Going to come back to WoW for Cata, going to roll a Rogue

Alright guys, I'm going to return to WoW for Cataclysm and I've decided to roll a new class, and I've chosen a Rogue.

Why?

- Looks like a fun class to play
    - Very good offense and defense
    - I've been purely tanking healing since vanilla, I want a damn break and dps
    - Decided to roll a Gnome rogue which will be my first alliance character. (go gnome or go home. 8) )

So obviously, I need to know the basics:

1. Should I always go for a slow main hand and a super fast offhand?
    2. Is there anything wrong with mixing weapons? (axe main hand, dagger offhand for example)
    3. Is vanish the 'drop threat' ability?
    4. Is combat still the best spec to level as?
    5. Could someone lay out a basic tree that's decent for leveling?
    6. Now what worries me about rogues is losing abilities. Say if I choose to use swords instead of daggers, I'll lose backstab which I figure is a great burst ability. Is there any reason to use weapons other than daggers?
    7. For the early levels what is my 'rotation'? Sinister strike till 5 combo points then eviscerate?
    8. When obtaining gear, just go for +agil and +ap correct?
    9. Anything else I should know about the class in general? Things to watch out for, things I should know?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Re: Going to come back to WoW for Cata, going to roll a Rogue

Dont roll gnome melee, no one will respect you.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Deleted

Please don't roll a gnome. They are aesthetically displeasing, they have high pitched and incredibly irritating voices and you'll easily grow bored of having to jump to be at the same eye level as another player.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykzor
    I'll earn their respect.

Plus, nothing worse then getting ganked by a gnome rogue with that stupid laugh that they do. I've fallen many times to gnome rogues and that laugh....that damn laugh just puts salt on the wound.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by SurePlay
    I havnt played my rogue since level 70, it was an alt i rolled but i can tell you a few things from my experience -

Rogues are awesome - once you hit max level
    Super boring class to level - the fun doesnt start till end game really

Gnome Rogues are possibly the most fun, they are so small and they look cool. Little male gnome rogues look so sneaky, and i know horde hate gnomes, which makes it all the more satisfying when you gank people.

As for your questions - go to elitist jerks and read up there imo if you want to min/max your toon.

I too am on a break from WoW atm, simply dont like WotLK really, but i will be back for Cataclysm where i will roll an elemental goblin. I am going to faction change my gnome rogue to goblin rogue too and use it as an alt.

Good choice of char, but just remember that levelling a rogue is the most boring class to level (at least it was for me anyway), but once you hit max level it all becomes very fun indeed
    Actually I love them.... well, I love the sound they make when my Tauren Warrior stands on them. It's a soft popping sound. Kind of like butting a big grape in your mouth and biting down hard.
    Skullmaster - Slathe - Duat - Tamriel

Absolutely everything happens for a reason - Omnia Causa Fiunt.

Deleted

Gnome or Dwarf is the way to go on the Alliance side! I have a Dwarf rogue and i love it, i usually go with 4 Gnomes rogue to Orgrimmar and gank

While we have a guy on vent, to tell us about the cries in /1 /2 /3. Cows and orcs dont like to get pwned by Gnomes and Dwarves :P

Quote Originally Posted by SurePlay
    I havnt played my rogue since level 70, it was an alt i rolled but i can tell you a few things from my experience -

Rogues are awesome - once you hit max level
    Super boring class to level - the fun doesnt start till end game really

Gnome Rogues are possibly the most fun, they are so small and they look cool. Little male gnome rogues look so sneaky, and i know horde hate gnomes, which makes it all the more satisfying when you gank people.

As for your questions - go to elitist jerks and read up there imo if you want to min/max your toon.

I too am on a break from WoW atm, simply dont like WotLK really, but i will be back for Cataclysm where i will roll an elemental goblin. I am going to faction change my gnome rogue to goblin rogue too and use it as an alt.

Good choice of char, but just remember that levelling a rogue is the most boring class to level (at least it was for me anyway), but once you hit max level it all becomes very fun indeed
    I'd say that goes for all classes, I wouldn't say there's any classes that are fun leveling, boring at end game..
    Zarthyr, arcane mage in Sylvanas. http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sylvanas&n=Zarthyr

Quote Originally Posted by MrSimtang
    1. Should I always go for a slow main hand and a super fast offhand?
    2. Is there anything wrong with mixing weapons? (axe main hand, dagger offhand for example)
    3. Is vanish the 'drop threat' ability?
    4. Is combat still the best spec to level as?
    5. Could someone lay out a basic tree that's decent for leveling?
    6. Now what worries me about rogues is losing abilities. Say if I choose to use swords instead of daggers, I'll lose backstab which I figure is a great burst ability. Is there any reason to use weapons other than daggers?
    7. For the early levels what is my 'rotation'? Sinister strike till 5 combo points then eviscerate?
    8. When obtaining gear, just go for +agil and +ap correct?
    9. Anything else I should know about the class in general? Things to watch out for, things I should know?
    1. With 3.3 here, your MH weapon speed doesn't matter too much if you're Mutilate. If you're Combat, yes, always always always.

2. Well, if you're Mutilate, you always want daggers. If you're Combat, the answer is always "spreadsheet it". Generally you want to stick with your weapon specialization, but if you get a HUGE UPGRADE that's an Axe in your MH and a HUGE UPGRADE that's a dagger in your OH, yes, it's probably better to use those upgrades.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

5. There's no real "right way" to do this, but I'd probably go with something like this. Get whatever talents you like best though.

6. I know that train of thought is tempting, but don't think of it like that. That's like thinking you "lose" Fireball when you respec from Fire to Frost (not a practical example anymore, I know, but you get the picture). Different specs simply use different abilities. The best combo point builder as Assassination is Mutilate, and for Combat, it's Sinister Strike. That's all you use for building Combo Points.

7. Yes, but don't feel like you have to. Right before the mob dies, try to cram your Eviscerate in, or the combo points are wasted.

8. No. Not at all. Agility and AP are on everything, and there's a TON of stats Rogues use. We like Hit, Expertise, Crit, armor pen, and haste, as well.

9. I'd ignore the people who say levelling a Rogue is boring. I enjoyed it, at least.

Excellent. Thanks for your post Tokzic. Some good advice there.

Man, I'm excited about starting a rogue. I've always been prot on my warrior and always been resto on my druid, for the first time I wanna blow things up without being asked to tank or heal.

Be prepared to take 30 to 40 times longer to find a group, compared to when you are on your tanking and healing toons.

I did the same thing with WOTLK, put away my healers and tanks to roll a pure dps rogue, and it didnt work out well. Theyre fucking pariahs. Everyone hates them because they were ganked by them the whole time leveling, most servers (at least pre wotlk, before DKs took over that spot) are 50% rogues, so you have a lot of people to compete against. Also, most of those rogues are terribad 13 year old boys, so people just have no respect at all for pve rogues.

Also, since they scale so well in larger group, rogues become almost ineffectual in 5man group without all the buffs. Also they bring no buffs to the table. They scale incredibly well at the end of the expansion, but because of that, they are forced to be super shitty at the start of the expansion to keep them from being too powerfull.

If you get lucky enough to find a group that needs dps for a 5man, why bring a subpar rogue that only gets good near the end of the expansion when it can get some godly weapons, when they can bring a mage that brings food, a shaman with totems, a pally with blessings, a lock with stones, etc, especially when at the start of an expansion, rogues will do the least dps of any dps class except maybe being tied with fury warriors.

Deleted

Rogues are fun to play, but leveling is hard, also you must have patience, because you will die a lot, in raid, rogues die a lot too, but rogues are a lot of fun because they do huge damage and in pvp you own ( if you got skill ofc ).

And dont go p-servers, i hate those guys who make vids: Look at me: rogue is easy pvp!!! ( NOT ) and they 1 shot every1 with ambush even prot warrs. :O

Quote Originally Posted by MrSimtang
    1. If you can.
    2. Not really.
    3. 100%, yes.
    4. Pretty much, unless you wanna pvp while levelling.
    5. I'm this far in right now: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#fZMtAb0cxoru0x
    6. Combat is based on Sinister Strike, which is weapon dmg based, so slow hits harder.
    7. Thats what I do...not always 5 though,
    8. Hit/expertise if you can find it at low levels.
    9. Don't overaggro, cooldown liberally. Oh! And level in the Draenei or Blood Elf areas. Their questing is much better than elsewhere and will make the worst 20 levels relatively painless.

15+ Year Old Account

Human Rogue the way to go, 10% rep, + 2x 10% increase XP (hairloom) .. u can always pay racial change <3

I will do so
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

15+ Year Old Account

Roll dwarf
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.

Douglas Adams

[me=Fugg]the Alliance![/me] Roll a Tauren Paladin! /moo

http://aesyr.com/videos/kill-on-sight.html

My favourite (and most hated) thing about the rogue is sap, i used to really hate it when i was grinding herbs/ore in WG on my DK tank. All of a sudden im sapped, i wait it out and get resapped, i get a funny emote "insertrandomname is rolling on the floor laughing at you", get resapped a 3rd time before i can see a bit in the distance how the rogue breaks stealth and fly off.

Now i have my very own rogue and i cant say how much i enjoy doing this to others because i know how frustrated i was when it happened to me, i wont even kill them if they're clothies, just sap them and leave them be, they get nervous and start spamming aoe to find me even though im sitting well away from them and wait until they cool down a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatchris
    also, we're not glass cannons anymore, we haven't been for ages. either that or everyone is a cannon, and some are plate cannons.