nevermelting boom crystal

Is it better to macro the trinket to Wrath or Starfire for proccing eclipse more reliably? Or is it better during an eclipse?

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50259

Deleted

Re: nevermelting boom crystal

I use it at the start with wrath to proc lunar quicker or after an LE if I have not gone straight into SE

Deleted

I would probably just tie it to wrath, to have it pop during solar eclipse. Its not worth much during lunar eclipse (not that its that great during solar anyways :P)

It's worse than Sundial according to EJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Feior @ EJ
    Sundial of the Exiled ~= 84 crit + 106 SP

Nevermelting Ice Crystal ~= 25.2 crit + 111 SP

Deleted

huh really ? Any chance you'd give actual stat weights on that plx (I'd do it myself but remember I'm very lazy) Also that quote you made is a lil iffy cause the 111SP from the Ice Crystal is constant whereas sundial is a proc ??? , just wanna see how the numbers match up Got outrolled on the maurdins spyglass by a crap ele shaman , I cried a lil inside last night >

Quote Originally Posted by Poldara
    huh really ? Any chance you'd give actual stat weights on that plx (I'd do it myself but remember I'm very lazy) Also that quote you made is a lil iffy cause the 111SP from the Ice Crystal is constant whereas sundial is a proc ??? , just wanna see how the numbers match up Got outrolled on the maurdins spyglass by a crap ele shaman , I cried a lil inside last night >
    Well the quote above works out the average (gain / uptime) for the proc & use effect for the trinkets in question, which is where the 106sp and 25.2 crit rating come from.

(the sundial proc is very predictable (as with most procs) with a 45sec ICD and high proc chance - it's easy to calculate a rough uptime)

Assuming it's accurate - it doesn't take a genius to work out that 5 spell power is not enough to beat almost 60 crit rating!

Or use it *with* sundial, seeing as I have no other choices =P

Sundial has 10% proc chance according to wowhead... how is that 'high'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyren
    Sundial has 10% proc chance according to wowhead... how is that 'high'.
    Not so much high, but predictable.

Again, borrowing EJ's hard work:

Chance of [Sundial of the Exiled] proc = 10% with 45 seconds of IC

(chance to not proc)^(x spell casts) = chance to not proc after x spell casts

(1-0.1)^x = 0.5
    x = log0.5 / log0.90 ~= 6.5 spell casts on average to have a 50% chance to not proc
    (i.e., after 6.5 spell casts, you're expected to have had a 50% chance to proc the trinket - so average proc is after 6.5 spells)

supposing you have an average of 1.1 second casting on wrath, 2.2 second casting on starfire, and 50/50 for cast time on both spells, then (1.1+2.2)/2 = 1.65 average cast time.

6.5*1.65 ~= 10.7 seconds average time to proc after IC -> expect to proc it every 55.7 seconds

proc lasts for 10 seconds, so we're expecting about (590)*(10/55.7) or average of 106 SP

Deleted

I posted this in another thread, but i suppose its relevant here aswell, because.. well.. same topic. This is my amateaurish math, which even makes assumptions to benefit the trinket :P

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    EJ haven't looked much into it, but initial reports rank the trinket quite low. I see the value if you use it during solar eclipse, but i must remain sceptical until someone smarter than me does the calculations. 920 crit rating is nice, but with a 3 minute cooldown, you can use it for one solar eclipse and then to help proc lunar.

So if we treat this as a 20 sec duration 920 crit rating buff (constant, without diminishing), on a three minute duration it would even out to 102,2222.. crit rating. However, since it diminishes, it will lose its value, so the actual, average crit rating gained over three minutes would probably be just half of that, or at least in the 50-80 crit rating area. This puts it well below Eye of the Brood Mother (constant 87 crit rating no matter duration, benefits lunar and moonfire aswell and has 14 SP more).

If the actual gain is - say - 80, then its a nice alternative to EotBM, but its probably a lot lower.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lyren
    Is it better to macro the trinket to Wrath or Starfire for proccing eclipse more reliably? Or is it better during an eclipse?

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50259
    The only thing the trinket is good for is raising your gearscore. EotBM will probably be a much better bet.

But if I had to use it, I'd proc it right after gaining Solar Eclipse.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Deleted

Well yeah, it sucks in comparason to other trinkets, but it is a viable choice if you only have sundial and then some crappy blue stuff :P