Thread: AoE Tanking

10+ Year Old Account

AoE Tanking

Heya, I'm a keen warrior tank, I do pretty well on tanking bosses but you could say I sort of suck on AoE tanking. So what would be a good rotation and please list the abilities from low to high threat, it would help me understand my class alot.

(Because I really suck at Halls of Reflection and don't want to be a crap tank XD)

Re: AoE Tanking

Shockwave, thunderclap, cleave.

No tanks really have an easy time tanking that, it's just practice.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    Shockwave, thunderclap, cleave.

No tanks really have an easy time tanking that, it's just practice.
    In addition to those, Heroic Throw, keep Vigilance on someone who seems to get hit at times. Intercept, Charge and Intervene are also helpful. Use what you have, and remember that the it isn't the end of the world if a ghoul or two runs loose.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

keep shockwave and thunderclap on cooldown, cleave on every hit, tab around and shield slam / revenge / devastate if your aoe moves are on CD. demo shout barely causes threat so dont bother using that unless ofc you need to take less damage. it takes alot of practice to use the right ability at the right time.
    for a vigilance target, i usually take a warrior so they can bladestorm if they want, a retlol or a DK, and after that a AoE class. you can outthreat aoe classes most of the time, but a melee class usually picks a target and does moves on him, so its best to vig on them.
    have your taunt properly bound so whenever you see a 'changed target' pop up above a mob u can instantly taunt. if taunt is cooldowned u can also charge or intercept him but this is usually alot more risky.
    its mainly a matter of reflexes and practice.

just like the other said; thunderclap / shockwave / cleave + tabbing around using abilities hs / revenge / devast shield slam

what i like to use aswell is shield block. it does give a bit extra threat by the dmg done of ur critical blocks =)

Use thunderclap to position, shockwave when you can get them all/most and then spam cleave and use devestate on CD; also Tab targets and use devestate, revenge, shield slam.

Or roll a druid and just spam swipe.

Get your DPS to stop being facerolling bastards and do some CC.

Works a god damn treat. the melee are easy to pickup, so get a paladin to repentance a mage/hunter, a priest to shackle something, etc.

Makes the whole thing alot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner563
    Get your DPS to stop being facerolling bastards and do some CC.

Works a god damn treat. the melee are easy to pickup, so get a paladin to repentance a mage/hunter, a priest to shackle something, etc.

Makes the whole thing alot easier.
    what lol?

you posted in the right thread buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by Weena2
    what lol?

you posted in the right thread buddy?
    indeed i did, mostly at the "(Because I really suck at Halls of Reflection and don't want to be a crap tank XD)"

It's rather aggrivating to pick everything up, and a little CC goes a long way.

For HoR, have your raid hide in one of the alcoves in one of the edges of the room (when I did it on the PTR, most groups chose the alcove that's on the left from frostmourne). Some players might run around to avoid aoes, but it's important that you and your healer are on the same side, especially between waves, since they will be constantly healing and pulling initial aggro.

From there, you can LoS all adds and start off with your aoe abilities to claim aggro. You can then interrupt any casters that didn't quite LoS completely, and get them all in range of your AoEs (TC and Shockwave) - which you'll be hitting on cooldown as others have said.

Your threat priority will probably go something like TC--> Shockwave-->Shield Slam-->Revenge-->Devastate-->repeat. You'll be using tools like heroic throw (if you speced into gag order) and such between the shockwave and shield slam if there are still mobs out of AoE radius.

Edit: Also, don't forget to be spamming cleave simultaneously with the rest of the rotation.

That said, it's not easy to tank - just keep trying.

#1 solution: Get cleave gylph, and spam cleave thunderclap, and shockwave.

#2: roll paladin

You got a lot of great answers to your question.. As to HoR being mentioned, another great tip I found is that besides Heroic Throwing the mages to bring them into your AOE, you can actually use the new disarm as of 3.3 on the hunter to rip his gun out of his hands and have him follow you in.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Oh, I forgot to add - once you've got aggro, try to keep your back to the wall if possible - the rogues in those trash waves can shadowstep behind you if you don't.

I T-Clap>shockwave>demo shout> SS primary target > thunderclap, and I pop shield block when the stun is up, and then I just cleave spam and tab + devastate, revenge or shield slam, and try not to keep shock wave on cooldown after the first use, I save mine for when I need it, another pat is pulled, someone is about to yank agro, someone did etc, and NEVER be afraid to blow challenging shout.