Thread: macro help

macro help

okay i know there is a thread for usefull macros but the one i used isn't on there so i figured i would ask here, but i had a macro that macro'd lava lash and my shock/shocks

its was something like

(#show tooltip
    cast sequence) thats all i can remember and even that could be off,

its just a simple cast sequence macro really, not specific for shaman just cant remember how to make it anymore

Deleted

Re: macro help

It's not there because it would be a bad macro. A cast sequence isn't a great idea particularly for two different abilities that have different effects, eg: LL can proc QE to give extra AP & SP. Typically shocks are far more important to your dps than LL, but due to the QE debuff and SS debuff for ES you have to make decisions based on the state of the debuffs. A macro cannot do that and thus fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    It's not there because it would be a bad macro. A cast sequence isn't a great idea particularly for two different abilities that have different effects, eg: LL can proc QE to give extra AP & SP. Typically shocks are far more important to your dps than LL, but due to the QE debuff and SS debuff for ES you have to make decisions based on the state of the debuffs. A macro cannot do that and thus fails.
    well i figured it out myself but ty for being a troll, the point of the macro is just helpful for myself, helps me keep up with when to cast certain things, works well enough for a enh offspec for simple heroics and daily's, i dont raid as enh and never really will,

Quote Originally Posted by gigaryzr
    well i figured it out myself but ty for being a troll, the point of the macro is just helpful for myself, helps me keep up with when to cast certain things, works well enough for a enh offspec for simple heroics and daily's, i dont raid as enh and never really will,
    Umm, lol? He was giving you helpful advise and you call him a troll? You never mentioned in your OP that enhance was just an offspec for doing dailies, so it can be assumed you were asking for help as a raiding enhancement shaman. Assuming this, the info given by Levva would have been very useful and informative, if anything you were trolling asking for a cast sequence macro as an enhancement shaman.....

Btw, the guy you called a troll can do nasty things to you and your ability to post here, just saying.

He wasn't trolling, he was being honest. Just because someone says something you don't like doesn't make them a troll. :

Ps. lol @ calling the forum mod a troll.

Deleted

The user has been informed of his error in suggesting that the forum moderator is a troll, I'm a draenei.

If you want to know what to cast, why not get the excellent Shock and Awe add on. It will tell you exactly when to cast things.

The user has been informed of his error in suggesting that the forum moderator is a troll, I'm a draenei.
    And I used to have so much respect for you...

hmm, in no way was it helpful of him to tell the the macro is useless, instead of helping the issue i was having he just told me i shouldn't even try to find the macro, and yes i could get the addon, but for some reason most addons dont like to work on my mac, not sure why, trying to figure it out, and as i stated in a later post, i was just trying to get this for me, it helps me, and i'm sure other people could make use of it as well, but if not then oh well, and as far as Levva sorry for calling you a troll, but i mean i asked for help and you told me i was basically stupid for asking for it, instead of even trying to help my issue, there-fore i got defensive...oops

Deleted

Addons are written in LUA and all execute under the code in wow there is no reliance on the operating system at all it is entirely code running INSIDE wow. Therefore the fact you have a mac is utterly irrelevant. It is a common excuse used by people who dont want to bother with addons in the hope that the person they are telling is equally clueless and assumes oh you have a mac that's why the addon does work. Absolute rubbish. Addons work REGARDLESS of operating system.

It WAS helpful to tell you the macro was useless it stops you WASTING your time trying to figure out something that is just BAD for you. Why would you not think it useful for someone trying to stop you wasting your time.

The type of macro you are looking for is something that can only lower your dps and have you fail at doing good damage. I don't want people to fail at being Enh Shaman, hence I said don't go down that route. Are you saying you WANT to fail???

Instead you should be trying to understand why its a fail macro - I gave the reasons in my original post.

well i figured it out myself but
    The OP found the answer he was looking for, so I would say that this topic does not need to exist anymore. If he wants to be bad, thats his choice. Some people just don't want to listen.

never seen someone defend a castsequence macro so vehmently

you could just come here and post "hey i figured out a castsequence macro that will do everything for us"

/castsequence Flame Shock, Lava Burst, lightning bolt, lightning bolt, lightning bolt, lightning bolt, lightning bolt, lightning bolt, Lava Burst, lightning bolt, lightning bolt, lightning bolt, lightning bolt, lightning bolt, Lava Burst

there you go... elemental sorted!

The thread for macros is there for people to update with useful macros that they use while they are playing. Pretty sure it states not to post about castsequence macros in the first post too, the OP must have read this and still decided to make their own thread about a castsequence macro. Levva as much as I sometimes dislike the way you respond to people and the totalitarian way you police the boards generally you have a good point. Anyone who frequented these boards as a genuine user looking for information would know this and not call you a troll, especially when your reply is even useful.

In short, I am starting to think the guy came here looking for a slightly better than average flamewar... 8/10 for originality if I am honest, its much better than just making a stupid thread about how worgen are not human or some of the other trash that makes it to 17 pages.

Addons are written in LUA and all execute under the code in wow there is no reliance on the operating system at all it is entirely code running INSIDE wow. Therefore the fact you have a mac is utterly irrelevant. It is a common excuse used by people who dont want to bother with addons in the hope that the person they are telling is equally clueless and assumes oh you have a mac that's why the addon does work. Absolute rubbish. Addons work REGARDLESS of operating system.

It WAS helpful to tell you the macro was useless it stops you WASTING your time trying to figure out something that is just BAD for you. Why would you not think it useful for someone trying to stop you wasting your time.

The type of macro you are looking for is something that can only lower your dps and have you fail at doing good damage. I don't want people to fail at being Enh Shaman, hence I said don't go down that route. Are you saying you WANT to fail???

Instead you should be trying to understand why its a fail macro - I gave the reasons in my original post.

hmm wait, so you can be an ass but not me, sorry kinda confused, look as far as the addon thing, as i said i'm not sure what the issue is, on my old pc all my addons worked fine with the mac its alittle more complex to get them into the file, or it could just be my game file is corrupt hell i dont know honestly, back when i was on the pc i had most addons i could use to help me, though for myself that macro worked better for what i was doin, and to marath, the macro handle's 2 spells lol, and i asked for help and got pissed when instead of helping i was just told no i'm wrong to even try

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeshort
    The OP found the answer he was looking for, so I would say that this topic does not need to exist anymore. If he wants to be bad, thats his choice. Some people just don't want to listen.

hmm, i am not op, and posting half a message to make me look like an ass, doesn't make you look better, i wasn't coming here to just get flamed for asking a simple question, and i had to go elsewhere to even get the original help i wanted

10+ Year Old Account

I have a similar problem. The route I normally take to the office every day runs along about half of a certain very large lake. I would like to save both time and gas money by driving directly across the lake with my car. I tried filling the car with lots of foam, but it still just kind of sinks into the lake. Many people have told me that I should use a boat if I want to cross a lake. This is not an acceptable answer; I am not a boater, and I'm not looking to just throw money at the problem like a noob. Please tell me how I can drive my car across the lake, because this is what I want to do. TYVM.

Deleted

hmm wait, so you can be an ass but not me, sorry kinda confused, look as far as the addon thing, as i said i'm not sure what the issue is, on my old pc all my addons worked fine with the mac its alittle more complex to get them into the file, or it could just be my game file is corrupt hell i dont know honestly, back when i was on the pc i had most addons i could use to help me, though for myself that macro worked better for what i was doin, and to marath, the macro handle's 2 spells lol, and i asked for help and got pissed when instead of helping i was just told no i'm wrong to even try
    Whether you have a mac or a PC installing an addon is an identical process - if anything its EASIER on a mac. You simply download the addon and unzip it into your Interface\Addons directory. In fact if you already have your addons installed and working on a PC simply copy the contents of your addon directory to your Mac and hey presto all your addons are installed EXACTLY the same as on a PC.

It REALLY isn't hard.

As for your macro, you were told it was a bad idea, you were told WHY it was a bad idea, and still you feel we should lower the quality of the site by promoting bad ideas??? NO!! Isn't going to happen, in fact that is precisely the sort of stuff that should be strongly pointed out why it shouldn't happen. If you cannot see that then you will forever fail.

Quote Originally Posted by videotape
    I have a similar problem. The route I normally take to the office every day runs along about half of a certain very large lake. I would like to save both time and gas money by driving directly across the lake with my car. I tried filling the car with lots of foam, but it still just kind of sinks into the lake. Many people have told me that I should use a boat if I want to cross a lake. This is not an acceptable answer; I am not a boater, and I'm not looking to just throw money at the problem like a noob. Please tell me how I can drive my car across the lake, because this is what I want to do. TYVM.
    You need to stack more buoyancy rating, noob. If you bothered to sim your car in Rawr, or ready the floaty-FAQ, you'd see that you're well under the floatation cap. Patch 3.12 also nerfed the float coefficient of foam. Anyone who's serious about playing an aquamotive spec knows that you have to gear for air bladders now.

L2 watercraft. :P

Whether you have a mac or a PC installing an addon is an identical process - if anything its EASIER on a mac. You simply download the addon and unzip it into your Interface\Addons directory. In fact if you already have your addons installed and working on a PC simply copy the contents of your addon directory to your Mac and hey presto all your addons are installed EXACTLY the same as on a PC.

It REALLY isn't hard.

As for your macro, you were told it was a bad idea, you were told WHY it was a bad idea, and still you feel we should lower the quality of the site by promoting bad ideas??? NO!! Isn't going to happen, in fact that is precisely the sort of stuff that should be strongly pointed out why it shouldn't happen. If you cannot see that then you will forever fail.
    on the addon thing: i'm not sure really what the issue is, i've got the addons in the folder and all, i know how to do all that, just aside from like grid omen and poweraura's everything else i have downloaded doesn't even register on the addon menu in wow, but they are all in the folder for addons, and as far as the macro, i dont mean to lower the quality of the site, hell if people would quit posting on this thing it would be far beyond gone page number wise, never to be found again, i just wanted alittle help with a simple problem i was having, the only reason i needed the macro was that my addon doesn't work and i used the macro back in naxx days b4 i got my addons all worked out

Deleted

If stuff doesn't register in the addons menu its in the wrong place or hasn't been unzipped and is a file not a folder. Addons live in FOLDERS if you have files in interface/addons you are doing it wrong. Folders should be the name of the addon eg: ShockAndAwe should be in Interface/addons/ShockAndAwe

Common mistake is to do something like Interface/ShockAndAwe or Interface/addons/addons/ShockAndAwe or Interface/addons/ShockAndAwe.zip

Hopefully that helps you to actually get the rest of your addons working.

If stuff doesn't register in the addons menu its in the wrong place or hasn't been unzipped and is a file not a folder. Addons live in FOLDERS if you have files in interface/addons you are doing it wrong. Folders should be the name of the addon eg: ShockAndAwe should be in Interface/addons/ShockAndAwe

Common mistake is to do something like Interface/ShockAndAwe or Interface/addons/addons/ShockAndAwe or Interface/addons/ShockAndAwe.zip

Hopefully that helps you to actually get the rest of your addons working.
    okay i know how to do it, my problem is them just not working, most of the addons are fine, even shockandawe seems to have worked now, but for some reason dbm and cartographer will not show up in the addons menu, and i did them the same as all other addons i downloaded i'm just not sure why, but i can live without them for now i guess LOL