Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it worth leveling a rogue?

Already got every other character above 70 bar a priest (and im working on that, <3 disc) and rogue, but rogues never really appealed to me but has always been the bane of my BG experiences.

Have a friend requesting an RAF to level a warrior and i don't really want to experience the 1-60 stuff again for most classes.

So, Is a rogue worth it?

Re: Is it worth leveling a rogue?

hells yes! easy and fun to level, especially with a friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".

You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".

Quote Originally Posted by ishammael_of_elune
    hells yes! easy and fun to level, especially with a friend.
    Thanks, care to suggest a leveling spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Naxcis
    Already got every other character above 70 bar a priest (and im working on that, <3 disc) and rogue, but rogues never really appealed to me but has always been the bane of my BG experiences.

Have a friend requesting an RAF to level a warrior and i don't really want to experience the 1-60 stuff again for most classes.

So, Is a rogue worth it?
    Depends on what you consider worth your time. A rogue was my 2nd class I ever played and my main through all of Vanilla. They've obviously changed quite a bit since Vanilla but from what I can tell (leveled him up to 80) they're still quite effective at PvP and PvE. They still have massive burst, even though Blizz has effectively made the Subtlety tree mostly non-viable. Assassination is great for PvP and can be very viable for raiding, while Combat is pretty much the same solid spec for raiding it always was.

In a PvP aspect there's nothing like stunlocking and the element of stealth. Rogues have multiples tools for CC and escape and can belt out massive burst when attacking right out of stealth. A rogue in the right hands can be very effective at locking down healers, harassing ranged dps, disarming melee, ninja-capping objectives, all sorts of things. They're not just a simple weapon that hacks and slashes, there's actually a lot going on with a rogue.

Edit: in regards to your question about a spec--there's no real wrong way to spec while leveling. Combat has the ability to AoE mobs and makes attacking several at once fairly easy. Assassination/Sub are both fine for burst dmg from stealth and big backstabs or big hemo crits with the right weapon.

Best thing to remember as far as weapons go: if you go assass use daggers, if you go combat or sub use maces/swords/fist weapons.

Yeah level combat or mut. Really fun. Or sub! Got shadowstep sprees. Idn, any spec works great. They all do the same stuff. kill shit
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSuze View Post
    You've mistakenly made the assumption that I'm not capable of buying MORE poutine.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxcis
    So, Is a rogue worth it?
    Who else is going to open all those lock boxes? Leveling a rogue was really fun for me... stealthing past mobs you don't want to fight and what not.
    I had a problem with dps at 80 though. I was combat and struggled to get past 2k. Probably because I was using daggers. I later switched to mutilate and not regretting a thing
    "This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest."

Nope rogues are bad, roll a dk so you can get nerfed and squished in arenas.

leveling, yes
    play pvp, why not
    raid with him, i dunno :P

I found myself getting bored of my rogue, but thats me, and it was kinda fun for awhile :X
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&cn=Chimaria

People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

I leveled a rogue as my first character and had a blast while leveling (mostly solo with a few instances).

However, after raiding with him a lot, I got so painfully bored of combat it wasn't even funny (Back in BC, it was really the only viable raid spec until 3.0). Since then, I've found it boring to level as combat too. I switched to assassination to get 80, but it was still kinda meh. I've tried subtlety a few times, and it was interesting, but too random/unreliable to do well in most cases.

As far as PvP, it's true that you can go around ninja-capping nodes, laying in ambush for easy targets, etc. It can be fun in bgs, but I wouldn't roll a rogue just for arena (they do well in them of course, but you have to really get serious about the class).

If you've never leveled a melee and/or class that can stealth, and you can still have fun with a very simple rotation (sinister strike X5, evicerate) for a big part of the process, then I'd definitely give it a go.

My main is a rogue, I've always loved rogues in every game though. I really enjoy the stealth "feature" while leveling/soloing, it's just something else, makes the game more fun. Especially on PvP realms.

Only other class i have found as much fun to play is a priest, disc specced to be more precise, in PvP & PvE. So I would have to say yes, level yourself a damned rogue!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Making a rogue was the best decision I ever made in WoW.

absolutely its worth making a rogue - getting them geared however for say ToTC 25+ is a bit more difficult especially for combat, NSM for mute.
    insert PC something here

15+ Year Old Account

Forget about levelling a rogue. Mine is sitting at 70 for now. I couldn't motivate myself to level her, and so far have chosen warrior, priest, shaman and even paladin over her to take towards 80. Perhaps one day it will be fun to play a rogue again -- and people have it right in saying that they are easy to level -- but for now, there is just no excitement in playing the class.

To each his or her own, though. If you want to go melee and chop things to pieces with fast weapon swings, while laughing in glee at how useless an enemy becomes before your stunning prowess, then go ahead. And level as combat; but I'm sure this may have already been mentioned.

I only PvPed with my rogue during TBC, but if you enjoy both sides of the game I'm sure some people derive enjoyment out of the PvE side of this class.

BTW, posting in the rogue forums probably wasn't the best place, as responses will likely be biased.
    For the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by ishammael_of_elune
    easy and fun to level
    Wait, what?
    We talking about the same class here?

Uther- Our bads are better than your bads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Wait, what?
    We talking about the same class here?
    Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing...

Well if you want to just level, then ya go for it they are fun. If you want to do endgame stuff... for pvp dont even bother. Rogues are so bad right now. PvE they are pretty good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

I have only ever played a rogue and I am getting quiet bored day by day, as combat spec I find times where I just generally dose off (quite literally) or like power nap LOL I like rogues but I think I rolled one because I liked the class the whole assassin thing, not what they could do or what they couldn't do..... oh and maybe the way some of the gear looked xD like them Dungeon set 1 helm the REAL rogue helm IMO the gear from some questing and the lower dungeon level / tier gear items look FAR better then anything we seen today...

IMO

leveling was FAR more fun as a rogue then end game content, period.

but remmber I havent played ANYTHING outside rogues :S so you could say the same for anyone that has played the same class since pritty much day 1, just get burnt out with it or something ?

Quote Originally Posted by VonGimli
    Well if you want to just level, then ya go for it they are fun. If you want to do endgame stuff... for pvp dont even bother. Rogues are so bad right now. PvE they are pretty good.
    Are you sure you're talking about rogues with the PvP? We're in a great place pvp-wise, e.g RMP is one of the strongest arena comps.

Quote Originally Posted by Erekt
    Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing...
    Leveling rogue is hard? It's the easiest of them all imo, as long as you stay the fuck away from zomgelitez.