Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...

Re: Why I think WoW Lacks Tanks and Healers

Quote Originally Posted by Loxley
    I think tanking is fine tbh, if they would have made it easier i would prob quit. Faceroll on all my tanks to keep threat, some position changes, a taunt here or there and a CD when you getting raped. Can't say its harder than dpsing in terms of activity/awareness. Problem with tank shortage is always been the ratio of groups, be it 5man or 25. You never bring as much tanks to either setup as you do with dps.
    Yep you got it. Raid tanking is made up of 3 mechanics.

1) MT boss, OT grab adds
    2) MT and OT taunt back and forth
    3) MT and OT share big hits (like Koralon and Marrowgar)

That sums up tanking. I find 5 mans harder due to the larger number of tards facepulling.

In our 25 man ICC we used the strat where everyone stands in the bosses hitbox which made all of the Coldflames target the tanks. I actaully got to keep moving while fighting, I had to pay attention, yipee.

Many boss fights I can build threat and chat in GChat
    "Peace is a lie"

Imo, main problem with that is lack of competition when u are tank or healer.People just like to compete whether its raid or just 5 man.
    tank in raid just cant compete with another tank(s) since there is no value in recount where they could measure thier performance. Almost same goes for healers, since healing meter mostly dont show true healer performance.
    Therefore, healing and tanking can get bored, since tank or healer cant show how good they are in numerical way.
    On the other hand, dpsers can compete cos every their hit count on meter and thats the thing which push them to be better and better.

Im currently leveling my DK , 2h Frost Tanking my way up all random LK dungeons.
    I dont really know if i have tanking issues. I've never tanked this much.
    Sometimes ppl say something about how i need to get aggro but i dont get demotivated. Even if they curse i usually dont get afected by it. I dont know whats happening behind that moving char and i've stoped judging ppl along time ago.

Weedhair is da name, and tanking in Khadgar EU is da game

With regards to the complaints about/at tanks. IME that seems to be a PvP server mentality. When I was on a PvP server (where I *leveled* as a prot pally mind you) the overall mentality was much less congenial than on the PvE server I am on now.

I tank, heal, and DPS among my two 80s. I will often queue up as Tank or Healer not to get teh fast pops, but because I remember what it was like in BC with nobody wanting to do heroics (the PvP server again) because they were in BGs, Arenas, or raids. I sat there unable to get heroics because nobody was running them. When I queue as DPS I generally do it with friends who have tank and/or heals.

Heroics are for gearing up, nothing less. Be that Emblems runs or drops for people who are at that level (alts, newbies, etc.). That said, if you have a high GS and are DPS you damned well better put out the DPS to match. Mages in a timed CoS and 4400GS pulling 400DPS I'm looking at you.[1] No this not a place to be working on your unarmed skill or your wand skill. You will be kicked and ignored. In fact any DPS with a GS of over 3k better be putting out at least as much DPS as the tank.

If you are in greens/blues your DPS is not an issue. But those of you who can do better, do it. I don't give my tanking or healing a pass, work on my and skill or my unarmed as tank, and neither should you. That is called being an arsemuncher.

Sometimes as a tank I'll push beyond our limits. But then I know them, and so do you. In WoW, much like in life, our limits are further out than we realize. IME people see this and tell me it is the most fun they've had in a heroic in a long time. The rest just say nothing or "cool".

If I look at the gear of the PUG and you all have 4k+ I will push and push hard. If I see greens and blues, not so much. If you are geared DPS I expect you to know what you are doing. ESPECIALLY if you mention your GS. If you do that you will tank or take everything you pull. That and you taunt it, you tank.

I've not had a single complaint since moving to the PvE server to be with friends, an unexpected benefit.

1. No kidding. When told he needed to step up the DPS he achieved around 2400 and started bragging about it. I pointed out that as a tank my DPS was pretty close (2300) and that my mage in slightly less gear than his doubled his DPS. Yes, he got ignored.

too many 'casuals.' people just want things easy now, easy loot and easy raids, easy class mechanics.

The only reason im not tanking atm(unless i have to) is because its stressfull :
    I have no idea what this means, but it sounds about right^^

Quote Originally Posted by Zerrun
    All of the above are valid arguements but has anyone else ever simply thought that since we all level characters as dps that the majority of people don't change their play styles to healers or tanks unless required.
    Kind of a broad statement there, I for one leveled my second paladin purely as Prot, one of my druids is being leveled with a mostly bear spec, and I've seen multipled warriors level as their respective tanking spec. Saying everyone levels as dps is simply wrong.

As to the topic, WoW doesn't lack tanks or heals, what it lacks is tanks and healers that enjoy running with other players that you could almost classify as legally retarded.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Honestly, with the system set up as it is, I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to play a tank at the moment.

You get utter control of the instance. You get instant queues. You get any gear you want that drops. You get priority, you have a guaranteed raid spot, everyone asks you to do something at any point, you have to decide what instance you want to go to, instead of "Is there a spot for me?".

If you're complaining as a tank because the big bad dps pulls a mob off you sometimes, there's something wrong with your entitlement.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by jster
    Just my Opinion, Discuss if you like:

Back in BC when i played a tank, you cant do anything outside of tanking unless if you have dps OS. I couldnt do dailies in any timely manor since i couldnt dps good at all. Also DPS is a large/broad area in which are needed much more than tanks in healers (Number wise) in each raid.

On my warlock i am sitting at a realm 1st guild while having a 6 button rotation. I can practically move out of fires, and click these buttons and beat any boss while pulling 7K+. On my tank toons it is much more. Also, i see people die to fires often. When a tank dies because he did one thing wrong, whole raid yells, you have much more pressure and the difficulty of tanking is much higher. If blizzard is catering to casuals so much, they might as well make tanks much easier.

As a healer you can use most of the argument above, also Need to pay attention I know most of you are like no shit, but i seen dps not even know what the hell we are pugging, just play with add-ons or online while he sits button mashing. As a healer you need to not fuck up like a tank. Its a much harder job than DPS.

Discuss if you like, Burn me like you will.
    They've already made tanking a ton easier than it was. For example, people used to have to watch threat. Nowadays if you pull aggro it is because the tank failed. They made it ridiculously easy for tanks to gen threat.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight
    Kind of a broad statement there, I for one leveled my second paladin purely as Prot, one of my druids is being leveled with a mostly bear spec, and I've seen multipled warriors level as their respective tanking spec. Saying everyone levels as dps is simply wrong.

As to the topic, WoW doesn't lack tanks or heals, what it lacks is tanks and healers that enjoy running with other players that you could almost classify as legally retarded.
    Did your quest blues and greens give you a defense capped set before you dinged 80? No? Then you didn't level as a tank.

The "solution" here would have been to force players to run 5 normals before heroics to get tanks def capped gear. But that would go against the "lulz free epiks for evryone" mentality GC loves so much.

Edit: I leveled my paladin ret. Ran alt raids as ret to try to get gear and ended up with a mix of plate mail and cloth naxx healing gear. Switched to heals with the intent of building a ret set over time. Now I have 4 piece 25 man T9 healing gear and still don't have a full ret set.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.