Priests Penance Glyph

i have been playing on the 3.3ptr testing a disc priest, y with talents reducing CD of penance and the glyph reducing by 2sec it still only says 8sec CD on the tooltip. Even if the tooltip is wrong its not down to ~6sec.

Re: Priests Penance Glyph

???
    12-2glyph=10

10-20%=8

so they changed it to 12sec CD, i thought it was 10sec. Thanks

Penance CD was lengthened some time ago. It went from 10 base, to 12 base. Glyphed and talented it went from 6.4 to 8 seconds on the CD (10-2)*.8 to (12-2)*.8.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Penance CD was lengthened some time ago. It went from 10 base, to 12 base. Glyphed and talented it went from 6.4 to 8 seconds on the CD (10-2)*.8 to (12-2)*.8.
    Totally a fail move on Blizzard's part. Instead of changing the talent, they should have changed the glyph. There's really no spec scenario (pve or pvp) where penance isn't pretty much a first-choice-must-have glyph.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick
    Totally a fail move on Blizzard's part. Instead of changing the talent, they should have changed the glyph. There's really no spec scenario (pve or pvp) where penance isn't pretty much a first-choice-must-have glyph.
    But GC pretty much went something like this:

"Everyone pretty much already has the glyph, and we're fine with giving a reason to keep using it". Umm, what? really?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

It was a nerf. They found Penance to be too strong. Why would they give us a cookie when they felt like we needed a nerf? They like where Penance is at now, if they'd left the cooldown and given us a different Penance glyph to buff Penance, we'd be stronger than we are now. If they're happy with where we are now, why would they make us stronger?

They didn't like 6.4 second Penance. They felt like 8 second Penance would be good. They liked the result and left it. They don't like calling things nerfs, but that's what it was. Blizz does that now and then when they find something too strong. What would you have wanted the new Penance glyph to be? Reduced mana cost? No one would use it anyway. Increased damage portion? I'd like it, that's for sure. Not sure Priests need more offense though. Even as 54/17 I rarely use Penance offensively.

Honestly? My only complaint is that at 8 seconds instead of 7.5 or lower it doesn't line up as well with PW:S. :P It was a nerf though. The glyph was required before and nothing has changed. Look at Warlocks in PVE, Life Tap is their top glyph for all specs. Lame, eh? It was the risk Blizz took with glyphs. Still, that's the point... it's not as if the change made Penance a required glyph. It already was. It was just a straight nerf.

I do not mind penance as it is now, yes it is a nerf but it is still good. It was a bit OP if you ask me with only 6 seconds cooldown. I did not mind being OP however :-P
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

It was a nerf. They found Penance to be too strong. Why would they give us a cookie when they felt like we needed a nerf? They like where Penance is at now, if they'd left the cooldown and given us a different Penance glyph to buff Penance, we'd be stronger than we are now. If they're happy with where we are now, why would they make us stronger?

They didn't like 6.4 second Penance. They felt like 8 second Penance would be good. They liked the result and left it. They don't like calling things nerfs, but that's what it was. Blizz does that now and then when they find something too strong. What would you have wanted the new Penance glyph to be? Reduced mana cost? No one would use it anyway. Increased damage portion? I'd like it, that's for sure. Not sure Priests need more offense though. Even as 54/17 I rarely use Penance offensively.

Honestly? My only complaint is that at 8 seconds instead of 7.5 or lower it doesn't line up as well with PW:S. :P It was a nerf though. The glyph was required before and nothing has changed. Look at Warlocks in PVE, Life Tap is their top glyph for all specs. Lame, eh? It was the risk Blizz took with glyphs. Still, that's the point... it's not as if the change made Penance a required glyph. It already was. It was just a straight nerf.
    Most people were fine with the nerf, just how they went about it was what people did not like. Most people wanted the glyph to be nerfed not the spell itself.

When the glyph was introduced for Penance, it was 5% more chance to crit (on each tick, hooray). I would've taken it, Renew's pretty crummy to glyph for as Discipline.

Then they buffed it to 2 seconds off cooldown, and everyone almost shat their pants and raced for it as fast as they could. Everyone got it, then Blizz is like "Nope. OP" and instead of nerfing the glyph, they nerf Penance because "Everyone already had the glyph".

Umm, what? 8 seconds is fine, but that wasn't the way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    When the glyph was introduced for Penance, it was 5% more chance to crit (on each tick, hooray). I would've taken it, Renew's pretty crummy to glyph for as Discipline.

Then they buffed it to 2 seconds off cooldown, and everyone almost shat their pants and raced for it as fast as they could. Everyone got it, then Blizz is like "Nope. OP" and instead of nerfing the glyph, they nerf Penance because "Everyone already had the glyph".

Umm, what? 8 seconds is fine, but that wasn't the way to go about it.
    I thought the glyph started at 2 seconds off and went live, but a Blue said they were going to change the glyph to 5% crit but people complained. We were given some time with a 6.4s CD on Penance before the base CD was nerfed in a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    I thought the glyph started at 2 seconds off and went live, but a Blue said they were going to change the glyph to 5% crit but people complained. We were given some time with a 6.4s CD on Penance before the base CD was nerfed in a patch.
    Actually, thinking back, that's sort of closer.

It started as 2 seconds on the PTR, but PTR got it nerfed to 5% crit. Then they said "We felt this change was unnecessary" and boosted it back to 2 seconds just before it went live. A short patch later, the base cooldown was nerfed.

So all in all, the only thing they accomplished was stealing a glyph slot to do the same thing that you had before 3.1.

That's actually not accurate. It was 10 second CD with -2 second glyph. On PTR it was then nerfed to 12 second CD and +5% crit glyph. Blizz then realized it was too much of a nerf, restored it to -2 seconds and that's how it went live. It was never 8 seconds and the +5% crit glyph.

Basically glyphs are completely useless because there isn't enough balance or variety to really offer a choice or allow any real "customizing," which was the intent. Now Bliz just designs the classes assuming that you have the 3 mandatory glyphs. If glyphs had never been invented their effects would have just been included in the base spells when they were tweaking them.

What they've done with Penance proves this.

To make glyphs actually customize your characters play style they'd have to do a SHITE TON of balancing and we all know thats not Bliz's strong point. If I were in charge of glyph design I'd change it so that you only get one major glyph and 5 minors. The minors would be... minor. The major would be a major tweak to the classes play style. Helping one spell while hurting another. I'd offer 3-5 per class and each one would be focused at pulling the play style in a specific direction. It would still require a lot of balancing though. It would be a full time job for one person.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

They screwed that up when the went away from the original plan. Originally they intended glyphs to customize specific abilities. So you'd have a 'crit glyph' that you could apply to say, Shadow Bolt. It would then crit 5% more. Things like that. They opted for something more similar to talents and yep, glyphs became required very quickly. It's not something they can undo without an overhaul.

They screwed that up when the went away from the original plan. Originally they intended glyphs to customize specific abilities. So you'd have a 'crit glyph' that you could apply to say, Shadow Bolt. It would then crit 5% more. Things like that. They opted for something more similar to talents and yep, glyphs became required very quickly. It's not something they can undo without an overhaul.
    SO it seems that they are trying to do the original idea of Glyphs with the Path of the Titans(at least somewhat).

We can only hope.