Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Is it considered bad form if you're in a random LFG group

Quote Originally Posted by Stieger23
    If you were actually good, you could keep the fight from going south in any role.

Great DPS takes the pressure off of healers and tanks by burning down mobs.
    Great healing take the pressure off of tanks and dps by keeping everyone on their feet
    Great tanks can make up for bad healing and dps by good pulls and cooldown management.

If you're finding your runs going south a lot, you're probably just not that good.

So yes, it's a dick move... but you're replaceable. I'm not saying you're bad, although you might be. I'm just saying you're no better than very average, and a new average player won't be hard to find.
    What separates the good player from the average player is being able to control the situation if you need to. When I started getting into heroic HoR on my pally alt (still wearing two BoA items since nothing drops), my DPS isn't stellar to sway the run by burning down mobs super fast, but I'll be sure to HoJ/Fear/HoF/HoS/Cleanse all I can to make sure the run in a success if it helps. I could just DPS down crap and ignore everything else, then complain when the healer or a DPS dies from aggro, or the burst damage is too great for the tank when I could have CC'd an undead mob for a bit... but that would just make me your average, crappy ret paladin.

I'll admit there was only one heroic where I actually left because there was no way to control/teach the group what was necessary to progress through the instance. I was on my arms warr, with a rogue/hunter, pally tank, shammy healer in heroic HoR of all places. There's only so many times you can tell someone "interrupt/stunlock that mob, use a trap here to help, for the luv of all that is holy and unholy don't stop healing at 10% on the first boss because you think he's going to die anyways... you do realize Holy Wrath would stun all these mobs and keep you from dying a few seconds for the healer to get you back up, right? ...Yes, you can cleanse that.... being LoS to the mobs doesn't mean you stand out in the middle of the room..." After 6 wipes to the same stuff and trying to educate the people, I suggested the group just cut their losses and disband (this was before the new gear requirement change to the instance, but i don't think those people would have made it in nowadays). Granted it can be like pulling teeth, but I will at least make an effort to teach people what to do. It's better to have at least some people learn than keep throwing ignorance back into the LFG pool.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by aquifer
    Agreed

elitist peices of shit like the OP are exactly whats wrong with wow atm.

heroics are for people to get geared, and 90% of people you will group with during random heroic are either alts in full blues or people who have JUST started wow, in full blues and no clue how to play. instead of being a complete cunt, which only wastes your own time because you have to find another group, you could help the people you are with through the dungeon, makeing it faster, smoother, and a whole lot more fun for everyone.

If a little common curtecy is too much to ask, please kill yourself, the world is better off without.
    What's REALLY REALLY REALLY fucking funny to me (maybe because it's 5:26 AM, but anyways) You were actually an "elitist piece of shit" for posting this. lol
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Bar ICC5mans, single person can turn the tide of entire run to group's favor. If you are that person, you won't need to leave. If you are not that person, noone will notice you left because you weren't important. And if you were supposed to be that person, you suck and fail at what you do and should just quit WoW.

I drop group on randoms at the first sign of trouble. I'm not wasting heroic IDs on retards who can't play. You fuck up, I'm out.

Edit: Just dropped group on wave 2 of heroic HoR because the tank didn't pick up aggro on everything and the mage died. Not interested in failures, so I left. I hope it caused a wipe.

Herein, we discuss matters of the utmost importance.

Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d
    Bar ICC5mans, single person can turn the tide of entire run to group's favor. If you are that person, you won't need to leave. If you are not that person, noone will notice you left because you weren't important. And if you were supposed to be that person, you suck and fail at what you do and should just quit WoW.
    This.

I've left a few groups, but I don't leave cause we are failing but because people fail at getting along and it's not worth it to me. If you see someone is doing something you feel is wrong (ie pulling to many mobs, not pulling fast enough, letting dps die, pulling as dps, using the wrong abilities to dps etc) try being polite if you must tell them. I can't count the number of people I've seen start cursing other people out in heroics, when it's not really even changing our progress much.

Off topic, if you get kicked does it give you dungeon deserter debuff?
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Deleted

Funny how everyone falls for this troll....

Tip: You can't use the "teleport out of dungeon" while you are in combat.

Apart from that in my opinion it is the easy gear that has made people dicks. People run around in their ilvl245 toc25 loot so they obviously have to think they are uber pro and so much better then that "nob" in his blue gear.
    It is usually the same kind of people that links a dps or healing meter after every fight because they are so proud of overgearing content from 4 tiers ago.

In vanilla / tbc people would generally take some wipes in a pug heroic or raid, but now in wotlk it seems to have gotten to people's head and you see them leaving after 1 wipe in heroics and even in raids, if they make a mistake themselves (it is usally these kind of people who die in fires at emalon, die due to poison at beasts or to a tail at anub etc.) you just hear a lot of blabla and how it couldn't have been their fault.

It is just the sad state of wow atm, get used to it.....

Quote Originally Posted by xoxoAlu
    If a group is terrible, do it.
    Example, quick Old kingdom run.
    Not a single person focuses on Spell flingers, who then proceed to cast on the tank for 20k dmg. tank pulls more than one of them, tank dies.

I tell group to kick/cancel that cast. Tank dies again....

alt+f4....
    At least be a man and drop group so that they (probably decent people) dont sit there waiting 5 minutes for you to come back from your DC.

If you try to help them and they dont listen to you then you're free to leave imo. People who get in with bads and then leave the first time something goes wrong are lazy dicks though. If you just explain to them what they're doing wrong they'll usually thank you and improve(at least a little). I guess I shouldn't say usually, half the time they will just ignore you and keep screwing up. That's when you drop group.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

how is letting dps die a bad thing?

if tabbing thru omen every few seconds is too much to ask, you dont deserve to be in heroics

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster

Doesn't matter if hes making shit up, its still a valid question/topic.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster

He said "click portrait , leave group and get teleported" , im pretty sure you can leave groups whilst in combat

It depends cause if the group was doing great and you happen to wipe there could be a valid reason. I swear some people have little to no patience in this thread. Leave on a wiping trash mobs on the first pull, maybe the tank or healer dc'd, maybe something on their end screwed up. Give people the benefit of the doubt. There are other reasons why wipes happen outside of "they're bad players". Leaving after 1 wipe IMO is wrong. You have more of a justified reason if you wiped the 2nd time, atleast you GAVE the group a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Christ
    I drop group on randoms at the first sign of trouble. I'm not wasting heroic IDs on retards who can't play. You fuck up, I'm out.

Edit: Just dropped group on wave 2 of heroic HoR because the tank didn't pick up aggro on everything and the mage died. Not interested in failures, so I left. I hope it caused a wipe.
    Please tell me your in game name so ........ So i can add you on ignore because i don't ever want to be randomly grouped with someone with a mentality like yours.
    Oh and BTW u go make a tank and tank heroic HoR with a pug , do it once / day and see how many party members u get killed , If a mage dies from adds its his fault not nuking the tanks target and not iceblocking when he got agro, those waves are not so easy as u think if each dps nukes a diferent target right when they come ... so please spare give me your nickname so i can already add you on ignore pleaaaase .

Long live Garona Halforcen ! Cheers to Odexy for the Sig !

I've dropped groups on several occasions. I've also stayed with bad groups to keep them up. As a healer I had a group in PoS that didn't understand what to do with Krick and Ick at all. They stayed still in the poison nova, they didn't run when targeted and they stood in bombs. I kept that group up as best as i could for the rest of the instance.

But then I've had groups where the tank is paying no attention to the position of me as his healer or paying any mind when he missed getting aggro on a mob and its wailing on me. I've had several tanks just run to the next group and out of range while I was drinking. Sometimes I will stick with it, but other times I will just leave them because they are causing me too much of a headache to deal with.

I had one group in Old Kingdom where it seemed like I was the only one who knew the place at all. I can usually deal with that. but what killed my interest in continuing was the tanks lack of paying attention to his surroundings, either getting himself killed or forcing me to burn through my mana on normally easy pulls. It also didn't help that the hunter was a huntard to the truest form, and he was literalling trying to melee dps. I decided that group just wasn't worth the headaches of the bosses after the 1st and left.

Well, I've done both. I've stayed on to help out groups that I could (greens/blues, but good people, trying their best and trying to improve) and left (where the tank is a total nutter pulling 4 packs of mobs when he's just about 30k HP, or DPS doesnt know how to hold off till tank has aggro)

I don't think its a bad thing to leave a failing group, because honestly, the 15 minute debuff is probably going to be shorter than waiting it out, but instead of Alt+F4 or just leaving group, I usually just wipe once and say, sorry folks, but this group isn't cutting it. yeah, they may cuss me out after, but I just think its courtesy to inform before I leave. Of course, people can troll saying that Im being elitist about it, but that's just my 2c
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Tanks are bowls. Healers are milk. DPS is the cereal. If you don't have a bowl, nothing's going anywhere but where you don't want it. If your milk's bad, the whole meal is instantly ruined. If there is not enough cereal, the whole meal is a failure and you aren't satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by SurePlay
    If your time is being wasted, then leave.

Time is the most valuable thing in WoW, those who think that other people should be forced to waste their own time to either help them gear up or l2p are selfish arseholes themselves.

My time is precious, if you waste it, i will waste yours by leaving your group.
    If your time is so precious, you might start thinking about playing different game or not doing random PUG heroics. Random PUGs are exactly what are they called. Random. And that includes gear and experience of players in your group. If you can't stand new people, don't PUG, run premades.
    Everyone started somewhen and just because you have 5 years headsup, it doesn't make you any better.

I love your sig tho, exactly expresses my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Talus
    While it's only about 14-18k damage,
    It's actually 80% of your HP Pool, so it's possible to be well over 20k depending on how much stamina the tank is carrying...

On that same subject - I raid as balance, but have a feral tank offspec for doing heroics. It's geared in mostly 245 stuff, and therefor well, well well surpasses the requirement for any heroic in the game. Last week however, I was in Old Kingdom - Flinger didn't get marked (I wasn't leader) and nobody DPS'd it. I bashed the first, feral charged the second, then it hit me - healer wasn't really paying attention and I blew SI/Regen just incase.

Party chat read something like:

"wtf 5200 gearscore and he's not even defcapped" - the other four people were all guildies, and joined in to slag my gear off...

*for those that don't know, feral tanks get def cap from talents - no defence is needed on gear...

Seconds later I was votekicked

It's my only bad experience from the new LFG system though, I tank 99% of my runs and I've never had a problem. Several times I've been grouped with lesser geared healers / dps, sometimes not even knowing tactics for basic things and I enjoy the challenge over blasting it with guildies tbh.

Back to the OP, I'd never leave after one wipe though - but then since I'm almost always tanking, if we do wipe chances are it was my fault - or I could have done something to prevent it :P

10+ Year Old Account

well, i leave at the third wipe, always. but i dont wanna be "that asshole" who left at the first accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrankdatank
    and you start to notice that a fight(either trash or a boss fight) is starting to go south so instead of dying with the rest of the group you click your portrait, leave group, and get teleported out?

I've done that a few times, using the excuse that "they're bads, they deserve it anyway", but am wondering if I should stop before I really get a bad name for myself.
    I haven't been in a group that failed to clear a heroic. The most wipes i've had is 2 with the same group.

I mostly play DK dps in heroics (an alt im gearing up). If the tank can't keep agro, i death grip the mob off the poor warlock, hit a CD and bring it to the tank. If I have to do that a lot, I switch to frost presence and put on some tanking pieces.

The long and short is that if you work at it, you can make up for a fail group by going the extra mile. Use CC, do some off healing or tanking, blow some CD's.

Its actually fun to have to use all your cunning to achieve a fast run with an otherwise fail group.

I had an exceptionally bad Halls of Stone run this one time on my Alt-Lock.

I out-geared everyone but the healer(and we're only talking relentless pieces and some badge gear on my lock)
    The other 2 dps pull 1.5k dps throughout the entire instance.(i dont really set the bar high with my 3-4k dps either....but sheesh)
    The Tank cannot keep threat on more than 2 targets ever(this is a pally tank btw)
    Multiple times on trash i see the 1.5k dps'rs dying from said bad tanking(and them being bad for not having a threat meter)
    The healer is apparently unable to heal anyone but the tank as well.

On Maiden, she starts to shock, i step into the void zone.... and im the only one who does so. Maiden proceeds to 2 shots me)

On the defending brann fight we failed 3 times because the tank couldn't pick up all the adds, and they just trickled in to reach brann.

On the last fight, the tank bubbles and lets me die.

after finally finishing, i made sure the group was aware of my dissatisfaction.......

^^^^^

Call me an elitist too if you want, but you guys are just plain fail if you think the OP should deal with a group of idiots just because it would be a "nice thing to do". I can tell you without a doubt that im not sitting through another one.

I spend my time and money on this game to enjoy myself, so you can be damn sure I leave if the group is a failure. I guess a lot of people in this thread are kids that don't understand the concept of being an adult with real life commitments, I value the play time I have very highly and I'm sure as hell not wasting it on bads.