Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Priest Professions

Hey I was just looking for some advice. My holy priest currently has Enchanting/Alchemy both of which I already have on other characters. I'm looking to pick up tailoring on someone. I have a profession space on my alt but I was also thinking of dropping either Enchanting or Alch on my priest to pick it up. Any suggestions?

Deleted

Re: Priest Professions

Generally: JC > BS/Ench > rest. Engineering is the only exception, non-stat wise (for utility, rocket boots, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Icebear
    Generally: JC > BS/Ench > rest. Engineering is the only exception, non-stat wise (for utility, rocket boots, etc).
    Ignore this guy.

Tailoring is nice. Best cloak enchant for a healer, and the Lightweave Proc for casters in general is exceptionally good, considering all other professions. I'd suggest dropping Enchanting, as keeping Alchemy for the longer duration flasks is worth more in the long run, especially since Dust can be mailed (or even farmed in the new instances).
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Thank you i appreciate the response

I would drop Alchemy for tailoring, anything useful from alchemy can be mailed. and if you have a herbalist its is so easy to farm what you need no make 1 or 2 duration not that big a deal.
    Don't look at me like that! Your Imp stood in the fire!

All professions are good, you can pick what you like. (Yes, engineering is also good).

Think about the other peaks than +spellpower, when you pick one.

All professions are worth about the same: around 46 spelllpower or equivalent in different stats. It usually doesn't matter what profession you chose, they will all be worth equal itemization.

The most flexible - and profitable - profession is jewelcrafting. With it you can basically itemize for whatever you want to and make truckloads of money while standing still at the auction house. Someone nerf this profession already.

Enchanting is not very flexible, forcing you to chose between stats or spellpower. Then again, that's usually what you want. But up until 3.3, it was relatively easy to make money with this profession. After 3.3, the mats market kinda crashed, but people still buy enchant scrolls.

Alchemy is awesome if you are raiding. Really, the cost of flasks do add up.

Like all other professionbs, Inscription is worth the standard 46 spellpower equivalent. It also allows you to skip the sons of hodir repgrind, and allows you to easier use glyphs as consumables. It is also a very nice moneymaker.

Tailoring is potentially the best profession for a clothie. As a healer, it offers the only regen-on-back enchant available, and if you need regen, it will make a world of difference. The lightweave back enchant is also worth quite a lot more than 46 spellpower, but some randomness apply. On the downside, it's a PITA to make good money with tailoring - at best you'll be able to sell a leg enchant or two / week. Maybe larger servers have better markets for these.

The gathering professions are very limited though. Mining gives you stamina, which is mostly wasted on a priest. But it's good money, and I'd rather have a priest affording raid consumables than not. Skinning isn't awesome as a healer as you won't have particularly good killspeed, and critrate isn't that useful for us either, but I guess it works as shadow. Then again, skins are worthless, though 3.3 somewhat improved this. Herbalism is very wasted on a class able to heal already, but this too is good money.

The joker profession is Engineering. This profession is not worth the standard 46 spellpower. But the gadgets you gain are usually awesome situation savers. Just like Body and Soul, really: from a power perspective, there is no reason to specc it, but I wouldn't live without it for the life of me.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

My priest is Alchemy/Enchanting, and I'm pretty happy with it. If I had to drop one, it would be enchanting.

Honestly, out of all the professions, I love Alchemy. Especially on healers. when running instances, i chug Endless mana potions whenever it's up, and use Flask of the North for light instances, 2 elixirs for more intensive instance runs, and flasks for progression.

Right now I have 2 alchemists, and if i finish my rogue and mage, will have 2 more.

The joker profession is Engineering. This profession is not worth the standard 46 spellpower. But the gadgets you gain are usually awesome situation savers. Just like Body and Soul, really: from a power perspective, there is no reason to specc it, but I wouldn't live without it for the life of me.
    I run JC/Engineering.

They need to fins a better perk to the belt enchants. Bombs are more for pvp.

Depends on your other chars. If you have a lot of discoveries on this priest, then its better to drop the Alchemy of the other char. Enchanting is a pain to level, but Tailoring is easy. Tailoring also provides you with steady income. (I have 2 tailors because of this. Every 4 days, they provide the money I need for the flasks and the usual. I farm the mats for the clothes. I usually end up with a large extra cash, no daily quests, no other income.)
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."

If you're going purely from a +stat standpoint then Tailoring and JC are the 2 best professions. The lightweave proc is a 76 point stat increase, compaired to the 46 from other professions. JC is a minor upgrade from other porfessions as well offering the equivalant of 2 more sp (+48 stats) then everything else, tailoring aside.

If you're min/maxing then JC/Blacksmithing is the best option. The prismatic sockets offer the most flexability. JC only gems are more flexable the standard enchatns, and obviously weighted higher the standard epic gems.

If you're looking to make money that really all depends on what your server is lacking, and if you're looking to save money then Alch is an ok option, that is assuming you raid. TBH if you plan on raiding and you're guild is good enough that you don't wipe at all or at least not often you should end raids with more gold then your repair bill is. So going Alch isn't a really good option imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    SP is bad, but landing your Prayers (both with and without Serendipity, yes it's worth it to cast at zero stacks) faster is a net gain. Gemming yellow slots for SP/Haste generally isn't such a bad idea, when boosting solid SP (when you're not in need of the regen) only helps on "some" of your spells.
    lol?

15+ Year Old Account

There isn't really a best anymore. They all have perks. Even Engineering offers SP on cloak and 24 crit rating on boots.

This is an opinion thread, every post saying a definate is an opinion. In my opinion I would prefer Enchanting / Tailoring. Alchemy will save you money due to flask duration in raids, but that shouldn't be a concern to be honest.

I run with jewelcrafting for the 3 awesome gems, and inscription for the more than adequate shoulder enchant.

Also, these 2 combined with enchanting on my mage make the best moneymaking combination possible in my opinion.

Ok, you have to look at it like this...

Blacksmiths provides 2 extra gem sockets... You can use these for any gems, so you are not limited on your stat gain...

Jewelcrafts provides 3 epic gems... These are also not limited to a specific stats...

Enchanters are limited to 2 ring enchants of spell power only...

Inscriptioners are limited to 1 shoulder enchant... spell power / crit (i believe) only...

Tailors get the cloak enchant, return mana or extra damage/heal on nuke/heal (i believe)

Engineering is by far the best pvp profession with hand rockets, and the utility of them...

So, overall, I would say the best professions are JC/BS or JC/Tailoring...

Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    I run JC/Engineering.

They need to fins a better perk to the belt enchants. Bombs are more for pvp.
    Engineering always has been, and always will be a PvP profession...

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by SarahWalker
    Engineering always has been, and always will be a PvP profession...
    24 crit on boots and the speedy gloves tinker are best in stot enchants for pve...
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBucket
    Hey I was just looking for some advice. My holy priest currently has Enchanting/Alchemy both of which I already have on other characters. I'm looking to pick up tailoring on someone. I have a profession space on my alt but I was also thinking of dropping either Enchanting or Alch on my priest to pick it up. Any suggestions?
    i got jc and tail on my spriest. if u were going to drop 1 of ur profs my advice wud be to drop alchemy for tail if thats what u were thinking to change to. enchanting goes real nice with tailoring too

I have Alch and Ench on my priest.

Alch actually gives some decent flexibility, plus the bonus 47 spellpower from flasks (or flask of the north) is better then enchanting or BS. Alch lets you get additional bonuses from any flasks (including distilled wisdom), and they are much cheaper then regemming as JC for fights that need regen, or more mana, or whatever.

Tailoring + JC. Both are over budget, especially for healers. JC is a 4.3-5% boost over other professions, while Tailoring is a massive 90% over budget and Lightweave is still a large 60% over budget. Honestly, if you're a healer and not a tailor you're doing it wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Tailoring + JC. Both are over budget, especially for healers. JC is a 4.3-5% boost over other professions, while Tailoring is a massive 90% over budget and Lightweave is still a large 60% over budget. Honestly, if you're a healer and not a tailor you're doing it wrong...
    how is jc a boost over the other profs its actually the same as if u were to put ench instead of jc, there is no difference