Need help with my old DK

Hello all.

After about 8 months of leaving my DK to rot at level 80 after doing naxx a few times with him, I've decided on bringing him back out to beat up some baddies. I am however at a loss as to what I am currently geared for to do.

Here is my armory link:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...is&n=Alloysius

I managed tog et hold of two of teh 226 tankards so decided to slap them on and do some quick research on how duel wield frost works and all that jazz. After some experimentation I have found I can get 3k DPS with my current (crappy and unenchanted/gemed) gear. I'm just wondering if I really have teh gear to make this DW Frost spec 'work' or should I just give it up as a bad joke and grab my edge of ruin out of the bank which i got yesterday and try out one of the two hander specs till I get enough gear for a DW frost spec?

Or am I actually going on the right track and just need to run more heroics and some more raids in hopes of gearing up a bit more?

Please any advice that is constructive and helpful would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Grey

Re: Need help with my old DK

whats with your 7agi and 11atack power gems?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

yeah i know...shit gems, but when I was playing this toon 8 or so months ago, I didnt have much gold (first 80 and jusr bought epic flight + CWF) before I decided to play another toon for leveling and thus raiding. I'm not throwing epic gems in gear as low quality as this as I am sure you would do the same.

Sayingt hat I really should use some of the scarlet rubies I have kicking around and gem up a bit and DE stuff for mats to get some ghetto enchants on gear...

Your gear is crap, but it'd be fine for starting heroics (if you get some cheap enchants and blue quality gems that is). You have a nice advantage as DW Frost because of the cheap tankards, those will last you well into ToC 10.

ok, your hit rating is wayyy to high, u want 8% (260) and ur crit is wayyy to low, try and get it up to around 25%

try to gem for Strengh only, with the occasional hit rating or perhaps expertise (exptertise cap is 26) but around 19 if u use a potion.

Tbh, if you can pull 3k dps with ur current gear/stats u must be extremely good lol!

hope this helps, Solid ;D

hit rating for 8% is for a 2 hander if I recall correctly, but duel wielding hit needs to be higher or am I miss-reading? If i just have to worry about 8% hit then work on crit etc I can see it working better.

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Greyarea
    hit rating for 8% is for a 2 hander if I recall correctly, but duel wielding hit needs to be higher or am I miss-reading? If i just have to worry about 8% hit then work on crit etc I can see it working better.

Thanks
    You actually only need 5% from gear as DW Frost. Nerves of Cold Steel gives you the 3% you need to hit 8% and cap special attacks. Don't worry about capping white hits or spells.

10+ Year Old Account

Your hit rating is fine. You should run the heroics everyday and the daily. Do every heroic each day for a week and you gear will be T8 and T9. Try to get into a 10 ToC and 10/25 ony and VoA runs. The hit rating is fine because you dont want some of your spells to miss like IT and HB. Being DW frost for a few months ive seen HB miss tons of time but then i just got about 400 hit rating through gear and that was done with.

OK cool, so just get hit on gear dont socket/enchant for it, 5% is good for specials any more is gravy for HB etc which makes alot of sense now that I see it.

I'm just going to run a load of heroics and get the daily heroic done as often as possible and go from there then.

Also on a side note, to get into 10 ToC, I should be running with 3.5k+ DPS correct? Otherwords, gear up more before I consider it yes?

10+ Year Old Account

8% is so obliterate and frost strike dont miss.
    Expertise you should get to 26 rating. Or else your moves maybe dodged or parried *even from behind*.

Quote Originally Posted by Muraza
    8% is so obliterate and frost strike dont miss.
    Expertise you should get to 26 rating. Or else your moves maybe dodged or parried *even from behind*.
    Don't listen to this guy. 8% is need for 2-handed specs, you have Nerves of Cold Steel so you only need 5% for specials. But when I checked you were nicely above the cap anyway.
    Don't focus too much on Expertise either, it's VERY nice to have 26 when you're raiding but for running heroics it's less useful since there are no lvl83 mobs.
    And you can't EVER get parried from behind. ^^

I'd also advice you to drop Blood-Caked Blade for Subversion in Blood, BCB is better when raidbuffed but in heroics you're better off with Obliterate having a high crit rate.
    And yeah, just switch out as many gems as you can for Strength ones and only keep enough of the others to active the meta.

EDIT: Don't focus on crit at all either btw, with Killing Machines and talents giving us so much it's a rather mediocre stat.

1. Run daily heroic a lot and buy 4pc t9
    2. Switch to unholy
    3. ?????
    4. Profit!

Then later.

5. Wait for 3.3
    6. Sob quietly in a corner.

Seriously though, your build is fine,you're using the standard IIT Frost build as far as either. What we can't attest to you is if you're doing the right rotation, I think IIT frost builds revolve around a priority rotation where diseases > HB w/ Rime and KM procs > Obliterate > Blood Strike > Frost Strike.
    I might be wrong and obliterate has a higher priority than Rime + KM, not sure on that one.

DKs are luckily quite simple to gear, except to activate meta you only gem STR assuming you're at special hit cap, which you are. There's no other stat worth gemming unless you're trying to socket for a bonus, but don't use a hybrid gem for anything less than +8 strength, which you might not see until some of the higher gear levels anyway.

There aren't many enchant choices to choose from, though you get flexibility in your gloves and wrists for hit or expertise if those are needed, and the boots will either get the AP or one of the movement ones. Everything else is set.

Don't "focus" on anything, go for hit cap (frost DW it's 5%, after that if you have hit cool, if you don't don't fret, it's not a huge deal either way.It's only once you get well past 300 that you have to look at your build to make sure it's the best stat to be stacking), go for expertise cap (assuming you're going to raids). Choose gear pieces that don't throw those two stats under the bus. Once those are out of the way grab stuff that's better than what you had before. You don't have to worry about itemizing better until you have a set worth itemizing, though once you do a rule of thumb for frost is crit > arp > haste. (arp isn't that far behind thougH)

The above poster is incorrect, Crit is not a mediocre stat, and frost builds are the only tree with the exclusion of the T9 bonus where Crit has the higher stat weight over ARP and Haste. KM does not affect Obliterate which is Frost's #1 damaging spell by miles. If obliterate isn't your #1 damaging attack you're doing something wrong. KM is used in combination with Rime for a free crit HB or it's eaten by Frost Strike at the end of your rotation. Yes your talents give you more crit, in fact your obliterates will crit a lot. But they can always crit more. As long as you're not missing, you want those suckers to crit as often as possible.