My gear makes me happy in pants for now, my DPS does not

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ckhand&n=Gworf

Hello all, first time poster and I wanted to get people's thoughts on this gemming for STR versus ARMOR PEN and such.

Keep in mind my character is not a raider, and has had to earn most of the gear via pvp or badges. I am working my way toward a triumph badge reward and will probably go with the shoulders to remove the last of my PVP gear

My DPS is usually high 2700 or so, but I feel it should be a lot more. This is only tested recently as i just got the edge of ruin enchanted and have not run a heroic yet. I am just at the HIT CAP, so I had to gem a lot of STR + HIT gems. Does anyone see anything wrong with my current spec or gem layout?

Re: My gear makes me happy in pants for now, my DPS does not

2.7k is fine for the gear you have. I believe the accepted time to gem arpen is when you have over 1600 str unbuffed

Yeah I figured I have done all I can now gear wise considering I dont raid (yet) and it is just a matter of time and running heroics and getting badge gear. I guess it is a waiting game.

Buffed and in instances sometimes I do really well and lead the PUGs but on the target dummy I was just TERRIBAD

warriors scale HUGELY but when not having the best gear you will rage starve and do very little damage overall no matter how good you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MildCorma
    I found myself in a magical setup the other week and my damage dropped through the floor like a 90 year olds tits

Like Marithas said, warriordps suck at low gearlvl, and excel at top gearlevel. It's mostly due to how the rage mechanics work, which I hope blizzard will fix at cataclysm launch.

Quote Originally Posted by charette
    I believe the accepted time to gem arpen is when you have over 1600 str unbuffed
    When to and when not to gem for ArP has nothing to do with how much str you have, it comes down to how much arpen you have from gear and if you have or don't have Grim toll or Molnir' runestone.

Check the thread in my signature if you have any questions about when to gem for arpen.

You won't do anywhere close to the damage you can do on a real boss (where there will be raid debuffs) on a target dummy. I just recently broke 4k DPS on a target dummy (Battle Shout, Sunder Armor, no Bloodrage, Death Wish, Recklessness, or Shattering Throw) in almost full Tier 9 when other classes have probably been doing 4k on a dummy in Tier 7. Windfury and Kings alone will make a huge difference. Don't worry about your DPS on a target dummy too much.

Perfect title for a thread I feel the same way. I have read up on rotation over and over and still barely hit the numbers I (wish) I could. Landsoul's spreadsheet and RAWR both have me at a certain amount of dps, and when I was on the dummy, I hit those numbers almost exactly. When I'm in a raid, I suck. I decided to do wowwebstats:

http://wowwebstats.com/qdcuc35ywghpw

Hopefully you can see this link and perhaps discuss why I am not getting the numbers I should be, or maybe I am? How does charlette know that 2.7 is appropriate for Gworf's gear? ...I'm not sure

Thanks!

oops, here's me:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ang&n=Fussfuss

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by charette
    2.7k is fine for the gear you have. I believe the accepted time to gem arpen is when you have over 1600 str unbuffed
    Uh, what?
    Gemming ArP has *nothing* to do with the amount of strength you have.
    What to consider when gemming ArP is, if you have a Grim Toll or Mjolnirs Runestone or not, and if you are at around at least 40% or so passive ArP. Some may argue on the %, but around there is the general consensus. It also depends on how many SOCKETS you have to actually do the gemming. If you have 45% ArP passive but like..4 sockets on your gear, you wont hit soft cap so, no point in doing it.
    Gotta make sure you gem correctly. A few things to remember when gemming ArP:
    16 ArP gems = 1.14%
    20 ArP gems = 1.43%
    34 ArP gems = 2.43%
    Use that to determine where to put your gems and plan it out on paper before hand, because it's pretty easy to fuck up gemming if your not paying attention.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns
    Uh, what?
    Gemming ArP has *nothing* to do with the amount of strength you have.
    This is false.

Although there is no magic number as to the amount of strength before you begin gemming for Armor Penetration (because of the fact that all of your stats are a factor in this decision, not just strength) it does affect it. The more damage you deal, the more damage is reduced by armor:

Opponent has enough armor to reduce 50% of damage.
    Warrior deals 1000 damage.
    500 damage was mitigated and 500 was dealt.

Same opponent.
    Warrior deals 2000 damage.
    1000 damage was mitigated and 1000 was dealt.

And so the amount of armor mitigated was increased as the Warrior delt more damage. This means with more strength, Armor Penetration increases in value.