Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: [MAGE] Question/Answer thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthunter
    Okey, i will do my best to convince him about this
    Here is his armory link, I might have glorified him alittle but he used to have 3x T9 before the Onyxia helmet - And i consider that close to.

Thanks for all the help.

http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...Hand&n=Zenitka
    You should start by telling him to at least glyph his arcane spec (AB-AP-Molten armor) and if he really wants to stick with fire to fix his spec and reglyph after reading stickies. To be honest I think he should be doing the research for himself or he'll probably never understand his class.

Quote Originally Posted by Varhek
    You should start by telling him to at least glyph his arcane spec (AB-AP-Molten armor)
    AM > AP glyph by far

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta
    An arcane mage needs sp->haste and then crit->mp5/int.

So my question is, is the 4-set bonus really that good? An item (pants) dropped some days ago for me and it would have increased my sp ~24 and my haste by ~2.10%, but it would have taken my set bonus away. I didn't take the item, but should I have?

I assume you are referring to the T9 4pc? Which is a 2.5% increase for arcane mages (According to EJ). However, whether the new item is better or not is what the program RAWR is for. Use rawr, and all your questions will be answered

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthunter
    We have a mage in our guild.
    He is awful at fire, he cant make 4k dps with close to full T9 - well maybe on Jaraxxus.

We where able to get him to respecc arcane, and now he does ok...but there is a big problem since he says he dosent like to play arcane and that he wants to go back to fire.

Is there anything that i can "use" to make him more interested in arcane?

Since otherwise i see only the kick option, and i try to keep an open mind.
    Get Me instead i'll transfer in a second if i got to raid on my mage!

I'm curious about whether i should play fire or arcane and if you got some pointers on my specc. (I Really do prefer fire, but feel like i'm underperforming sometimes in the pugs when i only do 4,5k ( unlucky with the rng) on beasts etc, since i know i can go higher.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...her&n=Abbigail

Quote Originally Posted by HellBurn
    If you want to level up using arcane you can, but not until level 40or something when you get evocation at 2mn. That sure helps a lot.
    Cheers, i'm off to bed
    I'm going to disagree here. Really shouldn't level arcane till 60/64 when you get AB and Arc barrage.

I hear killing mobs with arcane missiles is pro. (Hint: It's not)

Fire is fine at any level though, takes more mana and has less survivability, but kills things faster.

But I still think frost> everything in terms of leveling. But I'm biased, as it's my favorite spec

Quote Originally Posted by Taun
    Get Me instead i'll transfer in a second if i got to raid on my mage!

I'm curious about whether i should play fire or arcane and if you got some pointers on my specc. (I Really do prefer fire, but feel like i'm underperforming sometimes in the pugs when i only do 4,5k ( unlucky with the rng) on beasts etc, since i know i can go higher.

Your fire spec seems fine, and like you said, its RNG. Things I note about your gear is you only appear to have 1 blue gem (the weapon) unless I am seeing things wrong? The meta requires 2 blue gems. Also, you can make a small difference by changing to epic gems, and making the gem in your weapon sp/spirit instead of sp/stamina. Really you just need to upgrade your gear.

As to fire or arcane - you could do either, I suggest fire since you prefer it. Your gear would work either way.

Deleted

You need more hit, 17% is the cap for FB spec. Change gems to epic. You need one more blue gem to activate meta (use sp/spirit), which I think you should put in boots. Other than that, it's just gear.

Thx for the answers!

Reason for the low hit for FB is that i always count on a SP or Boomkin, but got other gear to make up for the hit if they're not there. (you can't always count on pugs).

Thanks for the note on the blue gem, just changed my chest and well i just missed it.

Gonna change to epic gems such and such when i get the gold for it.

But thanks for the pointers gonna look into it.

Gonna change to epic gems such and such when i get the gold for it.

You can always buy epic gems for 10k honor from the vendor in org, and save your gold for chants/ repairs :)

But if you don't like pvp that might not be a very viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiun
    You can always buy epic gems for 10k honor from the vendor in org, and save your gold for chants/ repairs

But if you don't like pvp that might not be a very viable option.
    Wintergrasp is a great way for those who don't like pvp to do this. Most of the time it takes 5 minutes, and if you get all your quests done plus the win you get around 25k, including the one defensive quest and gathering quest.

15+ Year Old Account

maybe it's because i made a huge drunk txting mistake last night, or the fact that i don't have anymore essays to write this semester, but i actually have a sort of question, which can turn into a discussion. i've recently started building a BiS list with the available gear, and since it's the holidays and my mage guildies aren't really active right now, i need someone to run this gear through rawr and see what kind of DPS it would give. also, if anyone has any suggestions as to what pieces should be switched around or better pieces, feel free to clue me in. new mages can also use this list to get a feel for what they can expect next patch and possibly ease up their gearing decisions.

NOTE: HV after an items refers to the heroic version of said item, which is not out yet.

Helm:Sanctified Bloodmage Hood
    Neck:Amulet of the SIlent Eulogy
    Shoulders:Sanctified Bloodmage Shoulderpads
    Back:Frostbinder's Shredded Cape
    Chest:Sanctified Bloodmage Robe
    Bracers:The Lady's Brittle Bracers (HV)
    Gloves:Gunship Captain's Mittens
    Belt:Crushing Coldwraith Belt (HV)
    Legs:Sanctified Bloodmage Leggings
    Feet:Plague Scientist's Boots (HV)
    Ring 1:Ring of Rapid Ascent
    Ring 2:Ring of Maddening Whispers (HV)
    Trinket 1:Dislodged Foreign Object
    Trinket 2:Muradin's Spyglass
    Weapon:Frost Needle (HV, no 25 man weapon to compare to yet)
    Off Hand:Shadow Silk Spindle (HV)
    Wand:Corpse Impaling Spike (HV)
    BfA Beta Time

Although I agree that may be a good discussion to have, this is neither the time nor place for it. We don't know all the loot and haven't discovered all the heroic items, so making a BiS list right now just to be replaced tomorrow seems pointless. Also, this thread is for helping mages with questions which generally won't be "I have everything but the hat BiS, what is the BiS haat". I'm sorry, but by that point you'll probably know. So again, I agree it's a neat discussion, but have it elsewhere.

This thread isn't necesarily for basic question Gasillio, we can also start small discussions about more advanced things, though I agree this is not the time to talk about PTR BiS. We barely have a complete list and are weeks away from the release so I don't see much point in making a list, aside from giving you a list of priorities I guess.
    Anyway, you end up around 11k5 dps with the list you gave.. if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta
    An arcane mage needs sp->haste and then crit->mp5/int.

So my question is, is the 4-set bonus really that good? An item (pants) dropped some days ago for me and it would have increased my sp ~24 and my haste by ~2.10%, but it would have taken my set bonus away. I didn't take the item, but should I have?

While it is true Haste > Crit in arcane, don't forget it's still 5% nonetheless.
    Also, when we say haste is much better than crit, it mean 10haste is better than 10crit as it scales better as for 1% crit you need 45 crit rating, but for 1% haste you only need 33 haste rating. Whereas 5% crit is not THAT much worse than 5% haste. You understand ?
    Therefore your 5% gained through the 4pc bonus will amount in roughly 4% haste (i'm just pulling the numbers from the top of my head, but it can't be far from that).
    So to conclude, yes the 4pc T9 bonus is worth it.