Homophobic Language

Hello, I'm Vendelin, a long time reader, first time poster.

I would just like to thank the moderation staff here on the forums for something that seems to be a crackdown on the Homophobic language that sadly is so usual on these kind of forums. I always get a little happy feel when I see "The user was banned for this post" in red on a homophobic users post instead of the little touch of sadness and/or anger.

Or, maybe this crackdown is really not happening but it's a feeling I got...

Anyway, Good night from Vendelin.
    |----------------------------ART----------------------------|

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Homophobic Language

omg u gay faget lawlawl

/sarcasm

I think it's more a general crackdown on trolling. Which is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    omg u gay faget lawlawl

/sarcasm

I think it's more a general crackdown on trolling. Which is a good thing.
    Hopefully it works too. There is too much hatred on this forum, both true hatred, and false. (trolling)

Now if only we could do something about all those folks that all they do is post about how they stopped playing 3 months ago cause WoW sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by vendelin
    Hopefully it works too. There is too much hatred on this forum, both true hatred, and false. (trolling)
    I agree, the overall gaming community is not what it used to be...

You either need to not be offended on behalf of other people, which is truly patronising, or be proud of yourself - and either pity them or accept that you are going to be the butt of jokes, every once in a while. Everyone is, noone is excluded.

I have no sympathy if anonymous bigotry gets to you THAT MUCH.

Homophobia/racism/non-politically correct things are not getting more common, people are just being more pathetic and taking offence to every little comment. People need to grow up, learn the world isn't sunshines and buttercups and take the odd remark on the chin. If a comment is made with malice then fair enough, thats not acceptable, but people need to learn to see "lol u r Gay" and not start shouting homophobe!

Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul
    Now if only we could do something about all those folks that all they do is post about how they stopped playing 3 months ago cause WoW sucks...

You must be new around here

Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul

I hope it's not a sign of a growing community but I fear it is. Small forums tend to be a bit nicer as the anonymity isn't so overwhelming. Here, you can or think you can, hide in the great mass. I can hardly believe there is so many stupid people around in the world as this forum make it look, it must be something else...

Well, well I guess there is great things about huge communities too, and now I added one more voice in this symphony of screaming...

Homophobia/racism/non-politically correct things are not getting more common, people are just being more pathetic and taking offence to every little comment. People need to grow up, learn the world isn't sunshines and buttercups and take the odd remark on the chin. If a comment is made with malice then fair enough, thats not acceptable, but people need to learn to see "lol u r Gay" and not start shouting homophobe!
    You know, after some years, decades, centuries of jokes about something totally irrelevant to teh topic you get bored of it

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by lafakad
    lol
    but on a serious note, some people are assholes, some are not. you can't assume that all are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

Quote Originally Posted by MaltoreseFalcon
    You either need to not be offended on behalf of other people, which is truly patronising, or be proud of yourself - and either pity them or accept that you are going to be the butt of jokes, every once in a while. Everyone is, noone is excluded.

I have no sympathy if anonymous bigotry gets to you THAT MUCH.
    HAH! Get it? Butt of jokes? Gay jokes?

I agree with you and the OP to some extent.

It's not going as far as being insulted when someone says "oh youre such a fag" or using racist remarks...That's going a bit overboard. Problem is sometimes people derail complete threads JUST to make these sort of remarks and they go out of their way to actually insult people. I've had people in my guild that are gay, black, jewish, asian, mexican...Hell, youd be surprised how many we've had over the years and I've never found anyone feel insulted by words...Thats what they are, just words. However, what you have to watch out for is the intentions of the one saying these words.

Gamers have gone to shit...Nobody believes in respecting each other anymore. Be it on WoW or any other online game. The sense of camaraderie in video games, for the most part, has been lost.

Quote Originally Posted by lafakad
    Yes, I haxxored my post count

First off, to Freedom, <3 the avatar lol

Back on topic: I really hope they are cracking down on the mindless trolling and general asshattery. I really wish the majority of the assholes and trolls (forum, not ingame lol. The troll race is win) would grow up and act like civilized members of the community instead of Grade-A Heels who walk around with their trousers on their heads being asses because nothing can actually happen to them since it's the interwebz. But, that'll never happen, unfortunately.

P.S: wtb more use of the searching for similar topics instead of making a new one for EVERYTHING that happens. I mean, seriously, just because you saw a blue jay in-game doesn't mean you have to come and make a topic about it.

/rant off
    We are the internet we dont care about you. We just want to poke you with a pointy stick
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    Furthermore to hate gearscore for 'denying you access to raids' is like hating your credit score for denying you access to a loan.

As a homosexual gamer I say: QQ moar.
    Face it: gay and fag have degraded to synonyms for lame, and idiot.
    Don't associate it with homosexuality.
    I take no offense, proceed.

10+ Year Old Account

Wait wait wait, fag = gay?? I thought it meant cigarette. All this time I've been calling people gay and I only meant they smoke too much :-\.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

I love how people make posts on here that have something to do with Warcraft and not a retarded ass opionion. Then again, I do see how the name of the site is Gay-champion.com
    /sarcasm
    You are now breathing manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ðina
    As a homosexual gamer I say: QQ moar.
    Face it: gay and fag have degraded to synonyms for lame, and idiot.
    Don't associate it with homosexuality.
    I take no offense, proceed.
    This might be true, I do very rarely take offence by people using the word gay as an everyday insult. Maybe my title was misleading. The problem might not be the word but the everyday insult. However, I have some kind of feeling that the person behind the keyboard who writes "learn to dps, you play fucking gay" might have some thoughts that collides with me, and that saddens me deeply. (Not that I think I'm better than everyone, I'm often worse)

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    [USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST]
    I could put that in my sig, doesn't mean i was banned for a post.
    Oh, I didn't know there was a movement of adding that line to your post, I guess I was wrong then

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy
    Or alternatively we need to grow up, take the remark on the chin and then smash a fist into the relevant face? I find that much more satisfying honestly. Anybody who thinks that the word gay has just degenerated to mean lame and has to be abandoned needs to take a look at how racist or sexist terms were used a few decades ago and how they've been scrubbed out of common usage now.

In fact the more common and 'innocently' a word can be taken to be, the worse it is because it allows the more putrid homophobes better cover. If everybody uses these words as insults then they feel enabled in their hatred.

no - but then when somebody is banned it actually looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone
    Don't have to prove anything to these trolling faggots anyways.

<Moderator edit: User was banned for these homophobic comments>
    and you see the moderator name as the last editor, so it's pretty clear really.

The funny thing is, most of the people who make the gay jokes do it in a manner that makes them seem "gayer" than the people they are making fun of, and they don't even realize it. For example, using cute spellings of words, being drama queens, posting pictures of cute kitties saying "funny" things, using toolbag phrases like nom nom to make a pointless point. If anything, most gaming internet forums cater to what most would consider gayness...yet people are such tools they don't even realize they are acting this way. I have no problem at all with gay people, I do have a problem with people who act gay while calling others gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    Or alternatively we need to grow up, take the remark on the chin and then smash a fist into the relevant face? I find that much more satisfying honestly. Anybody who thinks that the word gay has just degenerated to mean lame and has to be abandoned needs to take a look at how racist or sexist terms were used a few decades ago and how they've been scrubbed out of common usage now.

In fact the more common and 'innocently' a word can be taken to be, the worse it is because it allows the more putrid homophobes better cover. If everybody uses these words as insults then they feel enabled in their hatred.
    This is so correct. The word gay might have gone from describing a feeling, to describe a sexual orientation, to describe something bad, but the chain does not necessary stops there. We can continue the chain and reclaim it as a word to describe a sexual orientation. Language is a fight about the meanings of different words.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by det
    Banned users have a bigfat [ B ] instead of the avatar and BANNED as signature replacement
    Not if they were merely temp banned.

ty Sarpanti, ZP FTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Deleted

First, two posts that jumped out that I felt I should reply to (despite this being locked):

I have actually received complaints from users about unjust bans because they saw those magic words in a signature and assumed it was real. I've been tempted to ban people for wasting moderators time by adding that to their posts/signature. Tempting, but I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by det
    Banned users have a bigfat [ B ] instead of the avatar and BANNED as signature replacement
    Some users, not all. It depends on who they were banned by. It's something we're still thinking over.

And now the topic itself: I cannot officially say if there's an active "crackdown" on homophobic posts (And the like). There may be plans, but that's a discussion for another day. It's likely just more people discovering the report post button - We're very reliant on users to report offending posts because with a small moderation team with their own lives to take care of (And this is volunteer work, remember) we really don't have time to go over everything as it's posted. There's a sticky in the WotLK-General forums that more explains how to help us keep strong moderation.

(Don't ask me why the thread was locked, I was not the one to do it. But if I were to hazard a guess I'd say it's because that this topic turned into a discussion on what's homophobic or not)