Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"It's just a game"

Uggh, where to begin. i know that most of the readers of these forums have either heard it or used the phrase "it's just a game". you are free to your own opinions but if you don't want to make progress plz stay out of any raids unless the RL advertises that they just want to attempt the first boss over and over until the raid falls apart. yes, world of warcraft is just a game, but like any game i tend to like progress and get annoyed when i fail. i tend to put forth a little effort when im playing wow because that's all it takes...if you are incapable of doing that you should just go back to playing console games, well game because by your standards "it's just a game" so you don't have to be any good at it or beat it so you will have endless entertainment.
    People who spam one button aren't noobs, they are just ahead of the curve, because at some point the game will be just that easy.

Re: "It's just a game"

I could be a dick and pretend to be witty by saying "It's just a game" but I just ate some mushrooms so I'm not going to.
    GM of <Calm Down> [H | US-Magtheridon], Currently: 7/7M, 3/3H, 1/10M

I'd post one of the usual "Cool Story Bro" image macros, or break out my recently-adopted "In Broviet Russia, Cool Story tells you!" but I just can't bring myself to do it.

So I'll leave you be with this kernel: Your $15 a month says "Know your class or GTFO." Their $15 a month says "I play this game to have fun." If you don't want them in your raid, don't take them. You get to progress and they can continue enjoying the game's solo content. Problem solved, everyone's happy.
    This line will not change of my own volition until Knaak stops screwing Warcraft Lore to write more bad fanfics.

Thanks Amuno!

because you can always tell who the people are that like to stand in fire before the raid starts amiright?
    People who spam one button aren't noobs, they are just ahead of the curve, because at some point the game will be just that easy.

Life's a game. When your born your slowly dieing :-) so meh i dont use 'Its just a game phrase'
    Classic WoW.

Cool story bro, but it's just a game. ;D

nobody else will say it, so I will. :P

if you don't want to make progress plz stay out of any raids unless the RL advertises that they just want to attempt the first boss over and over until the raid falls apart. yes, world of warcraft is just a game, but like any game i tend to like progress
    simple, find a new guild who actually has players who are like minded to you, or players who meet your competancy requirment.

and get annoyed when i fail. i tend to put forth a little effort when im playing wow because that's all it takes...
    sounds lik a personaly problem.
    I DONT RAID! SO SUE MEhttp://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zuluhed&cn=Holyelder

Mildly irritated by a video game is one thing. Obsessing and allowing it to make you do things you would not normally do is quite another. "Just a game" does not mean you can't be interested in progressing or even have slight emotional reactions to things, but usually when someone says "Bro, its just a game calm down" its because someone has allowed themselves to become too invested in something that isn't real and shouldn't be raising that type of emotional response.

Quote Originally Posted by ka0t1k
    because you can always tell who the people are that like to stand in fire before the raid starts amiright?
    A quick inspect tends to show those guys for who they are. Keep an eye out for hunters gearing, gemming, or enchanting for strength, fury warriors with shaman mail on, and DKs gemming spellpower.

Or, you know, go do a trash pull and pay attention. If someone's going to die standing in the fire they're probably going to eat it on a trash pull, especially in Vault, Uld, or ICC. Do keep in mind you now have an entire battlegroup to choose replacements from, not just one server, so don't be afraid to boot after a boss and pop into Cross-Realms LFM.
    This line will not change of my own volition until Knaak stops screwing Warcraft Lore to write more bad fanfics.

Thanks Amuno!

Thanks for volunteering to become your guild's new raid leader.

A couple things to think about in your leading style, you can be a dick and nitpick every damn problem and get everyone mad at you. Or you can accept the problems as they come, not assign blame and instead encourage improvement and play to the strengths of your group.

Essentially what I'm getting at is that as raid leader the first thing you'll have to do is become at least competent at figuring out what the other archetypes do, then you're going to have to figure out how each class performs their archetypical role. (For example paladin healing is actually different than druid healing.)

You'll also have to learn the raid strategies, get on people to learn the strategies, meet with the guild leaders and figure out how you'll handle your loot system. (I'd suggest a DKP or similar system that rewards points based on attendance with a slight bonus for performance and guild support.)

Now if all of this seems like just too much damn work for you, you can just shut your trap and let the people who organize and get the things running and look forward to that "gelling" moment when everyone suddenly does their job perfectly get along with their game.

It is just a game and you're responsible for your level of enjoyment. Just don't be a dick, even if you are frustrated.

Saying "It's just a game" is usually after someone on the raid says something like "OMFG YOU NOOB YOUR PULLING 2K DPS YOU SUCK NOOB LOLOLOLOLOL GET OUT OF THE RAID CUS YOU SUCK AND NO ONE WILL RAID WITH YOU LOLOLOL".

I think people forget that everyone had to level from 1-80 and everyone started off with greens.

Quote Originally Posted by manofwr
    simple, find a new guild who actually has players who are like minded to you, or players who meet your competancy requirment.

sounds lik a personaly problem.
    Sounds like an illiteracy problem to me

Well.. technically, it is a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirion
    Well.. technically, it is a game.
    Haha, well played good sir. i just don't understand how people use that as an excuse to suck =/

Quote Originally Posted by Tulduru
    Saying "It's just a game" is usually after someone on the raid says something like "OMFG YOU NOOB YOUR PULLING 2K DPS YOU SUCK NOOB LOLOLOLOLOL GET OUT OF THE RAID CUS YOU SUCK AND NO ONE WILL RAID WITH YOU LOLOLOL".

I think people forget that everyone had to level from 1-80 and everyone started off with greens.
    Sure, but there's a difference between being a fresh 80 doing 600 dps and a fresh 80 doing 2000 dps in the same gear. :P

Fact is, many of us wouldn't mind educating new players on what to do, but people in this game are so childish, they get hostile no matter how gingerly you broach the topic.

I am the first one to admit that drama is what attracts me to MMOs. Without this type of argumentative action I would lose interest quickly.

Thus, I usually find myself in the position of starting the drama because there is not enough of it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirion
    I am the first one to admit that drama is what attracts me to MMOs. Without this type of argumentative action I would lose interest quickly.

Thus, I usually find myself in the position of starting the drama because there is not enough of it naturally.
    Without arguments this world would be flawed in so many ways >
    Classic WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by ka0t1k
    and get annoyed when i fail.
    You must be annoyed alot!
    Oi!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplehate
    You must be annoyed alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplehate