Protret questions for arena

hi i have just been messing around on my pally and wanted to try the protret spec out.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...etree&n=Pabstt

is a link to my armory (please dont coment on gems or enchants i know what i have to do with those) but feel free to suggest anything with gear. more pve ret? more prot? take more ret set peices? anything of that nature. even spec would be cool also but please explain if its a spec change.

also i was wondering whats a good pairing (for 2s) i was thinking disc priest for extra sheilds dispels and mana burn to help get there team under controll faster

and last of all for 2s just any suggestions on comps .. sit on healers? nuke down dps? any useful tips for any comp would be awsome. ty in advance for your advice

Re: Protret questions for arena

With a priest you probably don't need the extra resilience in 2v2 from pvp gear, you could put in some PVE gear somewhere. For enchants/gems you need to go all strenght, and you don't need to care about set bonuses (except if they give str).

As far as who to nuke, you can kill either dps or healer in 2's most likely. You can probably kill restodruids/restoshammys easily in 2's with just dispelspamming and switching. But with a priest you're gonna have to keep some ppl away from him, like warriors and rogues. And your peeling is somewhat just to outburst the dps.

For setting up a kill with priest/protret i'd say it's somewhat like ret/priest, but without repentance. HoJ healer into fear, get the priest to throw some dps into your target aswell. That gives you like 11 seconds of "free bursting" wich should be enough if they don't blow major cooldowns or the dps can disarm/stun you in the duration.

A very big pro to this setup is that you have double dispels, so any magical CC will be near worthless to your opponents, although you will still sit in hex's and cyclones.

I have a better idea. Find 2 other competent people. Keep in mind they just need to be decent. Create a 3v3 team named LOLprotpwn and EZ mode your way above 1800. Past this point it might actualy require coordination. But until then.....you just stack your vengeance on 3 targets and wtfpwn anyone who looks at you funny. I would suggest a Resto DRuid and a warrior. MASSIVE CLEAVES and you can silence and chain stun. trust me..3's are where you are OP as hell. Just wear your tank set and rock face while being very untouchable and doing a ton of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliahna
    I have a better idea. Find 2 other competent people. Keep in mind they just need to be decent. Create a 3v3 team named LOLprotpwn and EZ mode your way above 1800. Past this point it might actualy require coordination. But until then.....you just stack your vengeance on 3 targets and wtfpwn anyone who looks at you funny. I would suggest a Resto DRuid and a warrior. MASSIVE CLEAVES and you can silence and chain stun. trust me..3's are where you are OP as hell. Just wear your tank set and rock face while being very untouchable and doing a ton of damage.
    i got owned in 3s by proret pally and a warrior and a resto druid team.

and i am a holy pallly...

they just nuke any type of healers..

that combo is gay

delete ur character because any sort of prot/hybrid pally in arena is probably the lowest form of pvp ever. that and an unholy dk

lol

First thing I see here is too replace your Divine Plea glyph with Shield of the Right. Keeping a healthy mana pool in PvP as Protribution is half the battle, especially if you're a CC target.

Here's my link to my setup: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ing&n=Thanndar

As to a 2s comp, a Disc priest is very nice and I'm probably going to be running that comp next season. I ran BM/Protri when S7 first landed above 1800 (eh, meh) and it's not a terrible set up either, but is dependent on the Hunter and timed Freedoms/BoPs and only a Chimera pet.

Not spec'in' into "Touched by the Light" seems dangerous all-in-all. Your spell power powers your Sacred Shield and you seem pretty interested in 2s and there will be times where ya might need to toss a heal and you want to make it count.
    "A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him."

Despite what people say here, protret sacrifices some things for utility. Your big burst comes when you've stacked 5 seal of vengeance proccs, and you have about 30s between your big bursts, meaning you can't just turn around and do a judge->divine storm->crusader strike-> exorcism for burst. You need to build some stacks up, get a procc or two, turn divine plea on, and then burst.

You also sacrifice healing for burst dmg, your offhealing will not be near a retribution paladin's heals, and you also lose the "break stun with freedom". Wich both are very good for helping your healer out when he's being pressured, an instant flash of light critting for like 3,5k and giving 2 hots for 3,7k on your healer, and then breaking a kidneyshot with freedom can be worth alot.

So don't bother ppl saying protret is just lame, it's a response to retribution lacking offensive PVP utility (which was promised by blizz to be dealt retpaladins after the burst-nerf). It's what retribution should be tbh, they need a silence and/or a short snare.

And yeah, a protret/warrior on a healer can really destroy him, but what 2 dps classes can't? Even 2 without MS can destroy a healer really quick, this isn't a protret issue, you just got wotlk'd.

i currently play prot ret in 3s at a 2050 rating, only a little over 150 games played and we dont get to do them often so id say were doing alright.

I use the 2 pc t9 prot set, helm and legs. these pieces have block value(which scales incredibly) and the set increases the dmg of hammer of the righteous by 5%. Not huge but its nice. The added defense can also be a lifesaver with ardent defender. At 435 defense it heals for about 1k-2k max, and can crit.

Im using the t1 relentless 1h mace. Very good top end dmg, and the shield from anub 10 man(block value ^) 3 pieces of relentless which puts me at about 700 resil. I do sometimes where a little pve gear but with the abundance of wizard cleave its still farely easy to deplete my 33k health pool in 2 gcds. I wear a the 258 ring from beast and the 258 cloak from anub to keep me above the 30% crit mark and keep my str high.

All in all its a pretty fun spec. Like someone said the burst is on a 30 second CD. Usually ill HoJ shield of the righteous, judge, hammer of the righeous, then avenger's shield and back to shield of the righteous + rocket gloves hammer of wrath.

played to 2k in 2s with a bm hunter(stopped once we started 3s), playing 3s with him and a resto druid. Also trying a 5s with me(prot), warrior(arms), warrior(prot), paladin(holy), druid(resto) havent had much time to play any of the teams but the 3s is my points.