What's cheaper to powerlevel?

Hey guys, I was wondering what is cheaper in levelling from 0 to ~400 - enchanting or jewelcrafting? Enchanting mats will get cheaper now due to group DE tool I guess. And it's useful when you can DE old gear and sell shards.

So which one shall I choose?

Re: What's cheaper to powerlevel?

Jewelcrafting, plus its more versatile. Enchanting (at least before) was the most expensive prof to level.

Most of the cost of either is in the late vanilla levels, so the new DE option is unlikely to change it much. The price difference isn't terribly great on my realm.

Most classes get more from JC than from chanting, so unless you're one of the few that doesn't go JC. On the other hand if thorium & mithril are expensive on your realm and you don't have a miner, then chanting will be easier to level since you can just solo grind instances for greens and do lowbie quests.

Deleted

Enchanting is cheaper, but levelling will take longer, as you pretty much need other people's gear to gain higher skillpoints. Well, you could enchant your own gear over and over again, but that's both a waste of good mats and money. Jewelcrafting is far more expensive, although it pays off more than enchanting in the long run.

Also, I honestly don't expect the enchanting mats to become much cheaper on my realm. After the last change to enchanting (lots of formula's with reduced materials) the price even went up for some non-logical reason :)

Quote Originally Posted by Somnio
    Enchanting is cheaper, but levelling will take longer, as you pretty much need other people's gear to gain higher skillpoints. Well, you could enchant your own gear over and over again, but that's both a waste of good mats and money.
    this isnt true, since inscription, you can enchant to vellums and sell them on AH at your own convenience. i have never understood ppl giving away free enchants with their own mats, and even less since the vellums are out. if you have a class that solo grind instances, like a pally or mage, i'd say enchanting will be good. or you could farm up all the mats to lvl JC to max, drop mining and pick up JC and enchanting.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Blindcow
    this isnt true, since inscription, you can enchant to vellums and sell them on AH at your own convenience. i have never understood ppl giving away free enchants with their own mats, and even less since the vellums are out. if you have a class that solo grind instances, like a pally or mage, i'd say enchanting will be good. or you could farm up all the mats to lvl JC to max, drop mining and pick up JC and enchanting.
    Ofcourse, that is true as long as you either have generous friends, or an inscriber yourself. With just one profession to pick and no support from a second primairy profession, I would definately go for Jewelcrafting.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Greatd
    Jewelcrafting, plus its more versatile. Enchanting (at least before) was the most expensive prof to level.
    Engineering is currently the most expensive to powerlevel- going from 0 to 450 (including Jeeves) I spent well over 4k gold.

You overpaid my friend. Obviously this is dependant on your server and the economy at the time though. Just google xxxx guide - click the first link, and a decent guide with what you need to level to max as cheap and quick as possible is there, there are some exceptions, but it's pretty straight forward.

For me, JC took 3k to powerlevel (as in, 1 day, so I didn't have time to wait around on good deals for a particular mat), Engineering cost about the same, but it was over about two weeks as I started while leveling, where prices may have varied.

Like I said though, totally dependent on the economy of your realm, and how many farmers are on it. I just did inscription 1-430 over 2 days for about 2k. It's funny when people try to sell older herbs for more than Northrend herbs, when Jessica in Dal sells any ink for 1x of the sea. Maybe they're higher for the people trying to powerlevel Alchemy, but who does that anyways?

JC is more expensive 1-350, than enchanting is more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster
    JC is more expensive 1-350, than enchanting is more expensive
    Very true, I've leveled every profession to 450 and enchanting was without a doubt the most expensive if you are going to level it quickly from the AH.

If you take your time with it, do quest rewards and DE for mats and such I'm sure it'll be cheaper then JC though.

I'd vote enchanting would be the best. As in the less cost of the two. It's been a while since I've done a prof though.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Greatd
    Jewelcrafting cheap???? Malachite evens goes for an arm and a leg on my server lol

Stood in the Fire skidmarksteve's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

JC is more expensive at lower levels, enchanting becomes very expensive to power level at higher levels.

10+ Year Old Account

Why does everyone seem to think enchanting mats will be cheaper, its roughly the same amount of mats coming in, just from more sources. Haven't noticed a change in mats on my server yet.

And as stated before, the real expensive part of either is gonna be late vanilla mats. Buying high vanilla greens is gonna be cheaper than buying high end vanilla gems AND stacks of thorium to prospect.
    Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

enchanting isnt bad at first, then you hit late Vanilla and BC, and it gets expensive (on my server at least), but once you get into WotLK recipes, its fast again with lots and lots of dust
    After earning enough Combo Points, the Rogue's next finisher will include fries and a drink.