Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Why do people say Vanila is better? And is it really ? (Not a troll or QQ post)

yup, its why some people still say Mario brothers 3 on NES was the best, or final fantasy 2 (or 3) for the SNES. People have good memories associated with the past and are pretty fuzzy on the negatives.

personally i still think meridian59 (pretty much the first MMO/RPG in '96) was and is still one of the best pvp experiences out there, but people look at the graphics/gameplay and couldnt possibly agree, but back in '96 before VoIP and network parties this game was a blast. (Think DOOM with skills/spells).

Re: Why do people say Vanila is better? And is it really ? (Not a troll or QQ post)

I liked Vanilla because PvP didn't suck.
    In addition to classes not being balanced towards PvP viability.(Fyi, I was a druid.)

The only flaw it really had was PvE role viability for some classes(Dps/Tank hybrid specs not viable for their roles.) and that was mostly because of itemization.

People who remember Vanilla WOW are the same kind of people who remember the past with the "those were the best times" mentality that forget the shit they were forced to put up with when things were not so good. I can guarantee if you were to stick them on a Vanilla server with Vanilla restrictions (same talent trees, gear, level restrictions, etc.) they'd go screaming back to Wrath and whine about how that was NOT the way Vanilla was, even though it's exactly the same and they got exactly what they wanted, minus the rose-tinted glasses of the "awesomeness" of Vanilla WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dairystyle
    People who remember Vanilla WOW are the same kind of people who remember the past with the "those were the best times" mentality that forget the shit they were forced to put up with when things were not so good. I can guarantee if you were to stick them on a Vanilla server with Vanilla restrictions (same talent trees, gear, level restrictions, etc.) they'd go screaming back to Wrath and whine about how that was NOT the way Vanilla was, even though it's exactly the same and they got exactly what they wanted, minus the rose-tinted glasses of the "awesomeness" of Vanilla WOW.
    Yea that must be it :

Just like I could stick you in a normal classroom and you'd whine that you weren't in the special ed class.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by det
    I definitely enjoyed Vanilla, raided all Instances. But I also liked TBC (again all Instances) and now WotLK. It is just a bit different with every xpac.

Like comparing the 6 Star Wars films or the 4 Indiana Jones.....
    this

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

Define "better". Community was "better" as the game itself was harder, not atracting as many retards as Wotlk does. Server events like AQ opening were awesome, despite of server crashes those events are something you will remember. Raids rewuired more effort than today, meaning only good playesr were able to raid the really cool stuff (not talking about MC here, which was hard enough in its days).

There were shit stats on items, mindless rep grinds and unbalanced pvp along with some other stuff i can't remember, but overall is was better.

Ofcourse money making wise, Wotlk beats the crap out of vanilla but that doesn't make it better. It only makes it easier to play for some. Saying that Wotlk is better is like saying that Lady Gaga is a better singer than Pavarotti, because she sells more CD's (pulled the example out of my arse but you know what i mean).

Defining "better" is a subjective term. Subject it to someone's opposing opinion, it's wrong.

I started playing about 3 months after the game came out, and I also remember vanilla wow as being more fun, but you know why it was more fun? I had a crap ton of friends back then and every expansion that has come out since then more and more friends leave the game, or just leave the server. And I know its not a big raid but I saw mention of how hard it was to get a pug going in vanilla wow... Lol I used to run 5am (server time) ZG pugs that were a lot of fun and we usually got it cleared... <3 Sel

Vanilla wow had it's epic moments...but there was quite a bit of fail too. I think it's lacking in forward thinking myself to pigeon hole wow into a "large scale game".

The FACT is, I enjoyed the epic scale of 40 mans. 15 man UBRS...ect. but that's about all I enjoyed.

There were no achievements. Pugging was a complete nightmare(the new dungeon finder tool in 3.3 will RULE ALL!) Faction grinding was a colossal waste of time..and lets not forget that professions sucked.

I too remember grinding for full dungeon 1 set so that I could go to MC. It sucked.

say what you want, but now I can have a REAL LIFE, and log on and enjoy the game I love and hang out with friends...and stay married! They start taking steps backwards and limiting the game to four night a week epicness - I'm out.

I joined WOW at the end of Vanilla and the beginning of TBC. Comparing TBC vs WOTLK, since it is relevant then to compare Vanilla to WOTLK...

> TBC raids c*ckblocked most guilds. Resist sets for Hydross and Black Temple. 25 man attunements that were steadily removed. No 10 mans - Kara was actually hard for many guilds and ZA was hardly a faceroll.
    > Boring dailies, until Sunwell dailies came out.
    > High entry requirements for Professions, such as JC (had to buy patterns as world drops off AH); some profs were not useful.
    > Respecing was a pain; harder to find tanks or healers.
    > PVP gear was better to obtain and easier, then you would use the same PVP sets, that looked like its PVE equivalent, in a raid.
    > ONLY 25 man guilds; rarely puggable content unless it was lead by a guild who had already done it.
    > ** Still c8ckblocks to raid content ** Boring PVP content.

--------------------------------------

WOTLK IS an improvement over prior XPACS. This is a learning process and odds are, Blizzard WILL improve over WOTLK AND incorporate what people liked about Vanilla in Cata. So why the QQ? Seriously?

WOTLK:

> Content for everyone. (Hard/heroic modes; and normal modes that are puggable; Achievements also yield better gear, mounts, or titles).
    > People wanted REASONS to go back to old school content and CAN! You can turn off XP gains OR go for the achievements in old world content.
    > Ways to twink/gear alts faster! Ways to give your alts mounts earlier! Access to gold so raiders aren't QQing about repairs and consumables, and so WOW doesn't become a 2nd job, buying ebooks on making "gold!"
    > A variety of PVP battles for ALL types...close-knit arenas and WSG, isle of conquest, and wintergeasp...

----------------------

The point here is...most of the QQing I see comes from Kids. Yes, kids, who are sub-18, or want to harken back to the halcyon days and regail in the nostalgia of the moment. They *expect* the game to be 100% for them, as if it would never change, as if the way it is NOW isn't fun.

As I mentioned WOTLK > TBC, which I believe is > VANILLA. I've seen MANY posts saying how PVP was lame in Vanilla, that you'd have to grind PVP like you had no job, and that WARRIORS owned all. While PVP is not balanced, IT IS better, and you can use the dual spec system to be viable in PVE and PVP! So why the QQ?

As you don't care about what I said, I don't care about what the QQers says then. Vanilla is done and over with and if that's why you played, you will move on. MOST people who are playing love it now. If not, they are burning out from excessive play, grinding raids, boredom, or RL taking over. You probably won't love wow forever, but you would be hard pressed to find a game as equally engaging and fulfilling. I've yet to buy an XBOX game in years simply because I hate how fast a console game ends. I pay $60 (or buy used) and won't play it for NEARLY the time I do wow.

Lately I have...

- Pugged raids.
    - Done hard modes with my guild.
    - Done achievements with more casual friends.
    - Done PVP with my pvp friends.
    - Leveled alts FASTER to see content from another angle.
    - Tried HORDE side for another aspect of the story.
    - Done holiday events.

There's more to do, the flow of the content is better in northrend, the professions are useful, the mounts are cool. How can you NOT like the game? Perhaps it's because you've done one thing for 5 years.

ive played since wow first came out in europe yay! well takinga year and a half break during the vanilla days.(lack of internet)

and to be honest i loved vanilla but am soooo glad we will not be going back there. it had its moments but as a whole the game is far superior today than it ever was back then.

it means i can have a life and still play whilst i enjoy the game.

so thank you vanilla for getting me into teh game but bigger thanks to tbc and wotlk for keeping me interested!

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by det
    or the 4 Indyana Jones.....
    The 3 Indy films.....the 4th doesn't count because it's what I imagine an abortion would look like from the 1960's! back when all you needed was a coathanger and a bottle of vodka....only with CGI, Aliens and Shia Labeouf's one trick acting ability.

I swear he's the same person in EVERY film! I've never wanted big robots, nazi's or rogue computers to win more than if the outcome means watching him die in glorious cinema widescreen!

Anyway back on topic, for most people it's a case of rose tinted glasses, everyone remembers the good things about Vanilla and forgets about the bad. I think each expansion has had it's good and bad points but as it all started with vanilla for some people it holds a special place

Re: Why do people say Vanila is better? And is it really ? (Not a troll or QQ po

IMO people claim vanila is better because of a few things. Firstly the player base was a lot smaller and the raid sized bigger (40) so the competition was much more fierce and the OG players of wow REALLY like that. With badge gear and so forth the competition for DKP or however your guild distributes loot is practically gone, i dont know how often i see bad players rolling nothing under a 90 and grabbin up 3 pieces of gear a run, the competition is on a whole new level. Its about who gets all the bosses down in an instance without dying (which is epic) compared to spending WEEKS just trying to get 1 boss down, with no "OMG 10 ACHIEVZ POINTZ", dont get me wrong though, its better for that, it allows players like myself to compete in the near to top levels of raiding without having to play the game 6 hours a day. Also it was fresh, it was new, it was cool. Problem is, all that new fresh cool shit, has gotten newer fresher and way way COOLER and that for sure makes wotlk better than vanila. again i also think its like some of the other posters have stated, people these days will cling to anything they know well. People these days do not seem to take change very well, be it in their personal life or in the video games they play.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Board3r24/Sig.jpg
    (Sig too large)

Quote Originally Posted by losfer
    I like vanilla better. Why? Because I had alot more fun back then.
    The community was alot better. Today chats are getting spammed by kiddos, crying about a ninja, anal or whatever.
    In vanilla there was in my experience 99% less ninjas, because the community was so good the ninjas got frozen out.
    Didnt have name/faction/server changes back then.

Vanilla was better because it felt like an mmorpg. Now all we got is elitist, selfsentered whiners, and there is no way to ignore them all
    Kinda. You don't think vanilla was better though. You agree with me then.
    You think the community was better. The game itself was far more clunky and horrible at the time, but the community was better. Thats my opinion, anyway

in terms of tuning its prolly Anub25Hm

in terms of surrounding its for sure KT with all weapons and phases together with firefighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Kael'thas and Kil'Jaeden are actually quite similar. For one, both names start with the letter K, which is short for...kuhraaaaazy. Second, both had a hard-on for the color red and blood-elf girls. Third, they both were defeated at the Sunwell. Lastly, they both hate people who make threads comparing things that are as different as bananas and grape drink.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Why do people say Vanila is better? And is it really ? (Not a troll or QQ po

Call me right, call me wrong, don't really care. But in my honest opinion, people say that Vanilla was better because they associate a nostalgic feeling with their memories of those days. For example, I absolutely adored Tomb Raider 1, but if I was to go back and play it now? It would seem outdated and lacking in so many ways compared to the games today.

Basically, Vanilla is said to be "better" because so many people have fond memories of the 40 man raids, the near constant PvP, the attunements, the list goes on.... But, if we were to play it nowadays, I'd bet my bottom dollar that at least 60% of the people up in arms about the current state of the game would go back to Wrath.

The game hasn't deteriorated in quality at all, it has only changed.
    Skullmaster - Slathe - Duat - Tamriel

Absolutely everything happens for a reason - Omnia Causa Fiunt.

Vanilla was perhaps better in terms of community. In gameplay, however, both BC and Wrath are clear winners.

What? My class only has one role, despite 3 trees? Sure, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bedian652
    Vanilla was better, because moons didn't raid, everyone tried because itwas fun back then
    Moons still don't raid, I don't imagine one could fit into an instance. People still try, unless you're in the wrong guild (in which case, get out of it) and the game is still fun.

But that is subjective, of course.

Vanilla didnt have buttwhipe flying mounts, terrain actually meant something. Exploring and obstacles means dick in postvanilla. Huge cities, mountains, gorges, forests, walls, lakes and dangers were everywhere, and constant fun of meeting hordes. Now its just something you fly over on "autowalk" while watching tv.

15+ Year Old Account

Well, my best memories are from vanilla. That's why I'll always remember vanilla as superior, but I do know it's just nostalgia messing with my head. If I am gonna be totally honest - the raids in TBC were the greatest ones so far IMO (none of the WotLK raids, with the exception of Ulduar, can compare, though I hope ICC to do the job too). The PvP became a lot more balanced since TBC, at the cost of less awesome crits from my warrior.

Though, there is one thing I still think is better than TBC and WotLK; that's the level-up dungeons. The ones in vanilla were so much more fun compared to the ones in the expansions, mainly because they were not just a one-way path to the end boss in many cases.
    "You can cut our wings but we will always remember what it was like to fly!"
    #nogg-aholic