Darkmender. Item stats are wasted on mp5, and you really need to bump that crit. If you can lose the ring, and get enough haste to get back up to 400, then that frees up a lot of item stats for crit.
    Pants: Lots of nice crit to get on the T8 pants.

Also, get your enchanting up the last bit - you are missing out on 50 spellpower also. Lets face it, your gear has been neglected, and your stats should be quite higher (notibly crit) than they are now.

That being said, it is sometimes impossible to just drop hit. I was +130 over my hit cap for weeks because i couldn't get them replaced, but they were still the best items available.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheCripple
    I'd also advise you change your spec a bit, drop the 2 points out of Moonglow and toss them in Intensity (I'm sure you're not having mana trouble in normal modes, but hard mode you will, intensity will cover this).

Any mana problems he has would be fixed by increasing his crit. I dont even run with intensity anymore, and i still hardly ever go below 80% in raids.

Yellow socket bonuses can be worth it. If you assume haste cap, getting a crit/sp gem to activate a +5 spellpower socket is slightly better than a pure +23 spellpower gem. Anything above +5 SP socket bonus and its a hands down win.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic
    get the t9 except for the legs, there u need the 25man drop from anub

then u should get more haste n crit since ur sp is good, but its no good without the others...
    Are you suggesting that he should go for 4pt9, when he already has 2pt8?

yes i am...

having 4set t9 takes out the rng plus the stats are better...

also it works fine for me...

15+ Year Old Account

<sarcasm>

Please use Cattaclysmic's purely anecdotal advice over every existing tool out there that says stay in 2pct8 until you have full 258 gear or higher. It will do wonders for you!

</sarcasm>

Quote Originally Posted by Eilt
    <sarcasm>

Please use Cattaclysmic's purely anecdotal advice over every existing tool out there that says stay in 2pct8 until you have full 258 gear or higher. It will do wonders for you!

</sarcasm>
    QFT

on topic: wow that hit... why? waaaay too much... as quieth said, you need to up your haste and drop the hit a lot... also, look into swapping a lot of gear around so you can get T8.5 gloves and pants and T9.25 helm and chest simply because they're the better itemised pieces of gear for those slots... also, are you making the most of time spent moving (refreshing dots that have just dropped, moving just far enough and not any further ect.)

The Moonkin Repository
    Moonkin forums for beginners and experienced players alike
    Moonkin TTT Thread with Wrathcalcs
    Check it out, good stuff in there

With T8 nerf in 3.3 and the ease of access for triumphs coming i'd just enjoy your raid time, stock up on trophies for your needed gear slots and grind for triumphs to get your t9.25 set (or .5 if your downing anub/lucky on rolls and whatnot)

Get ready for it to be worse at 3.3 =/
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

yep... if you reroll hunter now you could have it at 80 and geared out by the time 3.3 comes out, as well as put out significantly more damage!!!

The Moonkin Repository
    Moonkin forums for beginners and experienced players alike
    Moonkin TTT Thread with Wrathcalcs
    Check it out, good stuff in there

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Aluana
    yep... if you reroll hunter now you could have it at 80 and geared out by the time 3.3 comes out, as well as put out significantly more damage!!!
    Hunters has nothing on me. If they beat me, its a marginal difference at best.

15+ Year Old Account

This is getting old Qieth, your pures are bad just get over it and quit spouting off about how you can compete with them. You want to shoot for some real hunter competition?

Here are the numbers from our last TotGC 25 man Insanity run.

NrB - 8.3k #1 on the meter
    Jarax - 8.6k #1 on the meter
    Twins - 10.7k (he is a soaker and still got over 10k) #8 on the meter
    Faction - 6.8k #1 on the meter

Anub is a gimmick fight as you know, so not even going to bother posting inflated AE numbers, but the other fights are pretty much single target for large portions and these are the numbers our hunter is putting up on a REGULAR basis. When you start competing with these numbers you can legitimately say you are competing with pures.

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    Hunters has nothing on me. If they beat me, its a marginal difference at best.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Our philosophy at this point in the game was that hybrid classes needed to give up a lot of their power, especially on the dps-side of things, in order to justify their versatility and massive buffs.
    Theorycrafting and posting numbers on forums
    Not everyone is going to be an expert theorycrafter or mathematics expert, and we're not expecting you to be one in order to participate in these forum discussions. But also be honest about the fact that linking to someone else's work doesn't necessarily turn you into one either.

Was that too harsh? (Source)

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by FourofaKind
    Our philosophy at this point in the game was that hybrid classes needed to give up a lot of their power, especially on the dps-side of things, in order to justify their versatility and massive buffs.
    Quote regarding BC situation, off-topic here.

What is a hybrid tax? Why is there a hybrid tax?

I'm going to sticky this since it gets brought up more than almost any other topic.

We only recognize two types of classes for PvE purposes:

Can respec to fulfill a different role = hybrid.
    Cannot respec to fulfill a different role = pure.

The roles are tank, healing and damage.

In our design, having two healing trees (priest) or half a tanking tree (druid) or three dps trees (DK) does not put these classes in different categories of hybridness. A hybrid is a hybrid.

It's the roles that your class lets you do that is important, not how those roles are organized into talent trees. The paladin is one way to organize the trees (a tanking tree, healing tree and melee dps tree) but not the only way. However, there is a reason we don't do this for every class -- it would be boring.

In our design, the pure dps classes (hunter, mage, warlock and rogue) should do slightly higher dps than hybrid damage-dealers all things being equal. All things are rarely equal. Player skill, gear, raid comp, latency, random luck and most importantly the specifics of the encounter will often favor one class, spec or player over another.

The reason we want pures to so slightly higher damage is that pures can only fulfill one role. If your guild or raid has no more need for damage-dealers, there is no way for these classes to raid with you. By contrast, the six other classes always have the option to respec for another role either temporarily or for the long haul.

The Blizzard definition of hybrid in this context has nothing to do with whether you can perform multiple roles within a single fight or even within a single raid. It has more to do with the potential for your class to ever fulfill more than one role.

Likewise, the Blizzard definition of hybrid in this context has nothing to do with the power of certain buffs or class synergy. We want all classes to bring useful tools to the raid.

Just because you’re not interested in doing anything other than damage does not qualify your class as a pure as long as the option to change roles is there. For the pure classes the only option is to reroll. We think the pure classes would start to disappear over time, at least from high-end raiding, if there was no advantage for being a pure. The hybrid advantage is flexibility.

There is not a “5% rule” that says pures should be 5% higher than hybrids in every circumstance. Again, most of the time other factors such as the encounter specifics will have a greater effect. The “5% rule” was either something a player suggested that stuck or something we threw out at some point as an example. It isn’t a hard and fast rule. We aren’t going to provide a hard and fast rule because players would then attempt to invoke that rule every time they thought their damage was too low instead of exploring other ways to improve their character’s performance.

This philosophy largely evolved in Wrath of the Lich King and is the design we plan on carrying forward to Cataclysm. In vanilla WoW, every class typically had one role. In BC, we tried to promote other roles for some classes, but we still didn’t make everyone play by the same rules. Warriors, and I hate to pick on them, were intended to be the best tank while also deliver dps that we would now label as competitive with rogues. By contrast, druids, paladins, priests and shaman were intended to be competitive healers, but have dramatically lower dps than pures and warriors. Likewise, druids, paladins, priests and shaman brought many unique and powerful buffs that were intended to compensate for their low dps. We spread these buffs out to a much greater degree in Lich King, and plan on refining that implementation for Cataclysm.

TLDR:

Hybrid = can respec to fulfill a different role (damage, tanking, or healing).
    Hybrid != can fill multiple roles at the same time.
    Hybrid != has awesome, amazing buffs or utility.
    Hybrid != pure. Beyond that, there are no shades of gray among hybrids.

In general, we ask that players focus their feedback more on class mechanics and what is fun or not fun about the classes and not simply on “My dps is too low so you must buff me.”
    Ghostcrawler
    Lead Systems Designer
    Is that better?
    Theorycrafting and posting numbers on forums
    Not everyone is going to be an expert theorycrafter or mathematics expert, and we're not expecting you to be one in order to participate in these forum discussions. But also be honest about the fact that linking to someone else's work doesn't necessarily turn you into one either.

Was that too harsh? (Source)