10+ Year Old Account

Stormstrike GCD and Haste

Hi guys,

I hope I don't get annoying. There is just a few things to ask since I can find it nowhere, even google doesn't give me cristal clear answers and wowwiki isn't helpful enough.

Each time Heroism (30% Speed) gets used I notice this odd thing with the GCD.
    When I use a shock, the GCD is 30% shortened as it should be, lowered to ~1sec.
    But when I use Stormstrike it's not affected at all, up at 1.5sec as normal.

Now I've read somewhere that the GCD is only lowered by haste if it's a spell. Since SS is a melee ability it would match this theory, but I'm still unsure.

Thanks a lot and sorry for those noobish questions :x

Deleted

Re: Stormstrike GCD and Haste

Yes, Haste only lowers the GCD of spells. No melee abilities.
    There are some exceptions... well, probably not exceptions, but some abilities that are spells while you might think otherwise or the other way around or so... dunno :/

But the point is:
    Haste only lowers the GCD of spells, melee abilities either have their 1.5sec GCD or melees have an ability to lower it(Unholy Presence DKs), or they are made with a lower GCD. (IIRC Rogues have a 1sec GCD)

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks a lot DaDimi.

Why is haste so important for enhancement shamans then? Rawr says that it's the most important stat for me at the moment :0
    Oh, I guess to match up with the flurry nerf?

haste gives more white hits, thats why it is up so high, but dont stack to much though

haste increases our white damage directly, decreases our spell gdc ( lightnings, shocks ) and also it effects ppm´s ( maelstrom ) maelstrom procong faster => more lightning bolts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

Deleted

Interesting I'd never even thought about that, Rawr had SS using hasted GCD, fixed for next version.

10+ Year Old Account

Oh ... I suppose that the value for haste will drop for the next version

Deleted

ES, Flame Shock, Frost Shock, LB, CL are hasted. Bloodlust too i'm guessing.
    SS and LL are NOT hasted.
    Magma and other totems have a 1sec GCD already, I presume this is the cap.

LS, Feral Spirits... do these get a hasted GCD?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by TOMGC
    LS, Feral Spirits... do these get a hasted GCD?
    Yes, they do.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by phai
    Yes, they do.
    Are you sure? EnhSim uses a fixed 1.5sec GCD. Can someone test this in game please and report back.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    Are you sure? EnhSim uses a fixed 1.5sec GCD. Can someone test this in game please and report back.
    Not 100% sure. Better someone tests this ingame, I'm at work at the moment :x

My observations showed SS and LL keeping the 1.5 gcd. Other Shaman spells like shocks, lighting/water shield, lb/cl, heals had a reduced gcd.

Deleted

How does one test if a move gets spell hased GCD? By using a stopclock method? I'd also like to know if SR gets hasted - I imagine it does, but i've got no access to WoW right now to test.

Weapon Enchants, Totemic Recall and Ghost Wolf would be nice to know too... the first one having little practical use however

Deleted

Literally by timing it. Ideally have lots and lots of haste so the difference between a 1.5sec GCD and a hasted GCD is obvious. A script would possibly help eg: you could use GetActionCooldown(slot) where slot is http://www.wowwiki.com/ActionSlot

What we need tested is the GCD of Feral Spirits & Shamanistic Rage. Is it 1.5 sec or is it affected by haste.

Deleted

SR is always 1.5sec GCD, while the Feral Spirits are on a haste-based CD.

---> Haste has no effect on Stormstrike, Lava Lash and Shamanistic Rage, but it DOES lower the GCD of LB, CL, Shields, Shocks, Bloodlust, Ghost Wolf, Weapon Enchants and Heals or other things where it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Omanley
    haste increases our white damage directly, decreases our spell gdc ( lightnings, shocks ) and also it effects ppm´s ( maelstrom ) maelstrom procong faster => more lightning bolts
    Haste affects PPMs? In what way, exactly?

I think he is referring to swinging faster which translates to hitting more often which results in more MSW stacks. This is one of the biggest reasons that haste is valuable for us (not only for white damage).

Quote Originally Posted by Embermoon
    Haste affects PPMs? In what way, exactly?
    Maelstrom seems to calculate your percentage chance to proc based on the base weapon speed to produce a particular # of procs per minute. So a slower weapon has a higher chance of procing per swing but over all the number of procs should be similar for fast and slow weapons because the slower weapons get fewer swings. Since haste decreases the time between swings but does not affect the chance of a proc it produces more procs per minute.

If we were only auto attacking Maelstrom weapon would be weapon speed neutral but when you factor in Stormstrike and Windfury procs a slower weapon with a higher chance to proc per swing results in more MW procs for our extra attacks from stomstrike and windfury which in the end makes it favor slower weapons like pretty much all of our mechanics.

Okay, I've been misunderstanding PPMs, then. I thought PPMs literally meant (this proc will occur X times in one minute).

Back to the drawing board, and rethinking my gemming strategy...