Thread: Mage Macros

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    So now that we're in 6.0.2, does anyone have a macro for a specific line of talents?

e.g., I pick Supernova as my L75 talent, but sometimes I pick Nether Tempest instead. What would be the macro for it to automatically change when I swap talents?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    So now that we're in 6.0.2, does anyone have a macro for a specific line of talents?

e.g., I pick Supernova as my L75 talent, but sometimes I pick Nether Tempest instead. What would be the macro for it to automatically change when I swap talents?
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /use SPELL1
    /use SPELL2
    /use SPELL3
    /run local G=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell("MACRONAME", G"SPELL1" or G"SPELL2" or G"SPELL3")
    The order of the spells has to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /use SPELL1
    /use SPELL2
    /use SPELL3
    /run local G=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell("MACRONAME", G"SPELL1" or G"SPELL2" or G"SPELL3")
    The order of the spells has to match.
    Okay, and this is awesome if I'm playing one spec, but is there one that could work cross-spec? e.g., using "LEFT TALENT" for SPELL1, "MIDDLE TALENT" for SPELL2, and "RIGHT TALENT" for SPELL3. I could just make another macro, but if there existed a way to do cross-spec, would prefer that (because that also helps for other classes, too). For now though, thank you for this as I got it working fine (except it won't pull a tooltip until I use it, heh)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Okay, and this is awesome if I'm playing one spec, but is there one that could work cross-spec? e.g., using "LEFT TALENT" for SPELL1, "MIDDLE TALENT" for SPELL2, and "RIGHT TALENT" for SPELL3. I could just make another macro, but if there existed a way to do cross-spec, would prefer that (because that also helps for other classes, too). For now though, thank you for this as I got it working fine (except it won't pull a tooltip until I use it, heh)
    A single macro with those specific spells will work for all toons/specs that use those spells, so long as only 1 of the listed spells is available at any given time. Left/middle/right talent is generally how I use this macro. For talents that change based on spec, you need the base spell (if one exists). So instead of making a separate one for Nether Tempest, Frost Bomb, and Living Bomb, you can just make one with "Mage Bomb". Or you can list each of the alternate spells and use SPELL4, SPELL5, etc. (if you have room in the macro).

For a macro called T100 (I haven't tested this, but it should work):
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /use Prismatic Crystal
    /use Arcane Orb
    /use Meteor
    /use Comet Storm
    /run local G=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell("T100", G"Prismatic Crystal" or G"Arcane Orb" or G"Meteor" or G"Comet Storm")

It doesn't get the tooltip info until you press it because GetSpellInfo isn't called and set automatically. It also won't update when you change talent/spec until you press it again.

I've been having some problems with the macro "forgetting" spell info since the patch, but IDK what's causing it and only some of these are doing it.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2014-10-15 at 11:08 AM.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [spec:2, talent:5/1] Nether Tempest; [spec:1, talent:5/1] Frost Bomb; [talent:5/2] Frost Nova; [spec:2, talent: 5/3] Supernova; [spec:1, talent:5/3] Ice Nova
    Bit more simplistic for L75, I'm sure you can figure out the others. Dumped Frost Nova when UM, because it felt weird having an entirely empty button.
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2014-10-16 at 08:54 AM.

In 5.4 i had to click on macros to display the correct spell icon in the talent dependent macros, but in 6.0 icon always goes away in the middle of a fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [spec:2, talent:5/1] Nether Tempest; [spec:1, talent:5/1] Frost Bomb; [talent:5/2] Frost Nova; [spec:2, talent: 5/3] Supernova; [spec:1, talent:5/3] Ice Nova
    Bit more simplistic for L75, I'm sure you can figure out the others. Dumped Frost Nova when UM, because it felt weird having an entirely empty button.
    Can make it much simpler (also you missed living bomb and blast wave):

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [talent:5/1] Mage Bomb; Frost Nova
    This works because Mage Bomb is the "blank" spell and will automatically change based on spec. Also, Frost Nova is the "blank" spell for the 3rd talent in row 5 (each option replaces Frost Nova) and will automatically change based on spec.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2014-10-16 at 07:23 PM.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah! I forgot Mage Bomb was still around, and didn't realize Frost Nova called 5/3, excellent! Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can also use Fire Blast as the "blank" spell for Ice Lance, Inferno Blast, and Arcane Barrage.
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /use [@mouseover, harm, nodead][] Fire Blast
    Will automatically change based on spec.

But aqua, when you spec swap that keybind will automatically change anyways, no macro needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    But aqua, when you spec swap that keybind will automatically change anyways, no macro needed.
    True. I meant it more as a tip if you want it in a macro for conditionals or other functionality.

--New frost mage here. Having trouble getting water ele to stop attacking once I stop attacking. I tried the macro given in the thread, but it's not working.

--Are there new macros for WoD for the ele that I'm not aware of? Also, I have 41 keys bound for frost. seems a little excessive... Are there any new macros that do any combining? Maybe something I'm not thinking of?

--Also, on the prismatic crystal. Sometimes it doesn't seem to be lasting 12 secs, is it bugged for anyone? And simcraft is actually showing decent results for comet storm, not sure if anyone is using that or not. It's still lacking, but might pull ahead for situations where the boss is randomly being moved and crystal can't be used, like dungeons?

--It seems like waterjet and freeze are using the same cooldown? Is there any discrepancy on when freeze should be used vs jet in a dps situation?

--Can anyone explain to me how to calculate the minimum target number for blizzard/orb vs just cleaving? Sorry, I'm a bit slow in the head, but I also haven't slept in 2 days so my brain power is pretty much nil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cockaroo View Post
    --It seems like waterjet and freeze are using the same cooldown? Is there any discrepancy on when freeze should be used vs jet in a dps situation?
    Water Jet is intended to be an alternative to freeze; for use on bosses that are immune to freeze.

Water Jet is intended to be an alternative to freeze; for use on bosses that are immune to freeze.
    yea sorry, i was thinking about in an add situation, but wasn't sure if the difference between 1 finger of frost was any better than the water jet and only 1 finger vs 2. Hell I don't know.

Speaking of water jet - possible to make a macro that cast frost bolt, water jet (before frost bolt finishes casting), then frost bolt again?

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonia View Post
    Speaking of water jet - possible to make a macro that cast frost bolt, water jet (before frost bolt finishes casting), then frost bolt again?
    The only way to do this would be /cast Frostbolt /cast Water Jet. The problem there is if you don't have BL/TW/Hero up and depending on your range to the target, you may not be getting two FoF procs. The best thing you can do is a macro to cast Water Jet. Use Frostbolt, midcast hit the macro with Water Jet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cockaroo View Post
    yea sorry, i was thinking about in an add situation, but wasn't sure if the difference between 1 finger of frost was any better than the water jet and only 1 finger vs 2. Hell I don't know.
    In an add situation (adds that aren't immune to freeze that is) it is more beneficial to cast Freeze on the pack and generate two charges of FoF instantly as opposed to having to cast two Frostbolts to build them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonia View Post
    You can activate water jet mid frostbolt i have a macro that summons my water ele and if he's summoned it uses /click PetActionBar Button6 or something like that im sorry im at work i'll post the macro when i get home

Quote Originally Posted by Armbre View Post
    You can activate water jet mid frostbolt i have a macro that summons my water ele and if he's summoned it uses /click PetActionBar Button6 or something like that im sorry im at work i'll post the macro when i get home
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod, pet] Water Jet; [nomod] Summon Water Elemental; [mod:ctrl, pet] Freeze
    This works well for me, shows appropriate tooltips, summons pet if he's dead or dismissed and casts Water Jet otherwise. Ctrl modifier allows use of Freeze. Self/Focus cast keys in combat options can cause trouble with the Ctrl modifier if they are enabled.

Thought these might help other mages too. I use a macro for the level 90 talents (MI/RoP):
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /use [talent:6/1]Mirror Image;Rune of Power

And another for the level 100 talents:

Frost
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /use [talent:7/3]Comet Storm;Prismatic Crystal

Fire
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /use [talent:7/3]Meteor;Prismatic Crystal

Arcane
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /use [talent:7/3]Arcane Orb;Prismatic Crystal

Here's another I just made for Ice Floes/Blazing Speed
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /use [talent:1/3]Ice Floes;Blazing Speed
    Last edited by Potato Bus; 2015-01-14 at 08:41 PM.