Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...

Re: Why people hate tanking

Quote Originally Posted by Apathetian
    OP, I'm sorry, but I think you might just be bad.

I started off in vanilla as a rogue, and now, although my rogue is 80, all the characters that I play are tanks, or dps when I'm pvping...

why? Because if you have the faintest clue what you're doing, you're sacred to the wow community. You get an instant place in the dungeon/raid you're interested in doing, and you can make people do what they're supposed to do, or you have them replaced.

Sure, I have fun dpsing every once and a while, but as a tank, you have authority. The sad thing is tho, that besides the fact that you can't just afk and expect the instance/raid to be done (anyone still pissed off at those rogues that were still afk during the supression room in bwl?) tanking is just about as easy as the game gets if you're a) literate b) not blind.

If you really think that's why people hate tanking, its probably just that fall into that huge group of baddies that can't see your failures as a tank represent how truly awful at this game you are...

... although, come to think about it, maybe that is why everyone hates tanking and the real problem is that there's just that many baddies out there playing this game!
    True to some degree, it indeed is a huge problem, for wanna be tanks (people who still gear up) to get their stuff together, it is quite absurd, that everybody is whinning about the lack of tanks, yet buying your fist set of gear cost you roughly 3-4K gold and you only get kicked out of groups for wearing it, what people *truly* want is this:

veteran tanks, fully geared up, ready to handle the situation when the shit hits the fan...

but NOBODY wants to help the newcomer tanks to get to that point.

As someone once said:

"Well, you see, Tanks and Heal NEED at last a full T10 set, enchants and the best Gems possible, we DPS classes can Pwn in ANY gear"

15+ Year Old Account

I kinda feel your pain. I tank as a paladin and like doing a Random heroic. My gear isn't great yet, and thus threat is an issue sometimes. I just got a group with 1 full t9.5 mage and 1 t9.5 SP. Both from different servers. The mage pulled aggro quite often, died sometimes, but blamed merely himself. The SP on the hand whined that I couldn't hold aggro, why I didn't BoP, why the healer didn't save him and so on. Only have one thing to say: thank you blizzard for votekick. ;D

I had Hpos yesterday through the random and arrived with a 30k hp warrior tank in blues and lvl200 craftables.
    The warrior apologised for his gear, and admitted he would never have purposly que'd for that particular instance.
    We started off a bit dodgy with a couple wipes. Mainly due to the overgeared rogue thinking he was god and body pulling mobs. Once the vote to kick was passed on the rogue, we proceeded to clear the instance with no hassle.

Moral of the story, i would rather run with undergeared skilled players than overgeared retards.

Deleted

I dont get the point at not willing to tank heroics.

I mean, I started tanking yesterday. I got 4 pieces of tankgear, 2 of them were mainhand and shield so I got actually 2 eal pieces of armor. I talked to a friend via Teamspeak about tanking, he mentioned to give it a try, so I did.

I started with my axe mainhand, my shield from strat hc, my breastplate from PoS hc and my ilvl200 bracers from idk. Rest of my gear was Furious Gladiator gear, I was unable to get crit hit but my avoidance sucked. But I tanked and I did pretty well. Now, after earning about 150 or 180 badges and gear from it, I'm pretty decend geared, aggro is no problem for me and I can chainpull stuff, now.

I repeate myself, I mainly tanked in PVP gear, so gearing up isn't that hard. Especially when you have instant group invites via PuGging.

Ofc I have no idea how this method works for DKs, droods and warrior tanks, but for me as a Pally tank it worked pretty well. Only sad aspect was recount: I did several instances and made #1 in dps and dmg, as a tank ...

Tanking is fun

catch 22 really, tanks need 38k+ hp to tank heroics, and yet they need to do the heroics to get the gear to get there hp that high

dk tanks dont get decent till high gear lvls, where as palys + wars are good from low gear to high (druids somewhere in between)

@ op: both you and the grp was wrong, not dpsing skull first? bad. tanking w/ a dps spec? bad.

I love tanking on my death knight and my paladin. My brother likes tanking on his druid. Both of us hate healing.
    Then Rhonin went down to Blackrock Depths, killed Emperor Dagram Thaurissan, and fathered the heir to the throne of Ironforge with the extremely grateful Moira Bronzebeard. But he wasn't done yet; the Dark Iron Dwarves were doing the bidding of Ragnaros the Firelord, so Rhonin went down to Molten Core and beat the crap out of everybody.

"TOO SOON," bellowed Ragnaros.

But Rhonin was all: "It's never too soon to party, Rhonin-style."

And then he beat Ragnaros to death with his own hammer, because Rhonin is the only Mage who ever had the mad skillz to train two-handed maces.

On the way out of Blackrock Mountain, Rhonin went to the spire and pwned Nefarian. He saved Vaelestrasz the Red, and the two did a celebratory chest bumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Cearat
    It is hard to gear up a tank, and yes, you are gonna get flamed by some ppl.
    But, you are gonna be golden when you go about 40k hp UB
    I like to tank, but I hate stupid random retards in group.

as healer I have 35000 mana UB, as long as tank is geared enough for instance and know how to tank, it's fine.

as tank I have 40000 health UB, I tanked pug heroic nexus and left after 2nd boss.

4 mobs in a pull, I cast AS on the caster mob, and HotR the rest melee mobs when I was running the caster mobs. 3 DPS attacked different targets on those 3 melee mobs. I lost aggro, so I decided to taunt the targets off DK and warrior, and let the mage to handle the rest one, cuz mage had frost nova, iceblock etc then i would still have the aggro on that mob. I only have 2 taunts as paladin. I am not a good tank b/c it's offspec. but I made correct decision in less than one sec. However, mage died after 3 sec without frost nova, blink, iceblock. what mage did was AB before death.

ok not big deal, so I just said, dps please assist my targets. then healer said, you fail at tanking.

well then, I leave. good luck guys.

you know, the worest thing is retard dps think they are pro.

A lot of Dk's do take a ton of damage, cause they think it's as easy as switching gear. That's why they eat the floor, they aren't spec'd Toughness, Anticipation, or Blade Barrier. Which if they are is 10% more armor, 5% less damage., and 5% more dodge. The majority of the Dk community seems border line special ed for reasons like this. They get a free 55 and lollevel to 80 in a week and a half with no idea how to properly spec or gear. So they end up getting destroyed, or do terrible dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisa

I mean, I started tanking yesterday. I got 4 pieces of tankgear, 2 of them were mainhand and shield so I got actually 2 eal pieces of armor. I talked to a friend via Teamspeak about tanking, he mentioned to give it a try, so I did.

I started with my axe mainhand, my shield from strat hc, my breastplate from PoS hc and my ilvl200 bracers from idk. Rest of my gear was Furious Gladiator gear, I was unable to get crit hit but my avoidance sucked. But I tanked and I did pretty well. Now, after earning about 150 or 180 badges and gear from it, I'm pretty decend geared, aggro is no problem for me and I can chainpull stuff, now.

I repeate myself, I mainly tanked in PVP gear, so gearing up isn't that hard. Especially when you have instant group invites via PuGging.

Ofc I have no idea how this method works for DKs, droods and warrior tanks, but for me as a Pally tank it worked pretty well. Only sad aspect was recount: I did several instances and made #1 in dps and dmg, as a tank ...

Tanking is fun
    Get back to us in 2 weeks and tell us if you still feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganoes
    That's funny, my two mains are tanks. Not DKs though. Real tanks.
    Gratz but you know whats REALLY funny? How much no one cares what your "Main(s)" happen to be, your still an ass.

As much as you don't consider DK's as being a tank(and I'd assume you think the same about druids) they are as you put it "Real Tanks." Blizzard classified them as such so that is what they are. What you've encountered are shitty DK's that have NO idea how to gear or manage their defensive cooldowns. About 25% of the DK tanks I've encountered aren't completely retarded, I'm sorry if 99% of the ones you've encountered are.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisa
    It's not really an issue of not being willing to tank heroics, it's more an issue of a large number of players not willing to accept the fact that you don't need 35k health to tank most of them. You don't need to be defense "capped" all though it does help.

Something else that annoys me is the number of dps that seem to care if the tanks defense is high enough, I mean seriously? What do they care? Their not the one's healing, as long as the healer can adjust to a crit-able tank and the tank doesn't die who really cares?

Oh and of course the healers that cringe when they see me show up and ready to tank in my miss match set of tanking and pvp gear, and yes I do have my real tank set in my bags at the time. 32k unbuffed health and pulling almost double most of my dps's damage on single targets is always amusing when the run completes without a hitch.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

The funny thing is, whenever I’m in a group tanking for real good DPS, BiS equipped, from top notch raiding guilds, everything is smooth even though I'm a casual play, my tank spec is 2nd spec and the equip is only around 219 item level average. These guys are usually reasonable and articulate, they manage to do good DPS but do watch their threat, and it’s even possible to have a little fun chat with them in between. They don’t complain if the tank is half in blues and has 25k life unbuffed because they know that’s perfectly sufficient to tank any pre-Colliseum heroic if the other players play well. Their self worth also doesn’t depend on what Recount says.

It’s usually the wannabes who are farming badges like madmen because they didn’t get the equip from raiding in the previous patch who don’t know how to behave.

Quote Originally Posted by Borakh
    The funny thing is, whenever I’m in a group tanking for real good DPS, BiS equipped, from top notch raiding guilds, everything is smooth even though I'm a casual play, my tank spec is 2nd spec and the equip is only around 219 item level average. These guys are usually reasonable and articulate, they manage to do good DPS but do watch their threat, and it’s even possible to have a little fun chat with them in between. They don’t complain if the tank is half in blues and has 25k life unbuffed because they know that’s perfectly sufficient to tank any pre-Colliseum heroic if the other players play well. Their self worth also doesn’t depend on what Recount says.

It’s usually the wannabes who are farming badges like madmen because they didn’t get the equip from raiding in the previous patch who don’t know how to behave.
    This is so true. I tank and only ever have issues with the kiddies who think they are pro and live by recount. Most of the BiS guys iv grouped with have been great and dont even need to be asked to watch threat. Whereas the kiddies are like whats threat?

Good players are good players, at the end of the day, and are most usually ready to give other players a chance until they prove they're bad. Bad players are mostly rude, inconsiderate, selfish, ignorant and stupid. They only think of themselves and are very quick to criticise any and all perceived flaws in other people to help take the attention off themselves. Keep rolling, ignore the bad, enjoy the good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nookz
    I'd just like to say that people who say marking is dumb (I've seen it pop up in some posts here) are idiots themself or are just poor dps. When I ran the new heroics with my guildies I always mark the first mob to be killed and often the second mob to in 4+ groups. Just because all of our dps consistently pull 5k single target dps or higher . Some dps use aoe, other single target. And it's impossible as a warrior tank (or even for all tanks in general) to generate 5-6k tps on multiple mobs. I make sure that the dps can nuke one mob if they want and at the same time make sure the aoe'ers can do their thing to. If you don't mark, you have no idea who the single target nukers are gonna target. It's not a shame to mark, hell if you can always hold aggro without marking it means your dps is lacking (and no, 4k dps is not what I consider high).
    Marking may not be dumb in any way, but its way easier and quicker to use assist on the tanks, you know just press "f". Also there is a reason for me to hate arms warriors when tanking, they seem to think its funny to pop bladestorm after they charge a group of mobs half a second after they are engaged. That often leaves a dead warrior who usually starts flexing the e-peen over his massive DPS (wow, he was alive for 4-5 secs...) and blame the tank for being a noob and he gets killed cause they couldn't hold aggro.
    A lot of times i've seen people go for the wrong target due to not using assist macros or pressing f, as DK tank i can use several mechanics to draw caster mobs to me, it gets a bit fuzzy if there is more than one in a mob group, what i usually do is go towards one, the moment i get into combat i use Death and Decay and either deathgrip the other castermob near to the other or use strangulate. The problem is that a lot of DPS thinks that im targeting the first caster mob (which im only using as a marker of where i want them to be tanked) and go for that one, so even before i get my rotation in motion i have to use taunt.
    All i have to say is: DPS, learn to assist tanks, your penis dont grow in random pugs if you die because you pull aggro, in fact the only thing that happens is that the tank gets tired of you and after a while he won't even bother to taunt targets that go after you.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatchris
    also, we're not glass cannons anymore, we haven't been for ages. either that or everyone is a cannon, and some are plate cannons.

This was a great read OP, first thread I have enjoyed reading in a long time. This game has become far more mainstream than ever, and grouping is a rinse and reuse cycle far more than it has ever been. It's through this disposable process that people don't create friendships in instances, they simply go through the motions to meet a common goal part ways and generally never interact together again.

I used to be a tank, I enjoyed it but it's always been a thankless job. Healers have always seemed to demand props or thanks, and I gladly offered mine. But tanks were the silent unthanked players, back when one spec was all you got, and dealing damage as a tank wasn't possible. I loved tanking, and I enjoyed people asking me "hey mind if I add you to friends" because they had enjoyed the pace, and ease I afforded them through my playstyle. Granted I eventually became one of the better tanks in the game, and disappeared into the raid scene never to touch a pug again unless out of boredom or generosity (believe it or not, I have always enjoyed helping the little guy). I doubt wow will ever get back to that, actually I know it won't. I am a rogue now, and I wouldn't know the tanking scene these days but I can only assume everyone views them as mindless morons who either "have a brain" and just smash the right buttons (to them anyway) or are retarded.

Hang in there, I might disagree with you tanking as DPS spec but that is your own decision. I came across generally enjoyable people one in every 7 or so groups, probably nowadays it's more like one in every 12. Hopefully your good memories will outweigh the bad, and people will appreciate your gameplay.

for tanking pugs, Prot paladins get a gold star.