Enhancement- now that the patch is out

So, I have done a couple heroics and some test dummy practices. I'm just not convinced on using Fire Nova in my rotation on single targets. on multi target boss fights, of course I'll throw it in... When I can.

Granted I have not changed my spec or got the glyph, but its mana heavy and does not seem like a huge dps gain, and not worth it to change my spec or glyph for it. Although I would like to hear from someone who has changed their spec or used the glyph to see if it has increased their dps at all.

As an AOE on trash... I LOVE it.

please post your thoughts

Re: Enhancement- now that the patch is out

Talented 6 sec CD 5k+ Crit ... way more damage than Lava Lash with 258 weapons
    It is jsut a nuisance in heroics, or fights where you need to move a lot. Then it is a REALLY annoying mechanic.

Myrddin,Stormforged, EU-Ravencrest
    Website: mmo-game.eu,YouTube: myrddinde, Twitter: @MyrddinDE

Dranei and Taurens have tails... we ought to be able to install tiny wheels at the bottom of the totems, then drag a totem with the tail thus creating moving totems!

Anyways, I can't wait to get on and try that out in an instance, should give a nice boost to ELE aoe damage!

I think getting the glyph for fire elemental would be better instead of the fire nova glyph but yeah this spell is amazing on aoe gonna help alot once i get to raiding again

Quote Originally Posted by Adrimean
    So, I have done a couple heroics and some test dummy practices. I'm just not convinced on using Fire Nova in my rotation on single targets. on multi target boss fights, of course I'll throw it in... When I can.

Granted I have not changed my spec or got the glyph, but its mana heavy and does not seem like a huge dps gain, and not worth it to change my spec or glyph for it. Although I would like to hear from someone who has changed their spec or used the glyph to see if it has increased their dps at all.

As an AOE on trash... I LOVE it.

please post your thoughts
    As far as I have seen in my experiences within dungeons so far, treat Fire Nova as you would Chain lightning. If there are multiple mobs, great- bust the crap out of it. If not, it costs you 1k mana to do ~2k damage where an Earth Shock does the same amount and costs ~200 mana.

However, I have used FN on a single target if ALL my other CDs are up and I'm waiting just swinging white hits. If you can spare the mana, the damage from this would be considered "bonus" to swinging instead of just sitting there hacking away.

Personally, I talented for it because it is a useful skill IMO. I didn't glyph it because it's already difficult enough to fit it into our priority list at 6 seconds. Making it 3 seconds would make it impossible to utilize while managing shocks/SS/MW etc as well

in heroics, most mobs die way to fast. you also likely end up without replenishment and other helpful effects when it comes to mana efficiency.

you´ll be running from mob group to mob group, dropping your costly magma-totem and using your just as costly fire nova totem together with your costly chain lightning.

and the mobs will be dieing to fast for you to be able to regenerate mana through shamanistic rage.

raid yay heroics nay, i´d say ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

Well, I have a pretty weird spec and I have yet to run into mana issues. Even in heroics it works out nice ... /startattack and earth shock while running to the mobs ... drop totems ... Fire Nova ... Stormstrike ... Lava Lash ... Shock ... Nova ... next grp ...

I am specced into Elemental Focus which comes in really nice with the high cost mana spells. It is not really needed fo raids, but to keep our utility its pretty nice.

Myrddin,Stormforged, EU-Ravencrest
    Website: mmo-game.eu,YouTube: myrddinde, Twitter: @MyrddinDE

Even on single targets, Fire Nova gets some use. What else would I do on those free GCDs when magma has plenty of time left and I have lots of charges on LS remaining?

I don't think it's worth talenting/glyphing for as Enhancement except on a per-boss basis (I can imagine it being amazing on add-heavy bosses)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...trellen/simple (Enhancement PvE)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...l/alamo/simple (Boomkin/Guardian, PvE)

No, I'm not the real Alamo, just a guy who liked his work.

i have specced it ( not glyphed ) and even in hero´s no problem´s with mana up till now ( but i ate many strudels ^^ )

as myrddinde said it´s pretty much highest priority right after putting down totems(magma) as long as it´s 2 or more mobs. dont worry to much about mana, shamanistic rage saves the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

10+ Year Old Account

DPS went up for about 700
    I absolutely LOVE the Fire Nova!

Quote Originally Posted by phai
    I absolutely LOVE the Fire Nova!
    I agree, people must be lagging really bad or something if they cant even fit this into their single target rotation. To me it just seems like extra dmg.

Btw Like the sig, qti pi derfs FTW!!

Deleted

After mush testing and simulating yesterday i personally concluded that this is situationally useful only. If it's a tank in one place boss it may be useful when absolutely everything else is on CD. If it's a boss fight where the tank is continuously moving the boss it's useless. It's highly useful on trash, but do you all honestly rate your DPS on trash? Melee = single target DPS, AoE classes are there to burn down trash quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmz390
    Melee = single target DPS, AoE classes are there to burn down trash quickly.
    Tell that to the rogues, DKs, and warriors which do quite well on trash. This is an issue of we should be ABLE to be competitive across the boards whether we choose to use the tools or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmz390
    After mush testing and simulating yesterday i personally concluded that this is situationally useful only. If it's a tank in one place boss it may be useful when absolutely everything else is on CD. If it's a boss fight where the tank is continuously moving the boss it's useless. It's highly useful on trash, but do you all honestly rate your DPS on trash? Melee = single target DPS, AoE classes are there to burn down trash quickly.
    Yes, but enhancement has suffered without any real AoE for a while now and we've been asking for some. While FN isn't the end all to our issues with AoE heavy trash fights, it certainly helps. And as someone said earlier, it's extra damage when you have a free GCD or are just auto-attacking your face off. I personally love it on trash (I rolled shaman after raiding on a mage for 2 years...I missed my AoE I will admit) and it feels nice to break 6k and stay there (I never said I was super geared).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    He was all like "DEATH STRIKE!" and then he was all like "RUNE TAP!" and then Sarth was like "Skillz, bro." and died.
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamut5
    Jolly good thread folks. Too bad that it was locked.
    See what I did there?

10+ Year Old Account

Tryed it out last night. Not specced for at and not got it glyphed. I used it on both single target and aoe and both we're an increase to my dps. I personaly wouldn't spec for it but i won't avoid using it either, i just used it when everything else is on CD.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Barawr
    Tell that to the rogues, DKs, and warriors which do quite well on trash. This is an issue of we should be ABLE to be competitive across the boards whether we choose to use the tools or not.
    Yeh i agree that they do well trash. But most of the time in equal gear i tend to out-DPS all those classes on the boss. It's obviously a personal thing to each player but i couldn't care less about losing out on top DPS spot on trash. It's the boss that counts.

And with the 'it's the boss that counts' mantra in mind i don't see any value in reducing my single target DPS for extra AoE damage just so my OVERALL raid DPS (gained on trash) is a little higher at the end of the night.

True, you should not be reducing your boss dps by using this talent. If anything it should IMPROVE your dps even more on single target if you are good with the priority.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Barawr
    True, you should not be reducing your boss dps by using this talent. If anything it should IMPROVE your dps even more on single target if you are good with the priority.
    If it's a tank in one spot boss.

as far as people not wanting to use this on a moving boss, why not? if you are doing it right then you are dropping magma as the boss moves anyways. i never have trouble keeping the totem in range.

its towards the bottom of the priority list, but it does really nicely fill things out so i have no more down time, and my dps has gone up significantly since the patch.

its free damage, i can see no situation where it would lower you're dps on single targets so long as you keep it on a low priority. it takes some getting used to, sure. but its worth it. don't look a gift 5k crit in the mouth!

I personally redrop magma as well unless the boss is literally running around the whole time (doesn't usually happen). Not sure how there wouldn't be many boss scenarios where this is frequently used for a boost.