Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shadow Priest Profession

Hello I am a shadow priest in PvE and PvP and I am planning on switching from tailoring to engineering. The reason for this profession change is that I feel like tailoring is not helping me that much. So My question is should I do it?
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...e+Inner+Circle here is my current armor will probably change some specs.

Here is my list of pros and cons for doing this switch

Pros:
    Pets (I am a very big fan of these have 100 right now)
    Rocket Boots (these are such a huge deal for me)
    Just basically all the fun toys from teleporters to butlers
    ofcorse the Health Injectors and flying mounts
    Reforging trinkets in Cata

Cons:
    Loosing flying mat
    Loosing cheap leg/cloak enchants
    Loosing bags
    and Loosing Reforging cloth items in cata.

Should I switch or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crombie
    You grow even more powerful and an item is added to your blank inventory. It is "Pair of Val'kyr Wings".

Re: Shadow Priest Profession

After looking some more there seems to be more cool engineering things but I am leaving this topic to hopefully thrive while I get my sleep
    You grow even more powerful and an item is added to your blank inventory. It is "Pair of Val'kyr Wings".

one more person then me looked at this thread? well this is my last try please answer the question up there ^
    l
    l

okay I am guessing this thread is probably going to die

From a spriest pow = loosing the cloack chants and the leg chants already make it a rather poor deal. They are both awesome.

Then again.. engineering has those that funky haste gimmick you can slap on hands which might be awsum in 3.3. go figure.

I think ill stick with tailoring anyway.

Tailoring cloak enchant is by far the best you can get, being valued at almost 3 times better than the Eng one (about 70 dps better)

The eng haste proc for gloves is by comparison only about 24 dps better, although since this is on use you are able to pop it during a burn phase, which could potentially net better damage overall.

Still would be a ton of gold to buy all the mats, and I personally wouldn't do it.

eng is going to be nice on Rated BGs

the glove tinker / rocket boots / cloak chant is going to be on par with any profession for us in 3.3

Eng has alot of fun stuff too like jeeves , mailbox , teleporter , choppers , etc

switching tailoring to eng ehhhhh i dunno.

losing the cloak chant would be the biggest concern as it is still statistically the best single profession bonus in the game for a dps boost. It will also cost you a crapload to switch unless you have a mining alt with an epic flyer. Jeeves mats alone are around 1k , mailbox , teleporter not cheap either, and the choppers well , i couldnt care less personally but those are fun and cost a crapload.
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

Keep tailoring and take engineering. I've just ditched alchemy because I can buy flasks for less than the mats to make them, even considering the procs. Tailoring is better than engineering from a dps point of view, but engineering is infinitely more practical for solo content. Not to mention access to the AH from Dalaran - I didn't even know about that until I power-levelled engineering today and was amazed to see the AH robot on the counter.
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

15+ Year Old Account

What I will do is point out the things that engineering has & the good and bad part of having it.

Nitro Boosts - These are an increase of dps over the icewalker but the drawback is if you are only slightly over hitcap that you might have to gem for hit which would decrease your dps instead. Granted you don't have to use Nitro Boosts on your boots but its one of the reasons for having engineering since its an engineering-only enchant. Shadowpriest.com has Nitro Boosts valued at 18.2 while icewalker is only 9.1 if you don't need the hit but it jumps to 28.1 if the hit is factored in. draw

Hyperspeed Accelerators - Great for those burst moments but the haste granted is less than what you got with the T8 4p bonus which only gave a couple % haste. Atm that haste isn't all that beneficial to us over the standard spellpower enchant which you would be losing since its an either/or enchant. Shadowpriest.com actually has this as being a better enchant than 28 SP. They put the value of Hyperspeed Accelerators at 44.2 while 28 SP is just 28. Come 3.3 this might be good but it still probably won't be as good as raw spellpower. engineering

Springy Arachnoweave - The raw spellpower it provides is great when you think in terms that its always there. The drawback is that its inferior to the proc from the tailoring enchants. The 27 spellpower compared to the 73.8 from Lightweave Embroidery is a huge difference. The 73.8 spellpower is because the proc lasts 15 seconds & has an internal CD that amounts to once a minute (295 spellpower * .25 times per minute = 73.8 spellpower). tailoring

Mounts really aren't an issue since you're losing 2 mounts to pick up 2 different mounts so that's a draw. If your reasoning for dropping a profession has pets as a deciding factor is a pretty weak on unless your sole enjoyment in playing WoW is making a massive collection of pets. They have no bearing on gameplay since they are non-combat. The combat pets were great pre-BC since trinkets were hard to come by outside of raiding but with the massive amounts that have been released with BC and even more with WotLK those pets are virtually never used. Healing injectors aren't even a viable arguement after they were changed to allow EVERYONE use in BC & are even a non-existant arguement now that potions stack in 20 just like the injectors do. Now the bombs & other fun stuff is great and all but they're meant to just be a fun thing to have. You should ask yourself "how often do engineers actually use those "fun things" and you'd be suprised when you see they virtually never do.

Now lets talk about Cata changes. As a shadow priest, you should look at how many pieces of gear you wear that can be reforged and compare it to how many trinkets you have on. I just don't see how one would compare to the other.

As for cheap leg enchants, if indeed you are a heavy pvp'er & pve'er you might want to concider how much you would save yourself from paying the couple gold for thread for the tailoring ones compared to a few hunderd per pants you would have to spend any time you upgrade your pants. There also is no lvl requirement for the tailoring ones which means with Cata's new leg enchants you might be able to upgrade immediately like most of us did with WotLK.

I personally don't think its worth picking up until/unless engineering gets the major buff that it desperately needs.

On a side note, I noticed some strange things about your gear & spec I wanted to point out. Picking up inner focus instead of maxing out focused mind is very much outside the normal shadow spec. I can understand it for your pvp build since it would allow for more crit chance if you have to pop hymn but other than that its bad. You should also do whatever you can to drop Talisman of Resurgence as shadow. The int it provides is worthless compared to a crit or spellpower or even haste trinket with some sort of proc.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Hoddie
    Keep tailoring and take engineering.
    His second profession is inscription which is by far better than engineering & tailoring.

i have inscription+engineering myself, and i must say im loving it.

Hyperspeed glove accelerators: Damn useful. u can use it every min, and its great on fights like icehowl where u can use the extra burst after he slams into the wall. (and without a doubt itll be very useful in ICC aswell).

Nitro-boost: I LOVE IT. Anubarak burrow phase kiting, Cleansinng on worms in togc25 (dispersion + rocket boots pwnz) Switching colours on valkyr, and getting away @ faction champs. its SO GOOD for SO MANY things. i wouldnt trade it for the world.

Springweave: Not so noticeable since its a passive boost, but it is still pretty useful. beats 23 haste.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by psych.
    Springweave: Not so noticeable since its a passive boost, but it is still pretty useful. beats 23 haste.
    Straight from shadowpriest.com for values of enchants

[quote]Enchant: Greater Speed (15.0)
    Enchant: Springy Arachnoweave (27) - Requires Engineering
    Enchant: Lightweave Embroidery (73.8 = 295/4) - Requires Tailoring[quote]

The 23 haste enchant was dropped as being the recommended enchant for cloaks when the embroidery got buffed a while back. Before the buff it was only slightly better thant he embroidery too. I think it the numbers were like 13 or 14 vs the 15 from the haste. As for the rest of the things you listed, those are all situational at best. Anub isn't hard to run away from. Getting the green poison & running to the fire isn't that hard (doesn't even require using dispersion since your healers will throw you heals on the way over). The time it takes to run from one side to the other for color changing is minimal & I'm positive you still have your boost buff after you get back in place after activating them (assuming that you weren't rooted in place if they backfired). And faction champs is a pvp fight where psychic scream is your friend. If you get something on you just fearbomb & fade since fade does work on them eventhough its a "pvp fight".

Basically what you're giving as reasons someone should have engineering for ToC is really just saying "I'm a baddie that fails at doing what I'm supposed to do & need help from a profession's enchants that doesn't benefit pve to help me be gooder".

hmm thank you all I will wait for Cata beta or 3.3 to see what gets better

LOL

The 23 haste enchant was dropped as being the recommended enchant for cloaks when the embroidery got buffed a while back. Before the buff it was only slightly better thant he embroidery too. I think it the numbers were like 13 or 14 vs the 15 from the haste. As for the rest of the things you listed, those are all situational at best. Anub isn't hard to run away from. Getting the green poison & running to the fire isn't that hard (doesn't even require using dispersion since your healers will throw you heals on the way over). The time it takes to run from one side to the other for color changing is minimal & I'm positive you still have your boost buff after you get back in place after activating them (assuming that you weren't rooted in place if they backfired). And faction champs is a pvp fight where psychic scream is your friend. If you get something on you just fearbomb & fade since fade does work on them eventhough its a "pvp fight".

Basically what you're giving as reasons someone should have engineering for ToC is really just saying "I'm a baddie that fails at doing what I'm supposed to do & need help from a profession's enchants that doesn't benefit pve to help me be gooder".
    Do u have no brain whatsoever?

Sure its easy to run from anub, and yes u dont NEED engi to survive on the fights. BUT it is better and it allows to dps more.
    use some freaking common sense. If u take 5 sec to run to a portal and change colours, u lose 5 secs of dps. if u use rocket boots and only take 2.5 secs to get back and forth, u only lose 2.5 sec.
    are u so naive?

i think we should be calling u "a baddie that fails at doing what ur supposed to do" .

Back to OP. the guy has a point that its not NEEDED, but it is beneficial. every second less spent running, is an extra second of dps. dont mind what he said, he clearly does not have a clue

15+ Year Old Account

LOL

Sure its easy to run from anub, and yes u dont NEED engi to survive on the fights. BUT it is better and it allows to dps more.
    use some freaking common sense. If u take 5 sec to run to a portal and change colours, u lose 5 secs of dps. if u use rocket boots and only take 2.5 secs to get back and forth, u only lose 2.5 sec.
    are u so naive?

i think we should be calling u "a baddie that fails at doing what ur supposed to do" .

Back to OP. the guy has a point that its not NEEDED, but it is beneficial. every second less spent running, is an extra second of dps. dont mind what he said, he clearly does not have a clue
    Please link your armory so we can see your level of gear.

LOL

are u so naive?

Such irrefutable proof cannot be ignored.

gaymer77 before asking to see other peoples links to their gear you may want to check your own bud. I mean TotC has been out for how many months now and you only have 2 pieces of T9 gear the rest is Ulduar gear.....

Anyways you and Ralphie are quoting a guy that can not properly form a sentence and has no idea how many spaces come after a period. I don't know about the rest of you but I would skip right over the obvious troll without giving him the time of day. I mean we go from a guy asking about professions to arguing between obvious trolls and regular members which really makes no sense to me.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ekans04
    gaymer77 before asking to see other peoples links to their gear you may want to check your own bud. I mean TotC has been out for how many months now and you only have 2 pieces of T9 gear the rest is Ulduar gear.....
    Yup I sure do. I took a break from Wow from the first week of Sept until the first week of Nov so yeah my gear isn't 4p T9 like some other people. I make no excuses for my time away from Wow at all. What I don't like is people who have only been playing a priest for a year coming in here talking like they know what they're talking about (ie Psych). It is obvious from his posts that he doesn't know shadow priests that well which is why I wanted to see his armory.

15+ Year Old Account

Oh and its pretty obvious that Psych got carried through ToC. He doesn't even have a Yogg kill on 25 man or all the elders killed or even General killed but a month later he has achievements in the 10 man with those killed which is the same level of progression that his GM has with his various achievements from May 09 through Aug 09.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77
    His second profession is inscription which is by far better than engineering & tailoring.
    Both engineering and tailoring are far better choises than insc. Also tailoring beats engineering by far atm (gonna see how it is in 3.3) as mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77
    On a side note, I noticed some strange things about your gear & spec I wanted to point out. Picking up inner focus instead of maxing out focused mind is very much outside the normal shadow spec. I can understand it for your pvp build since it would allow for more crit chance if you have to pop hymn but other than that its bad
    If you really need 1 point on Focused Mind when having Imp.ST, using dispersion when it doesn't cause dps downtime (doable on every boss in TotC) and timing your SF correctly.. then you arent timing your SF correctly or using dispersion as you should should be. I'm currently being raiding without ST/impST (25hc anub spec) and can't go oom with this, I'd like to hear how you go oom WITH imp.ST. On the other hand, Inner Focus is nice add to dps especially when used on Mind Sear.
    "any type of person converting RL money into WoW is retarded by default." - Choppers
    "That makes all of WoW players retards, since we all pay our monthly fee." - Kenjji