Effects of ARP on Unholy

It is widely said that ARP is a very low stat choice for Unholy dk's. I am hit capped regardless of which trinkets i use. Greatness card is a must, and since i don't have death verdict yet i have a few options.
    Mirrior of Truth = Crit + Chance for 1000ap 10 seconds
    Banner = 84 arp + Chance of 1000ap 10 seconds
    Grim Toll = 83 hit + chance of 612 arp 10 seconds

Testing with Mirrior on Heroic Test dummy (confirmed no misses) Horn only buff - 4040dps over 3 min.
    Testing with Banner on Heroic Test dummy (confirmed no misses) Horn only buff - 4010dps over 3 min.
    Testing with GrimToll on Heroic Test dummy (confirmed no misses) Horn only buff - 4180dps over 3 min.

Since i can confirm that i don't miss anyway the extra hit isn't the benefit. Its the Proc of 612 ARP rather than 1000AP. The extra hit is a wasted stat, but it appears to be better for dps than extra crit \ ap which is the other choice.
    This basically means the theory is wrong. Sure arp doesn't work as good for unholy as it does for blood, but it works better than the other trinket options until deaths verdict. This is only true for single target fights I am assuming. Arp will effect your main target only, where as the crit bonus from Mirror will effect the all the diseases on every mob in range of you when you spread. So for Anub or faction champs, Mirror would be better (not confirmed). Fights with single boss or single focus such as Northrend beasts grim toll would be better.

Intelligent input would be appreciated.

Here is my armory. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Wraithfiend

Re: Effects of ARP on Unholy

ill take static crit over useless hit any day. Hasn't anyone ever told you that dummies are one of the worst places to test dps?

Its the only place you get an consistent environment to compare gear.

It is the fact that your doing a dummy test is the reason for being off

use a sim it'll prove mirror is better

Melee is my largest % of damage on single target fights, Theoretically grim toll would improve that, but whereas grim toll only buffs a certain pertantage of my attacks IE melee's and BS,... More AP across the board increases all of my abilities and thus provides a larger dps increase. Next patch ArP will be better (not sure how much but definitely some) since SS will now have a physical portion

You also dont have bone shield which is just epic fail, Your getting 78 ap from the point you moved from Bone Shield to Bladed Armor 78.8 AP=/=2% increased all around damage Overall you seem to forget that Unholy is not a Physical damage build and you forgo better options

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by killarth
    It is the fact that your doing a dummy test is the reason for being off

use a sim it'll prove mirror is better
    This right here.

[e]: Also, does anyone know if the math has been done for whether Grim Toll would be worth it in 3.3 for Unholy?

Currently I'm Blood trying to get one, but with patch on tuesday I'll most likely go Unholy again. I'm using Greatness/Banner ( also have: Pyrite Infuser, Mirror, Bandit's all in bank ) atm, so I'm trying to figure out if I should just stick with 2 of those, or try for Grim Toll/Mjolnir untill I get something out of IcC ( or maybe a Death's Choice if we still run ToCs )

I think the reason you got better results with grim toll is because of the +hit on it and the fact you were fighting a target dummy. Basically, with other trinkets you probably had a few misses (spell) because dummies don't have raid debuffs, such as the +3% spell hit. You need to run many tests to get proper results, so many that you should probably resort to a simulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    Its the only place you get an consistent environment to compare gear.
    Not really, some specs scale much beter when fully raid buffed.

I know you're comparing gear and not a spec, but the same thing kinda goes along with that as well.

Who cares if you can max out your single target dps while it might be crap in a raid environment. A lot of fights have multiple targets for example, running around, etc.

Besides running a sim, give it a couple of raids and compare the final result.

For example, go into TOC25, clear the place (without switching gear) and look at your total damage done or whatever.
    Next week, go again, change something in your gear and look at the new result.

Takes a bit of time, but it's much much much much much much much MUCH more realalistic than a stupid dummy.

Personally I get better results out of Banner over Mirror, from sims as well. I do know the proc chance of Banner is higher, 20% chance on hit from banner, vs only 10% chance on crit from mirror. I assume disease ticks don't count for proccing Mirror otherwise I'm gonna swap Mirror back in as my second trinket next to greatness card.

The ARP from Grim toll isn't as useful as the attack power from banner, I think current stat weight on arp is something like 1.3 or 1.4, making 600 some odd arp less desirable then 1k AP, but you also want to consider that banner has a 20% proc chance over Grim Toll's 15%, making effective up time also higher on Banner.

Also was the dummy you were fighting at full health? if it's at 1 health I believe it does funny things to our wandering plague damage fudging up any results you'd get off of it.

And as far as Grim Toll with 3.3, I believe the current beleived stat weight for ARP goes up to 1.9x, making the arp from grim toll more beneficial then the ap from banner, so it's going to be all a matter of the up time on the proc effect at that point. Once 3.3 is out and we can do real testing and the sims get updated, I'm sure we could get better info, but I wouldn't be surprised if Grim toll becomes the preferred trinket for unholy over Banner, but you also have to consider that there's going to be a new ARP trinket in heroic 5 man ICC. You'd probably use that over Grim Toll sinc ethe proc chance is probably higher, and I don't think using both would be practical since even if the effects stack (I assume they would) them procing together would push you past the ARP cap unless you had absolutely no armor penetration from gear.