Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

ICC, first 4 dead, Affliction is just peachy

If you are just reading this thread now, please do not post. Trying to let this thread die due to the recent Corruption change/bug. If you have something to say, start a new post or post in a different one.

R.I.P. YARG

Re: ICC, first 4 dead, Affliction is just peachy

we just finished deathwhisper. I was aff for it and was on the boss pretty exclusively p1 and I managed to die... twice and was at 6k and our demo lock was 6.1k. Skada purged the marrowgar stuff but I was demo for that and around 6.5k and the other lock was aff on that fight and around 6k. I abused shard of the crystal heart, PI and potion of speed before the pull on deathwhisper for hax corruption.

Both times we were both in the top 5 dps... but our mages tend to underperform on any given fight and none of our hunters were online. Rogues did very well on both fights.

doing gunship now as aff.

edit: done with gunship and holy shit is seed pro

Not a lock buuuuut, isn't deathwhisper an add fight and so wouldn't Affl benefit more from that over Dest and Demo? And for Marrowgar any time spent moving is a bigger loss for Demo and Dest while Affl's dots are still ticking away. Just saying, feel free to ignore the deathtard :< I just want it to be EU realm time :<

Too many bugs to test aff in a raid tonight, but I did manage to see on a dummy that my dps went up about 25-30% from yesterday on the dummies. obviously the exact dps is misleading on a dummy, but the percentage seems encouraging.
    Now, if blizz would kindly allow me to actually get through a loading screen...

Just curious, are you guys exploiting the corruption bug when you raided as affliction or not? Since reportedly, using this bug or not makes a huge difference in DPS.

What bug?

You can top off every haste procs/sp u have and the corruption will get that stat even if you refresh its duration via haunt etc. Which means that if you procced Black magic, trinket proc, eradication, etc., your corruption will forever base its duration and damage to when you applied it with those buffs.

Apparently, warlocks can weapon swap between Black Magic enchant weapon and Mighty SP enchant weapon. Apply corruption with the former weapon, have BM proc, then swap ur Mighty SP one and refresh your corr, and it will always get the haste from when you applied it with BM proc.

Think I'll stick with Destro/Affli dual spec.
    Keeping Destro as main, since I totally hate affli..

Does anyone mind linking their spec? I suck at speccing, so if anyone mind telling what to spec it'll be lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree
    You can top off every haste procs/sp u have and the corruption will get that stat even if you refresh its duration via haunt etc. Which means that if you procced Black magic, trinket proc, eradication, etc., your corruption will forever base its duration and damage to when you applied it with those buffs.
    Doubt that it is true. Corruption refreshed by Haunt will be calculated with your current spellpower/haste and overwrite former stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicek
    Doubt that it is true. Corruption refreshed by Haunt will be calculated with your current spellpower/haste and overwrite former stats.
    No, it wont.

Source.

on refresh, it will pick up the current spellpower but NOT haste. haste is kept from the point when you first applied corruption. pretty nice

Quote Originally Posted by Wicek
    thats why is is called a bug -.-

erm... wtf are you talking about? When you refresh your corruption with Haunt it will be just the same as it was, since you don't recast it. So if you had a SP trinket proc when you casted corruption and then you refreshed it, corruption will still use as much spell power as you had when you casted it (while under the effects of the trinket).

I hope that made sense

10+ Year Old Account

That sounds great!

One question tough, wasn't there supposed to be a new glyph, which makes corr scale with haste? I can't find it anywhere.
    Forget everything you know about everything.

Glyph of Quick Decay
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50077
    A wise man once said. Argueing on the Internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still a retard.

Quote Originally Posted by str4jo
    erm... wtf are you talking about? When you refresh your corruption with Haunt it will be just the same as it was, since you don't recast it. So if you had a SP trinket proc when you casted corruption and then you refreshed it, corruption will still use as much spell power as you had when you casted it (while under the effects of the trinket).

I hope that made sense
    Makes no sense, since haunt has ALWAYS refreshed Corruption with your current spellpower.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    For example, Lady Deathwhisper - Affliction 5700 dps, Demonology 5700 dps, Destro 5500 dps.

Two tries, so we don't know the fight 100% yet to maximize dps, but still things are looking excellent.
    Just curious, did you switch targets, aoe or on boss the whole time?

15+ Year Old Account

Being solely on the lady first try I pulled 6.3 as affliction.
    Next round on adds i was down to 5.7 but still a bit better than I thought it'd be.
    As far as dps I was pretty much above everyone else by a decent margin.
    I think some people still didn't fully understand what they had to do though lol.

15+ Year Old Account

1) We were learning the fights and didn't have time to "exploit the bug", especially since we basically one shot each boss. Trash took longer. Also, until a blue says otherwise, it's not an exploit. They went ahead and announced it to the world as something they can't fix (for shadow priests, but applies to locks too). Therefore, its a known problem that they themselves advertised and did nothing to stop. I expect a 3.3.2 patch soon (January) when it starts getting out of hand, but considering the numbers I agree with GC - silence means "its not a big enough issue to deal with right now, but we'll get to it". When people are in ICC Heroic gear? Then there will be a problem.

I did the math - I expect an average dps increase of 700 (putting us in line with other pures on single target fights) with a maximum dps increase of 1500, in TOGC25 level gear.
    700 = As much haste as possible (Power Infusion, Eradication, Trinket, Totem, Gear) without Bloodlust/Heroism
    1500 = With Bloodlust/Heroism. Haste effects multiply.

2) I tested on a dummy and got 4800 dps in mostly 245 gear, as Affliction. Demo was at 4500 (but scales better due to pet double dipping buffs, so it evens out in the end). Destro was also at 4500, but scales the poorest so should come out in last place for our three main specs.

3) Deathwhisper - most of the casters were exclusively on the boss the whole time, but we did have times where we all switched off to help with adds. I would say on the boss 80% of the time for P1, with running out of DnD and helping adds the other 20%. Watch for Curse of Topor and don't cast Haunt with it on you - it turns the cooldown into 21 seconds, which is bad mmkay.

BUT BUT BUT: If you're counter to this is "bah, affliction does well on those fights" isn't that what you were bitching about two weeks ago? "Affliction won't be viable in ICC because its all going to be gimmicks."

Well thats the point of this post - the first 4 fights are not gimmicks for casters and Affliction Warlocks do quite well. In fact, once people work out the strategies for these bosses, I would say Deathwhisper is the new caster benchmark and Saurfang is the new melee benchmark.

4) Other bosses:
    Marrowgar - Just point a shadow bolt at the spikes. Tank n spank, but watch out for post-whirlwind threat drop!
    Gunship - FUN! Don't even bother with haunt, except on the Battlemage. Corruption/UA/Elements on everything, Shadow Bolt for the buff.
    Saurfang - You're basically considered melee on this fight - keep your dot's on the boss but fire off shadow bolts onto the spawns. They will die too fast to warrant dots in a proper group.

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account

Also, this is the last time I describe the bug.

Glyph of Quick Decay + Haunt = Corruption is refreshed to 18 second duration, or as close to without clipping your dots. There's fancy math here but that's not the point.

Haunt does NOT refresh Corruption's Crit or Haste values - only the initial cast sets these. This is a bug and can be exploited, but the dps gain with exploiting is not as substantial as it was for Shadow Priests with SW:P. You will be able to get 700-1500 dps in 258 lvl gear, depending on how much Haste you can stack when you cast it.

700 dps = 20% Haste from Gear + 500 Haste Trinket + Power Infusion + Eradication + Totem
    (Cast corruption, wait for Eradication, Recast it with buffs and trinkets)

1500 dps = All of the above + Bloodlust.

Both numbers come from 258 lvl gear and a 5 minute fight where you maintain a bugged Corruption the entire time.

GC has said, by not saying anything at all, that this is an acceptable bug and will be fixed when they can get to it. The numbers will not blossom to the point of excess until we start getting Heroic gear, and many fights do not support this mechanic.

R.I.P. YARG