Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Did they make mobs smarter?

I ask this because I am noticing since the patch that mobs tend to want to get behind me as a tank way too often, almost to the point where I have to move around the whole fight to be in front.

Anyone else seen this happen? I would say it was just me, but I asked another tank in my guild, and he said he is noticing the same thing.

/popcorn enthusiast!

Re: Did they make mobs smarter?

I don't know about you, but this his always been a problem for me.

Lag.

Yeah, been noticing this for a while now. Seems to me to be a hitbox problem, just get your back to a wall and you'll be fine.

I've only been tanking the new instances and I've noticed the same thing.
    Healers never complained about me taking too much dmg so I guess it's not a big deal.
    Saving for Cata.

I was noticing this today as well, though I'm only tanking on a lowbie alt (50s, so old world). It's really quite annoying, because I don't think melee DPSers always understand that we're trying the best we can to not move everything, but.. Has to be in front.

Is it happening at higher levels, too? I was hoping it was just old world...

10+ Year Old Account

We actualy whiped because of this a few times on the spawn-fight in the last new 5-man wing

Out druid tank ( a realy good geared and experienced tank ) died 2-3 times not knowing what happend to him.. untill we realized that all the mobs were cirkeling around him

I hope it´s intended, because we had to use my frost traps, zap and so on to get a better controll of the fight...
    maby they have brought CC back wooo !

As a tank to be honest I've noticed this problem, which I've always hated, getting worse and worse over the past few patches. Haven't tanked anything brand new yet, but regular mobs and old world mobs (ZG, Seth Halls for mounts) were being huge pains today, moreso than even before. I've always hated this issue, and it probably pisses my melee off even more than me lol.

Good to know this seems to be getting worse and worse for everyone, not just me going crazy.

I noticed that too, eespecially in the new ICC dungeons yesterday. I hope it's a kind of bug and gets fixed soon. I don't have a problem with smart mobs, but that was really annoying, I sometimes had to move for the entire fight, even on some bosses, just to be able to hit them. When tanking the big trashgroups in the Halls of Reflection, there were always at least 2 mobs behind me, making it impossible to mitigate all damage properly.
    /thread

This was supposedly changed a while back. They tried to make them intelligently spread out in an arch in front of you, so that you didn't have a stack of mobs in one indistinguishable pile directly in your face. The unintended result is that they love to pop around behind you back constantly.

15+ Year Old Account

Hi.
    This was quite noticeable while running the new 5 mans yesterday, to my shaman friends great annoyance. I guess warriors have an advantage having
    shockwave, but when handling a new mob with SW on cd, it'd flop around trying to walk through me. Now I'm guessing that instance load was quite
    high yesterday, and we did experience lag, I'm finding it hard to believe blizzard make mobs that are actually designed to constantly try to walk through
    you. Regardless of the cause, it's annoying as hell at times, and yes, it does lead to lost dps and a lot of damage taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesneed View Post
    The Ashpole?

This is a known bug atm.
    look in the official WoW-Forums they're all complaining about this.

It's rly annoying + I was kicked yesterday from a random hc group bcs I "was unable to tank".

Quote Originally Posted by Kaustos
    This was supposedly changed a while back. They tried to make them intelligently spread out in an arch in front of you, so that you didn't have a stack of mobs in one indistinguishable pile directly in your face. The unintended result is that they love to pop around behind you back constantly.
    No. This started happening Tuesday soon as patch hit. I tank a lot, and it's rather annoying that mobs are hard to face away from rest of party now. Can expect a lot of raid wipes to come till this is fixed. Any boss that has to be faced away that use to be easy can now easily wipe a raid. The melee on the first boss in ICC will have to be extra careful of the cleave which hits for 30k on 1 tank, and 15k each if 2 tanks.. obviously that would 1 shot a dps or caster.

This has been an issue for as long as I can remember, nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Happens more or less on different mobs. One great example is the adds leading to onyxia, even if i stand inside them and just nudge one itiny bit to turn them
    they run behind you. You just cant position them correctly without cleaving someone,

Very annoying. Its not smartness, it suckx.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

In the last new ICC 5 man, you can tank the adds in one of the side alcoves where the bosses are. The bosses won't aggro until either the 5th or 10th wave is complete as normal.

Doing this means you can use the pillars and whatnot in the alcoves as LoS pillars to pull all the mobs in. It works best if you tank is tucked in too at the start of each pull to ensure they all get in range. Once they are in the alcove, just put your butt to a different wall as a tank. Have you healer and all your DPS tucked into one side, and melee can follow the tank out once they move.

Problem adverted.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaustos
    That's the problem - really nasty thing if you're trying to tank lots of mobs, because at a certain number of mobs they will start to backstab you :/

And it seems, that hitboxes of the mobs in ICC are horribly screwed up - even the Big Badass skeletons near the entrance are so small, that I had to stand inside of them to keep them in place.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    That's the problem - really nasty thing if you're trying to tank lots of mobs, because at a certain number of mobs they will start to backstab you :/

And it seems, that hitboxes of the mobs in ICC are horribly screwed up - even the Big Badass skeletons near the entrance are so small, that I had to stand inside of them to keep them in place.
    I don't tank very often but I certainly noticed this when tanking ICC 10 on Tuesday starting with those skeletons you speak of. I only put together a tanking set to sub out one of our alt's tanks to get someone elses main into the mix so I don't have much experience and I never noticed this in the few places I've tanked prior to ICC. I started thinking, am I just a super baddie or are 90% of the mobs in here shadowstepping me. I was having the worst time on the gunship fight when mobs came through the portal. They would run through consecration to the edge, then come back towards me and go behind me. I would constantly inch backwards and they would still stay behind me or if they ever did make it in front they would jump back behind me. Hopefully this gets fixed because as a noobie to tanking, it's quite a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by maxvdakker
    you just became dumber. it's easy to do it the right way.

you fail
    And you are a retard, pop your pill.

@OP: I agree, my bear tank has to walk backward a lot lately. Its annoying.
    If there is a will there is a way...