Another DPS thread. Help would be appreciated.

Hi. I have not played my hunter since TBC when BM was decent and almost everyone was using a spam macro :P

I came back to my hunter about 2 weeks ago, got it to 80 and slapped on as much BOE / TOC5 gear as I could get my hands on (thanks to having 4x80s)

Now I was still in the mindset that spam macros = win like in TBC but I obviously found out it is useless, lowers your dps and will never beat a shot priority rotation.

The problem is that my main is a healer and my other alts are MDPS so I don't really know the benchmarks for RDPS. Currently using Kill Shot > Black Arrow > ES > Multi > Serp > Steady. If I get LnL proc I use ES wait 2 sec ES wait 2 sec ES (dunno if this is best) and I use a wolf as a pet for howl (his talent setup is cookie cutter spec for raiding)

At the moment I am pulling off 2.9k-3.4k depending on the boss fight (moving / stationary). Is this OK dps for a 2 week old toon in my current gear? (lolol expertise ring, I know - first epic drop)

Any tips for improvement would be appreciated. Obviously I need to farm badges but I'm a bit iffy on farming them with Triumph being heroic loot next patch = EZMODE

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...cale&n=Cultist

Re: Another DPS thread. Help would be appreciated.

sir your doing well for a alt it beats out on all my alts and i have 3 atm. But get a chest enchant then sit and wait on next patch easy alt gearing mode next patch. You can send the BoA enchants to this alt if ur exalted with hodir and ebon blade on your main and im sure your are. Til then sit back relax and pop a few allaince for me with a 3.5k explosive shot for me in WG

I'd switch that blue trinket for banner of victory (reg TOC). I don't get why you aren't getting more dps then my hunter.

Let's see...you should be able to do 3.8k without viper, 3.5 with viper at your current set.

Hey mate
    firstly, grats for being back as hunter

about rotation... atm im using as prio

kill shot -> explosive shot -> black arrow -> steady shot refreshing serpent whenever its not up between one shot and another. im skipping multi/aimed atm and dunno if i should stick it back between black arrow and steady.
    just one thing... maybe youre waiting too much between one explo and another on LnL proc, i've seen another thread where someone said it should be something much lower (i'll try to find it and edit with link).

ps: lovely crafted pieces

Kill Shot -> Explosive Shot -> Black Arrow -> Serpent Sting -> Aimed/Multi Shot -> Steady Shot

I seem to recall hearing that Aimed Shot is better for your DPS if there is only one target, because it benefits from more talents than Multi-Shot does, but as soon as there is more than one target to hit, Multi-Shot is better.

Also, on LnL procs, the ideal thing to do is ES, wait 2s (which is GCD + .5s), ES, wait 2s, ES, which is what you said you were doing.

One more thing, as soon as you don't need those points in Focused Aim, move them to Resourcefulness, those seconds off of the Black Arrow cool-down are big.

All of this is from memory, so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    Casual/hardcore and skill/noskill are not related.
    You can casually raid a couple short nights per week, and if you are skilled, you will clear that content eventually.
    Or you can bang your head on it every night for 5 hours straight and eventually you will clear it even with crap for skills.

First of all thank you all for taking the time to reply to my thread. Let me reply to your kind advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshima
    get a chest enchant then sit and wait on next patch easy alt gearing mode next patch. You can send the BoA enchants to this alt if ur exalted with hodir and ebon blade on your main and im sure your are. Til then sit back relax and pop a few allaince for me with a 3.5k explosive shot for me in WG
    Yeah I'm currently trying to find an enchanter to do +10 stats on chest but I find it's easier to wait for "[Enchanting] LF Work" than spamming "LF Enchanter /w"

As for the enchants you have hit the nail on the head. I am exalted with hodir and ebon blade on my main and didn't want to pocket the time / expense when they will become BOA (also my shoulders suck at the minute so the worst case scenario is patch hits, upgrade to furious shoulders and buy ebon blade enchant for them)

Finally I've been doing WG as much as possible to get the 232 pants for 40 marks and I love flying in the air, waiting for sniper proc, dismounting, Black Arrow, ES, disengage a few feet from the ground ;D (if anyone knows a better way to pop off burst in the air within the timeframe given I would appreciate that too lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizesu
    I'd switch that blue trinket for banner of victory (reg TOC).
    Yeah that trinket is my dirty little secret. In honesty the reason I have not grinded normal TOC for the trinket is a combination of trying to get into better content / farming WG for legs / completely forgetting I have a sucky trinket hiding there. I may just save badges to buy Mark of Supremacy with Triumph badges after the patch to sort out the hit rating but at the moment if I drop 1 point it puts me 0.5% under hit cap so I can't win lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khnox
    Hey mate
    firstly, grats for being back as hunter

maybe youre waiting too much between one explo and another on LnL proc, i've seen another thread where someone said it should be something much lower (i'll try to find it and edit with link).
    Thank you it's a very enjoyable class which I have missed a lot.

I read somewhere that you have to wait for the GCD (1.5) + 0.5 so you do not clip the shot. I can't say I use addons to track this... I literally just pop the shot, count 1, 2 in my head and then fire another.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabu34
    Kill Shot -> Explosive Shot -> Black Arrow -> Serpent Sting -> Aimed/Multi Shot -> Steady Shot

One more thing, as soon as you don't need those points in Focused Aim, move them to Resourcefulness, those seconds off of the Black Arrow cool-down are big.
    As I mentioned in reply to Chrizesu I could save badges to buy Mark of Supremacy with Triumph badges after the patch as that would eliminate the trinket + talented hit problem in one go

Off-topic slightly but what spec is the most noob hunter friendly and still yield good dps?

I tried BM and didn't like it much. I am currently MM spec but was wondering if survival would be slightly more noob hunter friendly in terms of yielding higher damage without all the good gear.

Quote Originally Posted by op3l
    I am currently MM spec but was wondering if survival would be slightly more noob hunter friendly in terms of yielding higher damage without all the good gear.
    Yes, indeed -- it has lower gear requirements for getting decent dps and depends less on a 232+ iLev ranged weapon. If you are pve and you are at an early point with your gear, I'd highly recommend SV.

SV for a starting out hunter, no doubt, it scales way more with AP, agi and crit compared to MM which scales more with whatever weapon your using and to a lesser extent, your stats.

on topic:
    2 sec between each LnL shot is a bit low, it depends alot on the boss. if ur standing 10 feet away, 2 sec is perfect. if your at max range, go for a lot less from where it hits to when u shoot a new one (flight time ftw) might wanna get at least an addon to see the timer on your debuffs, i normally shoot when its at 1 sec left.
    else you seem to be doing it right, and resourcefulness is GODLIKE (okay, not really. but its good) so get it asap, hit cap shouldnt be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by grenolith
    (flight time ftw)
    No, there is no flight time -- don't confuse the animation or latency with time it takes for damage from your shot to register. Just check a combat log.

I don't like your spec.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#cZ0eVooZx0ci0cIhedAhsd

Is the basic cookie cutter build. I'd rather have resourcefulness then getting 3/3 focused aim. Get the ony neck that's insane easy to get to boost your hit. Or go pro and get the grim toll from naxx 25.

Every fight depending on the tank should start off with,

Kill Command, ES, BA, Serp, SS.

--DEPENDING ON THE TANK--
    Good tank = Rapidfire
    Mediocre = FD then Rapidfire

Eventually when you get better gear you will NEED to hit FD then rapidfire, unless you have vigil.

Some people say wait in-between ES. When LL procs. If you have a Instant shot such as aimedshot or Serp needs to be refreshed do that. otherwise fill with a steadyshot then follow up with another ES.

It is important to keep your Serp on the target also, it is higher priority then your next aimed or steady, but lower priority then explosive, or even sometimes BA. (depending on your spec)