Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Tank Paladin Build - Need Opinions

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZE0xA0ugGsIufdx:GpccMz

I should also note, I did skip out on Divine Sacrifice, I realize this, don't tell me I'm dumb for not taking it please because I realize that.
    9/11/08 - Priests will never forgive, and never forget.

Re: Tank Paladin Build - Need Opinions

My first response is 'that's awful'. But what's the intention behind this? Maximising tps using SoV/Reckoning?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaryi
    My first response is 'that's awful'. But what's the intention behind this? Maximising tps using SoV/Reckoning?
    Wasn't aware Reckoning/SoV weren't necessary anymore.

I guess I should note in the main post I haven't MT'd since BC.

10+ Year Old Account

if someone could link a good spec i'm looking for one too. my prot spec is godaweful.
    Look up, see the buzzards circling?

Without Divine Sacrifice it'll be hard to maintain threat as an off tank, but otherwise it's fine

Quote Originally Posted by agir215
    Without Divine Sacrifice it'll be hard to maintain threat as an off tank, but otherwise it's fine
    What about a Main Tank?

and just curious but what does Divine Sacrifice do threat-wise?

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxo

Beginning of a cookie cutter spec. Don't put any more points in anything that's already been spent, and put the remaining points in Ret.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxRbhbc

The spec I'm currently running atm, though I probably need to rework it a bit to pick up Vindication

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowclaimer
    What about a Main Tank?

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxfMobc

This is what I use and I'm the main tank for my guild. I've off tanked plenty of times and have no problems with threat without Divine Sacrifice.

I know I put DS in the build I linked, I was just saying it's not absolutely needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowclaimer
    What about a Main Tank?

Nothing threat wise, I have no idea what agir is talking about - Divine Sacrifice is -not- a threat skill, it's for raid wide damage absorption/mitigation. And good tanks can easily utilize it while MTing (eg, MTing heartbreaker and popping it during a quake to minimize raid damage).

i wouldn't go for that, you will have problems with your rotation. having 10sec cd on consecration and not having speced lesser cd on your judgements isn't a very good idea.
    9-6-9 rotation works perfectly now, and will work perfectly in the next patch.

currently, i'm thinking about:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...7Q0V,H-a,10894
    (if you have soneone to keep up the attack speed debuff, e.g. in raid)
    or:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...KQb1,Hwa,10894
    (for addtanking/heroics etc.)

if you have any suggestions, feel free to inspire me
    if you find some mistakes in grammar or spelling, keep them...

Changes:

Reckoning is bad. Don't take it.

You need 1/2 in Improved Judgements or you're going to lose a TON of threat as your rotation will be non-optimal. Look up the 9-6-9 rotation.

Crusade is a better threat talent than Seals of the Pure.

Vindication has changed quite a bit recently. It is now a really great mitigation talent. Take it.

IMO 5/5 in Divinity is neither necessary nor all that helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by agir215
    Lay off the heroin, bro.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Reckoning is generally not important. Yes you can get some extra threat out of it, but its not huge.

Here's a link to a bare-bones build with the important talents and glyphs. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZA0xA0uMusIufdxokZm I cannot over-stress the need for one point in Improved Judgments - you need it for the 696 threat rotation. The leftover points are commonly on Seals of the Pure, and/or going deep into the ret tree for more threat. My current build includes Pursuit of Justice for the run speed - useful in Trial of the (Grand) Crusader. One point in Spiritual Attunement is sufficient, because of the large amount of mana gains from Blessing of Sanctuary and Divine Plea. The extra healing from Divinity tends to inflate overhealing on you more often than not, so it not critical either.

Since you're new from BC - here are some tips. Use a regular tanking weapon, not a spellpower weapon. The basic tanking rotation goes like this: use a 6-second cooldown, use a 9-second cooldown, use a 6 second cooldown, wtc. You can create two cast-sequence macros to do this for you, see below.

For glyphs, do NOT use Glyph of Consecration - it also goofs up the 696 rotation. Do use Glyph of Divine Plea - free 3% damage reduction.

6-second:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=6 Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of Righteousness
    9-second (yes, it has a shorter reset in case I choose to skip Consecration):
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=5.5 Judgement of Wisdom, Holy Shield, Consecration
    Further thoughts: Divine Sacrifice isn't particularly necessary, especially if you are the main tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaryi
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxo

Beginning of a cookie cutter spec. Don't put any more points in anything that's already been spent, and put the remaining points in Ret.
    Very good start to a spec!

I'd say finishing Imp. Judgment is still ok, since you pretty much have to go higher in ret and there isn't much else to take. Brief discussion of other talents:

Imp. HoJ: OK sometimes, but mostly useful for trash. Gives your interrupt a shorter CD, but that's almost always someone else's job.

Seals of the Pure: Will only be worthwhile if we get 5 more talent points. And even then maybe not. Burst threat matters a lot, so get ret talents instead.

Reckoning: TPS comes from a lot of sources now, so extra melee swings aren't as good as they used to be. Also, this can get you gibbed if the boss can still parry you.

Heart of the Crusader: Nice for 10-mans with no ret in the group. Also nice for multi-target fights.

Imp. BoM: Nice for 10-mans, but less likely to come in handy overall.

Vindication: Very big AP debuff on your target. Can save your life. Doesn't stack with demo shout, demo roar, or CoW, but unlike all of these it is passive. Sometimes it won't matter, but if you're not sure one of those debuffs will be up, it's great.

Conviction: Decent threat talent.

Pursuit of Justice: If you always stand still in fights, you may not notice this one. But if you move much, it helps a LOT. Since we have no distance closer, this can save lives. Tuskarr's Vitality (boot enchant) can make up a little for skipping this.

Crusade: Big TPS talent, especially against certain mob types. 6% extra damage on all attacks really helps you get a threat lead.

I recommend this http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0t...ufdxfMobc:pjGc , but you ultimately have to go with whatever suits your style. Still, I'm very skeptical of Reckoning and Seals of the Pure, since they only help a small portion of our TPS.

Edit: added glyphs to build.

Just a quick question, is anyone else using SoC for heroics/add duty? I find it to be just as effective (and a lot easier) than tab targeting with SoV. Seeing that all your attacks at that point will have some form of aoe ability, making it effective for groups of 4 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by specialops192
    Just a quick question, is anyone else using SoC for heroics/add duty? I find it to be just as effective (and a lot easier) than tab targeting with SoV. Seeing that all your attacks at that point will have some form of aoe ability, making it effective for groups of 4 or less.
    Never even considered putting the point in it. Though most Heroic/Raid pulls are 4 mobs, it's easy enough to frisbee, then taunt the mob you missed. By the time the taunt's worn off, Consecration's down and threat on the 4th add isn't an issue for me.

How's your experience been with it?

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0t...dxfMzbc:pNGcmV

This is the tanking build I use. I prefer Seal of Command over Conviction because I think gaining a FAR superior trash seal is better than 1% crit. Glyphs are really dependent on whether A) You're expertise capped B) You need more threat or C) You have aoe threat trouble. Glyph of Divine Plea should be kept no matter what. Replacement glyphs for Seal of Vengeance and Hammer of the Righteous can include Glyph of Avenger's Shield, Glyph of Judgement, Glyph of Righteous Defense, and possibly Glyph of Salvation. The first two are solely for greater single target threat, the third ensures your taunts will not miss provided you are already at hit cap, and the last can function as a weak shield wall provided you can handle losing 20% of your threat while still keeping aggro.
    ( \_/ )
    ( >.< )
    ( /\__/\
    (>O.O<) ---- MeOW!!
    ~m__m

Quote Originally Posted by specialops192
    AS, Consecrate, HoR, and Holy Shield are fine for AoE threat. If you never tank in raids, then I guess it doesn't matter, but if you do, you shouldn't waste a talent point on SoComm.

Edit: In response to the poster above me, I don't see any point in taking talents or glyphs based on trash unless you're still gearing up for raiding. The HoR glyph and SoComm aren't worthwhile for any boss fights right now. Using them in a raid spec seems pretty unhelpful. Good point about the Judgment glyph though- it's nice for threat if you're expertise capped and don't need SoV anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootofalleli

Edit: In response to the poster above me, I don't see any point in taking talents or glyphs based on trash unless you're still gearing up for raiding. The HoR glyph and SoComm aren't worthwhile for any boss fights right now. Using them in a raid spec seems pretty unhelpful. Good point about the Judgment glyph though- it's nice for threat if you're expertise capped and don't need SoV anymore.
    Actually, the SoV glyph continues to be more threat tan the judgement glyph right the way up to the Expertise HARD cap of 56.

Deleted