simple feral tanking

I`ve just changed my off-spec to feral and have tried tanking some heroic and so far i`ve found that i`m haveing big problems getting agro, i`ve tried reading up on it but most post are so long that sum info is outa date or your spec all year looking for the right stuff so i thought i`d made a new topic to ask on some people opinion on my problem.

firstly some the state of my bear in form no buffs are
    health 37.6k
    dam 1094-1155
    speed 2.36
    power 4958
    hit 325
    crit 35%
    expertise 28
    armour 29k
    dodge 38.7%

so far i`ve found some macros in the bear guild on this forum which ishould help
    #showtooltip swipe (Bear)
    /cast Swipe (Bear)
    /cast !Maul
    and more for mangle and lacurate but any others would be good

think my main problem is either guild wrong or most likly rotation

on a single i try best to
    enrage
    charge-followed by maul
    mangle
    faerie fire
    lac stacked to 5
    then refrsh dots when needed and use some mauls

most time this has worked but find some classes eg warlocks burst damage over agros me and i loase my rotation.

on mobs of 2-3 i`ve had to main 1st target other wise i start loasing mobs
    start on enrage
    charge
    berserk
    mangle
    swipe -maul on main target
    lac times 2 on main target
    then tab lac 1 on 2-3 taget then refresh mangle

on bigger mobs i end up just tabiong and swiping

this is where i`m having big probs i just cant seem to hold enouth agro even when got prenty of rage to use.
    i know my gear isnt that high as its a mix of 200-245hc gear but on ave about 226 gear but the chars that are giving me agro problems havnt been top geared either so i bust be doing somethink wrong.

hope some can help me out a bit and sorry if i`ve posted this in the wrong place dont tend to use forum mutch.

Re: simple feral tanking

If you're a single tank (say one a fight like in a Heroic, not a fight like Gormok) You can use Growl as part of your Rotation till your threat gen gets better. Some Important tips:

-Keep FF on CD
    -Maul on every swing (this is where Macros help if you're not able to coordinate it correctly)
    -Make sure Lacerate is up, as well as Mangle
    -Swipe is a good thing to pair with Maul if Lac is stacked and mangle is on CD.

Thats all I can really offer as far as threat Gen
    DO NOT ASK 4 NINNERVATE!>?

If you're tanking a boss, you make sure you have rage (either furor or enrage). If the boss is standing around (i.e. a five man boss), FF it to you and immediately mangle/maul it while putting it into whatever position you feel like. You lacerate up to five stacks while constantly mauling. You should just always be mauling, none of melee swings should be white hits. If someone pulls aggro, you taunt the mob. If the mob's not tauntable, you tell the DPS to keep it the fuck in their pants because as long as you're hitting buttons every second there really is nothing more that you can do.

If the boss is an important boss that could easily one shot someone else, you should open with mangle/maul. I usually FF immediately after as it increases all the damage done by the following mauls. Maul should be like 50% of your damage output.

If it's a multiple pull, maul/swipe and mangle your primary target. If someone pulls something, you taunt it. If several people pull several different mobs, you call them retards and tell them to attack your target.

There is really no superhero magic shit you can do for aggro. You have attacks that generate threat, and you have taunt. If you're using them to their full potential and people are still pulling off you, it's their responsibility to slow the fuck down and wait. If they're really that pissy about it, they can find a new group with a different tank.

You can gear for threat generation if you want, but like I said, there is no super hero button.

I find it really easy to build threat as a bear, just as easy, although not quite as sudden, as my pally.

Have lacerate, mangle and swipe macro'd with maul. Generally I open with faerie fire, then charge, mangle, build lacerate stacks, hit berserk once lacerate is stacked if needed.

Give that a go.

A few suggestions / ideas in addition to what others have said:

Single Target pull:

My preference is not to charge single target mobs, as Ive had issues w/healers saying it puts me out of range etc. I prefer using either faerie fire, as it does front end dmg and threat, and / or starting in caster form and tossing off a starfire or wrath, then shifting to bear, hitting FF and commencing my regular tanking rotation as soon as its in range. I spam maul like its going out of style, make sure lacerate is always up, stacked at 5x and mangle on for the debuff. I also make sure FF is never off cooldown, its extra dmg and threat for the duration of the fight.

Multiple Target pull:

There are a few things i like to do for AE pulls. I'll hit the mobs w/a few tabbed moonfires, then shift to bear, concentrate on my main target, blow demo roar as they get in range then swipe / maul, rinse repeat. I also tab target thru to each mob in the pack to apply at least 1-2 lacerate charges and / or a mangle, to gen a little bit of added threat on each. This helps for those dps that dont assist me properly and tend to pull agro early in the fight because of it. I also use beserk early in pull as needed and make sure to FF each mob.

Also, make sure as a general tanking rule you are using the Maul Glyph as one of your majors, as it makes it hit 2 targets. This is a MUST imo on AE pulls and helps a ton w/threat gen.

I noticed in your listing of stats that you are way over hit cap. You only need 263 as a bear tank which = 8.03%. You are also a teeny bit above the expertise soft-cap. I don't know if you specced into the extra expertise talent or not, but if you didnt, and you still have 28, you only need 25-26, not a huge deal there tho. But the hit thing I'd definitely swap out a pc or 2 of hit gear if at all possible for some better hp / armor or agi / dodge gear related pieces.

Otherwise, your stats are definitely decent. I easily tank any instance in the game currently w/my bear's gear when she's feral. You are off to a good start, keep it up and if your dps arent giving you 2-3 secs to actually HIT the mobs and get a maul or 2 off, then perhaps you need to hit THEM w/a maul or 2 over their heads! /grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppercat
    If you're a single tank (say one a fight like in a Heroic, not a fight like Gormok) You can use Growl as part of your Rotation till your threat gen gets better. Some Important tips:
    No, just no.

Never use growl on a mob that is already attacking you. It has no effect, it even states so in the tooltip.

Firtly just wonna say thx to all for posting looks like main thing need to work on is maul so the mancro i got last night should help out.
    just woona put some of my thought to people answers.

To pascel
    Love your reponce the thing i hate rthe most is that the average dps i pug with always think there imba and just wonna run though everythink no matter the tank or healers gear. As some1 thats alway a healer or a tank this angers me even on my paly were i know can get agro back easily i still never like any1 to pull before me.
    But all i can realy say is that i warned them ar start i was very rusty and if all else failed would be saving the healer 1st ;D "good think they didnt mind dying" there fault in end.

To gog
    well got t8.5/9 paly tank and will say its alot easier to build agro on paly although id dps play nicly my druid does seem to build it up well but tbh dps dont play nicly in pugs that often.

To ghart71
    using range pull is nice used to do that at lvl 70 found a rotation like this was nice
    regrouth
    rev
    wraith/hurican
    bear
    enrage
    ff
    start rotation

o and as for hit cap i know i`m way over but it on gear not gem/enchants ecept i`ve got titams chain on weapon from ages ago when needed hit so need to change to attack power btw any1 think the 2% threat on glove would be nice. as for experise it also on gear and in talents but if drop talent will be below cap so i`ll gear out at some point. My main things to work on is getting black heart to replace essence.

To peppercat
    i agree with jerv, would not use taunts in potation but would be ready to use when gro fails.
    Although that said i do beleive a taunt is usful even if u have agro as tanks can have agro but not be top of the threat meter as i beleive its malee need 100% to pul agro and range 120% so u could taunt if theres a range at say 115% threat and boast yourselt up on the threat allowing then to dps even more but not likly to help if dps are hitting dif targets.

thx again for all the help. ;D

Don't use lacerate so much on trash packs. It's slow to build up, and only affects one target.

You're far better off with FFF->Mangle->Swipe->Swipe->Repeat, and every time you restart with FFF, change target. It won't be perfect, and you would ideally FFF one target, and Mangle a different one, but steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Allour
    firstly some the state of my bear in form no buffs are...
    Stats look fairly balanced. You're over hit cap and expertise soft cap, so not dumping potential threat there. An armory link where we can view your talent / glyph / gem / enchant selections would help tremendously. Someone made a comment to the effect that if you were over enough on expertise you could drop a point in Primal Precision. Don't. Expertise is one of your best threat stats. Not to say you want to specifically stack it (you do till you hit the soft cap of 26, which you have), but you don't want to avoid it, and Primal Precision is a great return on talent point investment.

think my main problem is either guild wrong or most likly rotation

on a single i try best to
    enrage
    charge-followed by maul
    mangle
    faerie fire
    lac stacked to 5
    then refrsh dots when needed and use some mauls
    When the gear is balanced the issue is almost always in rotation. Here, you can opt to either charge in or pull w/ FF. In either case, you should have maul queued to attack and your first GCD should be mangle. While you're right that you want to build lacerate to a 5-stack, getting it there is not the top priority. Make sure to still hit your mangle and FF on CD - and always, always maul.

on mobs of 2-3 i`ve had to main 1st target other wise i start loasing mobs
    start on enrage
    charge
    berserk
    mangle
    swipe -maul on main target
    lac times 2 on main target
    then tab lac 1 on 2-3 taget then refresh mangle

If you're going to use your enrage on a pack of 2-3, when you hit your berserk you want to use every GCD on mangle. It hits 3 targets, and is your best threat generator.

this is where i`m having big probs i just cant seem to hold enouth agro even when got prenty of rage to use.
    i know my gear isnt that high as its a mix of 200-245hc gear but on ave about 226 gear but the chars that are giving me agro problems havnt been top geared either so i bust be doing somethink wrong
    Again, armory link would help. Are you specced into Feral Instinct? If not, swipe is a much less effective AOE tool to hold aggro over strong AOE dps. That's not to say this is a must-have talent, but if you're not almost exclusively serving as a MT on the boss it's a very nice one to pick up.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Feral charge
    Swipe X3
    Maul (on same target if using glyph of maul, Maul tab maul all targets if your not)
    Get ready to taunt if you lose one

Big thing if your still having probs use the maul glyph
    Beserk, enrage+ bearskin on biger pulls 4 or 5 mobs
    taunt on the ready for any you lose followed by maul
    should never lose agro imo
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Roshney
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Velynara
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Shalischa

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...Ignoranc%C3%A8

done some heroics today can thx to the maul macros and change in rotation my threat build up nicly even got up to 3.6k dps on trash with swipe/maul attackes

thx again all

15+ Year Old Account

Armory's showing resto gear now, but your unbuffed health looks too high. It sounds like you must be gemming all stam... switch out some gems for more agi (either agi/stam or straight agi).