Vampiric Touch Re-Cast Time

I have been doing a lot of DPS testing on the dummy and have noticed a fairly significant DPS loss as reported by MFclip in the range of 60-90. I was wondering if anyone can be so precise as to not lose ANY DPS or if it is expected to have some drain just due to the nature of the spell/latency. If this is the case, can anyone tell me how much loss they tend to see? I use Quartz, MFclip, Event Horizon, and forteXorcist as addons. I'm aiming for 50 DPS lost MAXIMUM right now but I can't seem to crack it. I've tried re-casting with 1.8 seconds left on the spell so it lands as the previous VT ends, I've tried casting after VT has fallen off entirely, tried casting with .8 - 1 second left so it lands just AFTER the last has fallen off and really have no better results with any. I have also tried when Event Horizon tells me to and even at that still experience 75 DPS lost. I read a lot about these issues and have tried a buttload of addons but can't seem to find that sweet spot.

Any information is appreciated.

EDIT:
    Here is a parse of DPS on a guild run through Ulduar 25 to clear for attempts on Yogg-0. Can anyone check it out and point out any glaring issues? In the parse I was not present for the Anub HM kill or Flame Leviathan. I typically sit around 90 latency and 60 FPS.

Ulduar Parse - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/4...um/damageDone/
    Armory - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...gus&n=Daisaria

Re: Vampiric Touch Re-Cast Time

Quote Originally Posted by daisaria
    I have been doing a lot of DPS testing on the dummy and have noticed a fairly significant DPS loss as reported by MFclip in the range of 60-90. I was wondering if anyone can be so precise as to not lose ANY DPS or if it is expected to have some drain just due to the nature of the spell/latency. If this is the case, can anyone tell me how much loss they tend to see? I use Quartz, MFclip, Event Horizon, and forteXorcist as addons. I'm aiming for 50 DPS lost MAXIMUM right now but I can't seem to crack it. I've tried re-casting with 1.8 seconds left on the spell so it lands as the previous VT ends, I've tried casting after VT has fallen off entirely, tried casting with .8 - 1 second left so it lands just AFTER the last has fallen off and really have no better results with any. I have also tried when Event Horizon tells me to and even at that still experience 75 DPS lost. I read a lot about these issues and have tried a buttload of addons but can't seem to find that sweet spot.

Any information is appreciated.

EDIT:
    Here is a parse of DPS on a guild run through Ulduar 25 to clear for attempts on Yogg-0. Can anyone check it out and point out any glaring issues? In the parse I was not present for the Anub HM kill or Flame Leviathan. I typically sit around 90 latency and 60 FPS.

Ulduar Parse - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/4...um/damageDone/
    Armory - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...gus&n=Daisaria
    Yes go to shadowpriest.com and setup a nochannel macro. Set it up for every spell you use - basically it will not inturrupt the MF cast until completion or until you jump/move.

Now come back from SP.com and delete your nochannel macro.It doesn't help.Basically it increases your casting time by your latency every time you use it.And that's a HUGE dps loss.
    Back to the original question.I believe it's almost impossible to reach 0 dps loss, due to random lag spike, brain lag, our spell priority casting, they are pretty much unavoidable.Anyway, good for you that you aim for a minimal loss.As far as I know, MFclip also tells you an uptime.If you keep uptime above 95%, you're fine.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?
    I hope shadowfiend will still be able to do damage in 3.1., it's my second "nuke" button next to Inner Focus!

Leap of faith:
    Good news everyone, we can now heal stupidity!
    http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...l&cn=Brokolice

Can anyone translate this? Is it from the addon not being updated to reflect haste changes and so it's showing negative values lost, essentially showing what I gained with haste, totally screwing up what would be my "uptime" and a better reflection of what I'm really losing?

edit: and yeah I tried the nochannel for a couple of days and found it was a DPS loss, so I dropped it

Oh really? My bad.... I stopped playing my priest in 3.2. Sounds like a terrible bug?

Quote Originally Posted by daisaria
    Can anyone translate this? Is it from the addon not being updated to reflect haste changes and so it's showing negative values lost, essentially showing what I gained with haste, totally screwing up what would be my "uptime" and a better reflection of what I'm really losing?

edit: and yeah I tried the nochannel for a couple of days and found it was a DPS loss, so I dropped it
    yes thats because of the addon not taking haste into account.

if you have recount installed then you can get your uptime from that by looking at the total number of ticks and the length of fight.
    or you could just look at the info from your parse, under the damage by spell for your character it says the percentage uptime there.

and about the macro to not clip MF, I have no idea why people see this as helpful really, clipping MF at correct times for higher priority spells will improve your dps, just if you can not time the ticks then you will see a drop

My uptime sucks. I don't know how to improve it precisely without clipping. That's my problem. The most recent strat I heard is that you take take the cast time of your VT, subtract .5 sec, and that's how long you begin refreshing before it falls off. idk...I keep having dps loss of ~70-90 in a 3 minute parse on the dummy seemingly no matter what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by PurechaosSK
    Yes go to shadowpriest.com and setup a nochannel macro. Set it up for every spell you use - basically it will not inturrupt the MF cast until completion or until you jump/move.
    Do NOT set it up for every cast you use, you deliberately need to cilp MF on occasion, not doing so is a DPS loss.

It's good to have on MF so you can spam the button and cast 2 consecutive MFs (or more) easier, but having it on all your spells is retarded considering every other spell has a higher priority.

I believe it was stated by the author that the dps loss MFclip reports is calculated so that it takes into account the whole fight length and compares it to the length of time in which you were actually casting. So all the inevitable little gaps between spells add upp.. I also did some testing with MFclip and it does seem impossible to get a negligible dps loss. I think you should be happy with your 70 dps loss in a 3 minute testing phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Yon
    I believe it was stated by the author that the dps loss MFclip reports is calculated so that it takes into account the whole fight length and compares it to the length of time in which you were actually casting. So all the inevitable little gaps between spells add upp.. I also did some testing with MFclip and it does seem impossible to get a negligible dps loss. I think you should be happy with your 70 dps loss in a 3 minute testing phase.
    70 to 90 dps is nothing in terms of raid DPS and i've yet to see any encounters in LK that are tuned to the point where this would make any difference. It's good to strive to improve where you can but you also need to understand when lag and mechanics are goign to work against you and not to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    70 to 90 dps is nothing in terms of raid DPS and i've yet to see any encounters in LK that are tuned to the point where this would make any difference. It's good to strive to improve where you can but you also need to understand when lag and mechanics are goign to work against you and not to worry about it.
    Yes, that was the point I was trying to convey to the OP. I think I may have formulated my post badly though. In any case, a 70 dps loss reported by MFclip shouldn't be anything to worry about. I thought it was rather good, actually.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    It's good to have on MF so you can spam the button and cast 2 consecutive MFs (or more) easier
    Isn't that bad, especially if you have high latency? Afaik it's a client side check, so you can't compensate for latency when queing Mind flays with that macro, because your client doesn't allow you to send another MF command while still channeling. Also, you sometimes need to cut MF for a new MF when taking spell pushback.

It's probably better to have to the macro if you're latency is under 100ms, because it reduces human error and you can't reliably compensate for latency that small. However, if you have 200ms latency, you can easily hit the red zone in your cast bar and shave 50-100ms off every time while still being on the safe side.