New hunter in town with a boat load of questions

Hello all, first post in this MMo site and its pretty awesome!

I've been playing a BM/MM(dual spec) hunter for about 3 months now, first toon and I have a few questions to ask(maybe they've been answered already)

Is attack power beneficial to a hunter or is it like strength?
    What are "Procs"?
    I
    have no idea what anyone is referring too and when I ask I get alot of people saying I'm a "nub". Guess what? I AM! Thats why I ask these things, either way.

Anyways help would be greatly appreciated

Re: New hunter in town with a boat load of questions

Ya, expect to get many "Ur nub" answers like that, because frankly, most people know the answers to these even in their first week or two of playing the game. Just mouse over your attack power and it will tell you what it does. As for procs however, procs are the name for when a "Chance on hit" or something similar effect activate. Such as BM, when you crit you have a chance of that cobra strikes talent to activate, when it activated that means it "Procced".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

that answers the proc thing, thank you for that.

Like I said, if I figured these out I wouldnt be asking, I seen AP and I've also seen rangedAP so I'm not sure if AP will benefit the hunter similar to that of strength.

Ok let me start by saying that AP that is shown on gear will increase for RangedAP and also your MeleeAP unless stated otherwise. For Example "Increases Attack Power by 32" this will increase both your RangedAP and MeleeAP by the same amount.

As for the idea about strength, you don't want any of this as a hunter because it will only increase your MeleeAP which is unneeded by a hunter, unless you were just going to run around and do white damage with your melee weapon all day. The primary stat for the hunter class would be agility, so if you swap the idea of strength with agility you will be on the right track.

Hey yall, I am also new to this forum...and now to Wow as of this morning (just upgraded to full version from 10 day trial). I figured I would just add this here instead of starting a new thread since it is the same basic topic.

My major problem is the amount of info out there. Everyone seems to have a different opinion and I have no idea if they are just blowing hot air or actually knowledgeable people. Having said that, I registered here because people seemed to be discussing more and flaming less.

I tend to gravitate towards pvp, though I am hoping that I dont suck at pve so I can get decent items. People seem to say that orcs are the way to go, but those posts I have found were from 2008...and the most impressive youtube videos I found about hunters were trolls. I'm not asking to relive the same convo for the millionth time, all I'm asking is if it really makes that big of a difference. (In the pvp games I used to play, small advantages meant everything--is that not the case here?) I dont care if I look the coolest, I just want to start a character I can love playing all the way to 80 and beyond. None of the other classes really interest me all that much, so I want to do this one right. Am I overthinking all of this? I just dont want to get to level 70 and realize I could have done something better.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

There are 2 major PvE/PvP information sites:
    1) PvE: ElitistJerks (a theorycrafting forum which contains almost every single PvE/DPS aspect of the game ordered by class)
    2) PvP: ArenaJunkies (a community about the PvP/Arena aspect of the game, macros, tips, forum...)

Have fun!

Thank you! Just what Ive been looking for! ...more researching :-X ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Relim
    Hey yall, I am also new to this forum...and now to Wow as of this morning (just upgraded to full version from 10 day trial). I figured I would just add this here instead of starting a new thread since it is the same basic topic.

My major problem is the amount of info out there. Everyone seems to have a different opinion and I have no idea if they are just blowing hot air or actually knowledgeable people. Having said that, I registered here because people seemed to be discussing more and flaming less.

I tend to gravitate towards pvp, though I am hoping that I dont suck at pve so I can get decent items. People seem to say that orcs are the way to go, but those posts I have found were from 2008...and the most impressive youtube videos I found about hunters were trolls. I'm not asking to relive the same convo for the millionth time, all I'm asking is if it really makes that big of a difference. (In the pvp games I used to play, small advantages meant everything--is that not the case here?) I dont care if I look the coolest, I just want to start a character I can love playing all the way to 80 and beyond. None of the other classes really interest me all that much, so I want to do this one right. Am I overthinking all of this? I just dont want to get to level 70 and realize I could have done something better.

You're really over thinking this. ;D Calm down, nothing is forever besides your reputation. Just start leveling, ask wowwiki.com and browse around there if you ever need help, I find it a great source. Once you get to 80, then you should start worring about what's the best possible dps/pvp setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    "Imba"
    I literally want to Kitten Filled Hugs people in face and smack a Soft Swan-dive Pillow up their little bottoms when they use that word. It sounds just rather weird.

Fixed that for you. Please refrain from going a bit "too far" with your language.
    I love mods

Quote Originally Posted by Relim

Actually my friend, you kind of have to choose between PvP or PvE. So if you are going to be mainly a PvP guy you'll get good armor for PvP by doing PvP. If you want to PvE you will HAVE to get PvE armor. PvE armor is of no use in PvP because it doesn't reduce the damage players do to you. You will be destroyed in 2 hits every fight. I would know. XD

And if you don't like any classes....your screwed. You should probably find one you like fast. I chose a mage because I've always loved using magic users in video games. And when I made my alt which is a shaman, I specced her to do Melee damage. But then I realized melee just isn't my style. (And it annoys healers. XD) So I switched my shaman to a casting spec. My favorite classes are pretty must any that hang back, mage being my top fav. So do some experimenting and find your favorite one. Start with a question like... "Do I like dealing damage?" or "Do I enjoy protecting the group as a tank?" or "Do I enjoy healing the group?" Then chose a class that fits one of those roles.

And who knows...maybe your favorite will be Death Knights which you'll unlock at level 55. I find them hilariously fun with their Death Grip attack... lol (Drags enemies towards you even if they are fleeing and even players too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby
    And if you don't like any classes....your screwed. You should probably find one you like fast.
    Well so far no class has interested me like the hunter class...are you saying that it is not viable for pvp at high levels?

Hunter is not a great PvP class for the 2 v 2, 3 v 3 arena PvP. In bigger group battlegrounds, as good as any other damage dealing class.

Hunter is a very fun class to learn wow on, easy to level, and quite viable for end game PvE.

Racial ability differences are small; more important is whether to play Horde or Alliance. If you want to play Horde, Orc's best race for hunters (but by VERY small margins) over other races. If Alliance, Dwarves have a nice racial regarding guns, but there is no reason to choose a race purely for a tiny advantage.

I play a dranei hunter and like the 1% hit - helpful to me in end game PvE.

Good luck to you...this game is addictive