How to: Mage in pvp/bg ?

i have been doing Bgs mostly wsg all day, and honestly isnt mages in particular frost mage insanly OP!? im a retri pala in full furious gear, thou i have tried switched a little out for some pve gear for a more bursty quick dps, but still i and several with me dont stand a chance to a mage, he just playing around with like 4-5 melee classes at the same time, killing us off one by one, without we can get in range and hardly touch him. is there a secret "kill mage tactics" that i failed on completley?

would appreciate any pointers and tips on how to get those awful op classes taste the sweet taste of defeat!

Re: How to: Mage in pvp/bg ?

Yes, mages are OP vs any melee, but its not that hard to beat them. You need to force them to use their CDs before you.

- you frost resist aura, helps a bit (slight reduces his/her dmg).
    - LoS is your best friend, allways go out of his LoS to cast a heal;
    - Save Freedom for Frost nova/stun;
    - Only HoJ after he blinks, so you will force a Ice block or a trinket, or his dead;
    - try to burn his mana shield a bit, before using judgement;
    - if you getting low on mana, judg his copies/pet to get mana and a possible ArtW proc for a quick heal;
    - Use your repetance if he tries to run away or evocate;
    - If he Ice blocks, try to fake a heal, they usualy go out of block to try a spellock.

In a 1vs1 against a mage I beat them arround 2 every 3 duels.

Hope this tips help.

just a clarification on the above. Fros Resist aura does not directly reduce damage, since frost is a binary school of magic you can only fully resist a spell with frost resistance. so you indirectly reduce the damage he does to you but resisting one of his spells from time to time, and HOPEFULLY that spell is one of his snares/CC.

You have to play uber defensively. As Kawasaki said, FrR Aura is clutch. Try not to ever freedom until you get deep frozen. You can always cleanse the slows and frost novas, but if you get caught in a deep freeze with freedom down, lolshattergg. Basically you need to wear down his mana while being conscious of yours. It's an annoying 1v1, no doubt, but possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawasaki.gdm
    Yes, mages are OP vs any melee, but its not that hard to beat them. You need to force them to use their CDs before you.

- you frost resist aura, helps a bit (slight reduces his/her dmg).
    - LoS is your best friend, allways go out of his LoS to cast a heal;
    - Save Freedom for Frost nova/stun;
    - Only HoJ after he blinks, so you will force a Ice block or a trinket, or his dead;
    - try to burn his mana shield a bit, before using judgement;
    - if you getting low on mana, judg his copies/pet to get mana and a possible ArtW proc for a quick heal;
    - Use your repetance if he tries to run away or evocate;
    - If he Ice blocks, try to fake a heal, they usualy go out of block to try a spellock.

In a 1vs1 against a mage I beat them arround 2 every 3 duels.

Hope this tips help.
    Had I gotten here first, I would have said essentially the exact same thing. Many frost mages will actually try to keep max range on you even to the point where they are allowing you to LoS, leave combat, and eat drink. This may not happen often in BG's but it happens all the time in duals. Whenever I pop freedom, the mage will blink and run like a little girl. I'll just duck around a corner and eat/drink. Persistence is how you beat a frost mage.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Deleted

for BG's i have found that if you run away from the mage some of them will actually blink to catch up giving you a great oportunity to stun them to force trinket or ice block and if they don't follow you it gives you an oportunity to mount up and rush in on them while mounted making kiting atleast a little bit harder for htem since they will have to start with nova or blink instead of having lots of time to save them while wearing you down trying to reach them on foot.

thanks for all the info, will try to use frost res aura more to see if there is a big difference.

someone in my guild also told me to just skip all res gear and go full pve gear to just nuke him down asap. . but i have a hard time seeing that would change anything since i barely reach him now , seems to me that would just make me go down even faster? or does he know something i dont?

Go in full PVE gear only if you have a pocket healer, or you will be 2-3 shooted by the mage.