Thread: Healbot Hate

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...

Re: Healbot Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Alenko
    3 words for you, focus target macro. you will never need a mt window again.
    I don't "need" a mt window now, I just prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    You're free to look me up on the armory and see how "bad" i am. Being that we're on 25 Anub Heroic, you can't really say we've got our rules wrong since our raiding team is among the best on the realm, and i must state that we're one of only a few Horde guilds that are even doing Hardmodes. We're also one of the only raiding guilds on Horde side that are able to raid almost all the nights we have a raid set for on the calendar. I would watch that you don't say something that goes against the forum rules. Even if it is my guild in the spotlight, i'd say the same if it wasn't. You can't bitch about a guild you know nothing about, especially since we're never in the raiding spotlight.

The rule actually dates back to when we were in Black Temple (realm rank #2 i believe). I joined them around the time this rule was added as a Paladin Tank. However, it began when we had people who were running healbot in raids, relying on the addon to do the healing for them, rather than using a little bit of their brain, and healing appropriate targets instead of what the addon told them to.

It was however, a few days ago that the GM of the guild ask me to go over the rules and update them.
    I take that back. It's possible to put together a skilled raiding guild while maintaining an incredibly stupid and arbitrary rule.

Healbot and similar addons are merely a tool that allow people to function better. I fail to see how banning them solves anything. Maybe this solved a problem at some point in the distant past, but currently the rule makes no sense and only serves to hurt you.

We ban 'healbot' on our 25m raids as well... but not for the legacy reasons of the smart healing... rather because it is a *very* chatty addon in the background channel (far more than is necessary imo) and it was causing our MT (who granted has a very sensitive internet connection) to disconnect. Got rid of raiders and guild mates using carbonite and healbot while raids were in progress and dropped our random DC rate significantly.

Most of our healers previously ran grid + clique, a few have converted to VuhDo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezpalulaj
    Now... could any healer in a REALLY top guild (I'm talking somebody who's like half 258 gear) provide helpful advice concerning a significant reason to switch to any of these addons? I'm aware that the vast majority of top healers don't use default raid windows, and I'm just wondering why exactly.

If you want to armory me, I'm the only Jezpalulaj.
    Well, for one thing, the default frames don't show hots. Thats a biggy for resto druids and thus the reason most people start out with healbot because it was easy to show hots.

Showing hots is VERY important regardless of having ilvl 258 gear

Also, i believe its more important to track the right debuffs rather then all debuffs. Knowing what to look for in a fight is very handy - especially to healers. Some things are meaningeless and others you have to act as if your life depends on it. That configurability is very nice.

other then that, having some organization and customizability is very important if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullimo
    What does healbot do - just bind keys to your mouse clicks and let you heal with the mouse clicks?

I have all of my mouse buttons already bound, so that doesn't seem like such an optimal solution.

All of my heals are tied to mouseover macros, makes it way easier for me to play whack a mole without any clicks involved. What am I missing by not using Grid/Healbot?

Healbot gives you very clear bars to show health, debuffs, etc and makes it extremely easy to go from one target to another when healing. One important thing it also does is shows other healers incoming heals. If you se a heal incoming for someone you can go heal another person instead. That can help reduce overhealing and keep the healers more coordinated. IMO any healer who doeasn't use a mod is missing out on something that would help there performance, even if just a little bit. In sayign that though, if poeple don't want to use it then power to them. I wouldn't even consider healing without Healbot as it makes everything very easy with various keybinds and the heal bars. I don't follow any healbot guidelines for ehaling, that is just crazy. I heal based off my own knowledge. So anyone who bashes people for using healing add-ons are 100% stupid.

What does it matter what that guild dictates? It is their guild. The people that put it together may want to run "clean" and not rely on 3rd party help.

What is wrong with that? That is their claim to fame...
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by Falkara
    We ban 'healbot' on our 25m raids as well... but not for the legacy reasons of the smart healing... rather because it is a *very* chatty addon in the background channel (far more than is necessary imo) and it was causing our MT (who granted has a very sensitive internet connection) to disconnect. Got rid of raiders and guild mates using carbonite and healbot while raids were in progress and dropped our random DC rate significantly.

Most of our healers previously ran grid + clique, a few have converted to VuhDo.
    So u kick players who have done nothing wrong from raid, cuz your main tank has "sensitive" internet? LOL!
    Sounds like me u should have invested in a new MT, cuz that is the cause of your problem. In stead of punishing innocent players, who probably contribute more then the MT.
    Sad, sad story....
    -by Saphira-

Quote Originally Posted by Orchill
    So u kick players who have done nothing wrong from raid, cuz your main tank has "sensitive" internet? LOL!
    Sounds like me u should have invested in a new MT, cuz that is the cause of your problem. In stead of punishing innocent players, who probably contribute more then the MT.
    Sad, sad story....
    actually it happens a lot..

when you have people with questhelper/carbonite/auctioneer and anything using libhealcomm going on it causes a lot of unnecessary back traffic.

In our guild we have people from singapore to australia so its very important to minimize any unnecessary traffic and doing hardmodes that much moreso. (can't even trust boss mods in some cases if you're geographically seperated such as our guild)

Quote Originally Posted by blahism
    actually it happens a lot..

when you have people with questhelper/carbonite/auctioneer and anything using libhealcomm going on it causes a lot of unnecessary back traffic.

In our guild we have people from singapore to australia so its very important to minimize any unnecessary traffic and doing hardmodes that much moreso. (can't even trust boss mods in some cases if you're geographically seperated such as our guild)
    I can relate to the geographical issues tho. Most of our guild's random dc's are ppl from the same country (no, i'm not saying which one )
    At a certain point it even interfered with progress. But i can't even remotely think of the idea of kicking other players, so they can have a more stable connection.
    And if those addons u mentioned are rly a problem, u can disable them before raid.

It's like a reverse world, don't cure the disease but kill everyone so the disease can't spread. Ofc it'll help, but there are better options.
    -by Saphira-

Just wanted to point out the one and only problem there is with Healbot:

Bad players.

Period.

If you are not a good player and you are using Healbot to subsidize your lack of skill then you are going to continue to be bad...but your heals will increase.

You will stand in fire more. You will overheal more because its just easier to spam clicks on nameplates than to actually have to pay attention. You will forget that you can defend yourself in other ways than what is keybound through Healbot (gotta bind DS sooner or later...argh.)

As far as healing goes Healbot is the shit, period. As far as the people using it...some are shitty some are 10% better with it.

Me personally? When Healbot craps out after a patch...my pally tanks until an update comes out :P I can't heal myself with self-cast on without Healbot lol.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Gomexus
    Just wanted to point out the one and only problem there is with Healbot:

Bad players.

Period.

If you are not a good player and you are using Healbot to subsidize your lack of skill then you are going to continue to be bad...but your heals will increase.

You will stand in fire more. You will overheal more because its just easier to spam clicks on nameplates than to actually have to pay attention. You will forget that you can defend yourself in other ways than what is keybound through Healbot (gotta bind DS sooner or later...argh.)

As far as healing goes Healbot is the shit, period. As far as the people using it...some are shitty some are 10% better with it.

Me personally? When Healbot craps out after a patch...my pally tanks until an update comes out :P I can't heal myself with self-cast on without Healbot lol.
    help me see the difference with all the other raid frame.. with clique or whatever

A good healer is a good healer. A bad healer is a bad healer.

Whatever mods or macros someone chooses to use is just a personal playstyle preference.

"A toll is a toll, and a roll is a roll. If you dont pay no tolls, we dont eat no rolls."

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    help me see the difference with all the other raid frame.. with clique or whatever
    Never said there was a difference...and by the nature of these mods they all share the same problem...the only problem is bad players.

If you allow a mod that makes every mob in the game look like a gnome, and also allow players to play without name plates....but yet you will not allow a healer to use a mod that has the potential to increase their output...then you're screwy.

They are all helpful and very handy mods for healers. But a bad player...or several bad players in a row...can ruin a mods rep pretty easily...and truth be told...there are a lot of bad players...but very few if any bad healing mods.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Alenko
    this isn't the exact syntax but:

/cast Judgment of [isnert Light or Wisdom]
    target last target (this is the part that isn't the exact syntax but is what that line should do)

why focus the boss.
    I like to know what the boss or mob is dying. Examples; During Lord J on ToGC when everyone focuses the portals/volcanoes, it's possible for a Fireball cast to slip through, I like to know if I need to do a quick dispel rather than than an extra second for DBM to tell me. Some more recent examples are the adds before Lord Marrogar which cast the Silencey spell, I can know when to stop casting. Lady D and Saurfang, I can see who they are casting on, etc etc etc. I'm basically not putting my life and others in the mods, I prefer to have both.

I use healbot few years and i love it. Iam a holy paladin, so there is a limitation of spells which can be casted on raid. Flash, shock, light, sacred shield, beacon, target, protection, salvation, sacrifice, freedom, cleanse, doono what else i have there. Using three-buttons on mouse for three heals, ctlr and alt for buffz.

As for debuffs, bars get coloured by type of debuff on player, and icon is there, so no problem from this side. For buffs, seeing FoL hot, sacred shield effect and beacon of light duration is enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat
    All up to personal preference, I dont think guilds should be dictating what mods people can use unless its affecting the raid as a whole (Spammy addons)
    If there is a direct connection to performance I would say its quite fair for a serious guild to dictate what AddOns can't be used while raiding. When you're raiding you are within a team environment, and if your choices are effecting other players then its probably for the better that its changed.

Personally I have tried Healbot, and I much prefer Grid over it.