Armpen worth it for Algalon?

I'm putting together an item level 226 set for the Algalon achievement, and I'm trying to decide between stacking Armor Penetration or stacking Agility. (This will also determine which trinkets I use)

I heard that Algalon has zero armor...so does this mean that I should stack agility and forget about armor penetration? It seems the most logical, but you never really know.

Re: Armpen worth it for Algalon?

This is a very unique question that likely is unanswerable by a non-theorycrafting board. You really should use a spread sheet and compare your two sets with math.

I'm fairly sure Algalon has armor.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    This ^

The first answer of course is consulting the spreadsheet, but I would be very surprised to see an arpen setup outperform 4 piece T8 with high rupture and agi stacking at the ilvl 226 limit.

Definately 4pct8,5 with agility stacking , definately no discussion about it.
    You can't reach a decent ArP lvl with =<226 ilvl gear

Algalon does have armour, but as said, definetely get 4 piece T8.5 and stack Agility, don't avoid ArP just don't gem/trinket for it.

Pretty sure Algalon actually has high armor.

But like Executia said there really is no discussion about it, you use 4pc t8.5 and you have to put rupture back into your rotation with all agility gems.

Algalon should have 13,083 armor just like all other WotLK raid bosses.
    In <ilvl226 gear, you're going to want to run 4pc T8 with high rupture and agi.
    No question about that.

Uther- Our bads are better than your bads.

Thank you so much for the helpful answers everyone. It's good to know what armor Algalon has, and yes, you're right about stacking agility. I was remembering back when I stacked armor penetration in Ulduar, but I had forgotten that this was pre-nerf. I suppose it would be pretty darn hard to hit the new cap, even if I went mace spec and had mjolnir.

I guess I will stack agility but still use the runestone, since the spreadsheet does indicate that's better. And yes, I normally spreadsheet this stuff, but after that little rumor on Algalon's lack of armor I wasn't sure if the spreadsheet would be accurate. Good to know that it still is.

Runestone is a pretty amazing trinket even without using it to soft cap. There are not two better options at the 226 and below level.

Best of luck with your run.

Actually if you're using Mjolnir and Mace Spec I suspect you'd managed to hit the ArP cap without too much trouble, hard cap is only 1150 with Mace Spec. - 665 from Mjolnir is 485, not hard to obtain from alll your other gear (and gemming).

Easier to go for pure Agi though.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    I'm fairly sure Algalon is made out of stars, I don't see any stars wearing armor brah, it'd melt off

Quote Originally Posted by SilentMG
    Actually if you're using Mjolnir and Mace Spec I suspect you'd managed to hit the ArP cap without too much trouble, hard cap is only 1150 with Mace Spec. - 665 from Mjolnir is 485, not hard to obtain from alll your other gear (and gemming).

Easier to go for pure Agi though.
    The armor penetration hard cap is now actually 1400 (oh lovely nerf!) so I'd have to reach 525 ArP on my own if I went mace spec. I don't have anything better than Vulmir and Stonerender though, so I'll be going maces regardless, unless a sword OH drops for me to match my Serilas before we fight Algalon.

Quote Originally Posted by Picklehead
    The armor penetration hard cap is now actually 1400 (oh lovely nerf!) so I'd have to reach 525 ArP on my own if I went mace spec. I don't have anything better than Vulmir and Stonerender though, so I'll be going maces regardless, unless a sword OH drops for me to match my Serilas before we fight Algalon.
    I know the ArP Hard Cap is 1400.

Unless you're Mace Spec.

You'd need 485 from gear.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by SilentMG
    I know the ArP Hard Cap is 1400.

Unless you're Mace Spec.

You'd need 485 from gear.
    Mace-specc removes up to 15%
    15% of 1400 = 210
    So that brings him down to 1190.