Shadow DPS Problems!

Hey, so my character name is Holyness( Destromath US). And I was wondering why my dps is so low compared to other characters of equal gear.
    My gemming is correct according to Shadowpriest.com( All Spell power with the exception of 12 sp 10 spirit for the meta)
    My rotation is near perfect( no one can get it perfect), I apply SWP only when at 5 stacks, I even pop shadowfiend for DPS, and not mana, I refresh my dots within .4 seconds of eachother and MindBlast is staying on CD throughout the entire fight( even if I must clip Mindflay)

So, big question, is it me? or is it the class in general that is putting ouot such poor dps????
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Shadow DPS Problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Barras
    Hey, so my character name is Holyness( Destromath US). And I was wondering why my dps is so low compared to other characters of equal gear.
    My gemming is correct according to Shadowpriest.com( All Spell power with the exception of 12 sp 10 spirit for the meta)
    My rotation is near perfect( no one can get it perfect), I apply SWP only when at 5 stacks, I even pop shadowfiend for DPS, and not mana, I refresh my dots within .4 seconds of eachother and MindBlast is staying on CD throughout the entire fight( even if I must clip Mindflay)

So, big question, is it me? or is it the class in general that is putting ouot such poor dps????
    You need to give a parse if you want detailed help. As well, saying your DPS is so low compared to other characters doesn't say much. A shadow priest will never outperform a lock/mage of equal gear and skill. Is low, 3-5% lower, or 10-20% or more?

Well, last night in TOC 25, I was pulling about 5k dps, while pretty much everyone was over 6-7, even people with gear not as good as mine

5k is fine for a spriest only the elite of us can pull more than 5k i recently started playign again for the 5th anavaersity (free 7 days of woot) i was pullnig 4.6k on kolgrn with my shity ilvl 200 titansteel guardian lulz and naxx/uld gear a few items later i was pulling +5k in togc ive only recently upgraded some items rings/ got the mace from toc5 heroic (FU caster dagger) i gis bracers and such and yeah 5k isnt bad just minor tweaks here and there id rather have a person who pulling 5k dps who doesnt die than a person pulling 6 7 or 8k dps who does die 20 seconds in
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Your hit rating is 464, which is way too high. Cap is 289. Dying curse can go, and replace it with literally anything. After that, you can still lose 100 hit. All of your eq is not enchanted (chest, boots), your weapon, even though it is crappy can have a better enchant and you can replace all of those 19sp gems with 23sp.

So without a parse, your dps of 5k is about right. What is killing you at the moment is your high hit and low crit.

Claiming your rotation is perfect and analysing it to actually see how close it is to perfect are 2 different things. I've seen many people claim its perfect to find out they cast MB every 10 seconds and have DoT uptimes less than 90%....

Goto a dummy and do parses from full mana till oom then disregard the dps number and study the spells cast. You can achieve an MB in every 7.2 seconds or less, DoTs up 97% or better & MF ticks every 1.5 seconds or less... I guarantee you this won't be the case so there is some of what you can make up.

Secondly read the Shadow DPS sticky, lots of info is in there about what you can do to improve DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by hezzaba
    5k is fine for a spriest only the elite of us can pull more than 5k i recently started playign again for the 5th anavaersity

Quite possibly the worst spelling of any word I have seen on these forums. When right clicking your word for spelling errors, the closest possible match is "Adversity". That's how far off you were.
    It's anniversary, just for future reference. Spelling Police in the house.

Thanks for the advice Ill go check out a Dummy. Oh and I already know that my Hit rating is way over the limit, but to be honest its hard not going over the limit. I have no hit gems, and almsot every goddamn peice of gear has hit rating on it lol

Thanks for the advice Ill go check out a Dummy. Oh and I already know that my Hit rating is way over the limit, but to be honest its hard not going over the limit. I have no hit gems, and almsot every goddamn peice of gear has hit rating on it lol
    I agree with you to an extent, there are some items that place you well over the hit cap but even if they had 0 hit would be a better DPS item than what you currently have... when that is the case it's a no brainer, you just go over the cap and not worry too much about it.

However there are times when hit gear is barely an upgrade and you should possibly pass on it for fellow raiders who need the item.

In addition you can scrutinise your current hit gear and work out which items can be replaced by not hit items easily... so there is some stuff you can do but I agree that being over the hit cap isn't this god awful thing people make out on these forums... you really need to analyse how you are over the hit cap item by item and understand if you are over it stupidly or over it because you can't avoid it.

Not sure about your server's economy, but Crusader orbs are going for less than 300g on my server. you can easily get yourself both the craftable chest/bracers and lose some of your hit/pvp gear. Lose your H ToC5 cloak, and get your new one enchanted >.> alternatively, you can just purchase the wintergrasp 111 Sp trinket (25 shards) and use it as a placeholder until you get Broodmother/IoTDS.

even after those upgrades, you'll still be over the hit cap but not at an egregious level.

Quote Originally Posted by Somaa

Quite possibly the worst spelling of any word I have seen on these forums. When right clicking your word for spelling errors, the closest possible match is "Adversity". That's how far off you were.
    It's anniversary, just for future reference. Spelling Police in the house.

15+ Year Old Account

As others have pointed out, your over hit cap but my advice about that is don't worry too much about that atm. I know that some upgrades are large enough to take even if they have 100 hit on them when you're already close to 500. Shadow dps currently is the worst out there. Your 5k dkp isn't bad at all especially concidering you do have some problems with your gear. You're using deadly pvp bracers instead of anything pve. The only thing you get from the pvp bracers is 66 spellpower & then the regular stats. Even the bracers from H VH should be an upgrade from those. Your best bet for bracers though is getting the Bejeweled crafted since they are BIS. Also you have several pieces that are completely unenchanted. Enchant those & its an automatic increase in your dps too.