Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Paladin tanking in ICC

With my current gear would i be able to tank ICC?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ithos&n=Saidus

Re: Paladin tanking in ICC

Yes, you'll be fine.

yes

any other answers?

Quote Originally Posted by saidus
    any other answers?
    Sure:

You can tank it

any other answers?
    Get rid of the brewfest stamina trinket, you don't need 2 stm trinkets, put in anything else for threat or mitigation, if you have a darkmoon card greatness that would be nice. Fevor of the Frostborne or the Ony trinket would be fine too maybe even better as your dodge could be a bit higher but dont gem or enchant for dodge. Recondisder the +20 hit gem in your chest think...other than that...

you should be fine

get the tank legs from ToC if you're not going to get the Pillar's of Might anytine soon...Feverish Dedication is what they are called...

Quote Originally Posted by markinthedark
    Get rid of the brewfest stamina trinket, you don't need 2 stm trinkets, put in anything else for threat or mitigation, if you have a darkmoon card greatness that would be nice. Fevor of the Frostborne or the Ony trinket would be fine too maybe even better as your dodge could be a bit higher but dont gem or enchant for dodge. Recondisder the +20 hit gem in your chest think...other than that...

you should be fine

get the tank legs from ToC if you're not going to get the Pillar's of Might anytine soon...Feverish Dedication is what they are called...
    i have ony trinket... but why would i want to remove hit, im already terribly under hit cap?

you can tank it fine, i healed it with a tank in full heroic/emblem gear. dont listen to the guy right here v

you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Intoeternity
    you can tank it fine, i healed it with a tank in full heroic/emblem gear. dont listen to the guy right here v
    If you're going to tell him not to listen to me you should also consider giving him reasons why I am wrong.

i have ony trinket... but why would i want to remove hit, im already terribly under hit cap?

Hit is great and all but you'll find a lot of pally tanks right now are under the hit cap. 2% more avoidance will be better for you than a bit more hit at this point. just my opinion of course

Anyone else have thoughts?

god no, you need at least 45k unbuffed to tank ICC

You might want 120% dodge.

anything else?

10+ Year Old Account

anything else
    no

Hit is great and all but you'll find a lot of pally tanks right now are under the hit cap. 2% more avoidance will be better for you than a bit more hit at this point. just my opinion of course
    On the other hand doing Saurfang with too little hit can be disastrous depending on the tanks, healers, and who's got the Mark of the Fallen Champion. Missing more than one taunt in a row is *not* fun. If possible I'd scrap hit for everything aside from bosses where you have to taunt-swap, where it does come in quite handy (Gormok in ToGC-10 is another nice example)

Yes you can tank ICC but if the raid leader knows anything about tanks, he would laugh at you and tell you to gtfo. Why?

You are WAY over the Def cap, but you still have def gems. Your cloak enchant is a def enchant. Your shield enchant is a def enchant. I see no Agi+stam or Dodge+stam gems in your gemming, which would be much better at proccing your stat bonuses than the damn def gems.

Shouldn't it be common sense?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aman%27Thul&n=Vuldin

Quote Originally Posted by laur0511
    cummunism is an utopia that cannot be applied to real life. fortunately, video games aren't real life; therefore it can be applied there, making things more fair.

Quote Originally Posted by dogpie
    Yes you can tank ICC but if the raid leader knows anything about tanks, he would laugh at you and tell you to gtfo. Why?

You are WAY over the Def cap, but you still have def gems. Your cloak enchant is a def enchant. Your shield enchant is a def enchant. I see no Agi+stam or Dodge+stam gems in your gemming, which would be much better at proccing your stat bonuses than the damn def gems.

Shouldn't it be common sense?
    Def is better than Dodge for Avoidance :

Quote Originally Posted by Inkompetent
    On the other hand doing Saurfang with too little hit can be disastrous depending on the tanks, healers, and who's got the Mark of the Fallen Champion. Missing more than one taunt in a row is *not* fun. If possible I'd scrap hit for everything aside from bosses where you have to taunt-swap, where it does come in quite handy (Gormok in ToGC-10 is another nice example)
    Thats a valid point, and got me thinking about his glyph's and spec, the 2 points in SotP are kinda a waste unless you're really feeling that you're threat capping the raids dps. I'd move them over to JotJ personally. (if you are threat capping you're dps I would compeletly redo your spec as you're missing a couple of good threat talents)

Also using glyph of Spirtual Attunement is really not worth anything, its 2% more of the 2% mana you're getting back not 4% total. If missing a taunt is a big concern switch to glyph of Righteous Defense as it works on Hand of Reckoning as well...

Why are You asking that if You already have a chest from icc ? -.-
    But on topic: Your avoidance is a BIT low, but You WILL be fine.

your gears more than capable..

your spec sucks

you've skipped 2 of your most important damage reduction skills (judgement of the just and vindication), these are really not optional unless you have someone providing these debuffs in 100% of the raids you run, even then its safer to take them in case that person dies or DCs.

1 in conviction and 3/3 in crusade is a much higher threat build, take all points out of SotP, you only need 1/2 in SA and reckoning is a very poor threat talent.

use divine plea glyph, SoV glyph, and either the salv or righteous defense glyph, this will boost your threat a fair bit as the SoV glyph is vastly superior to the judgment glyph for threat. Personally i prefer the salv glyph as the extra damage reduction CD is awesome and the threat loss is not an issue in most fights.

Missing taunts is kind of a non issue really. You have 3 effective ways to taunt in an encounter like deathbringer: Righeous Defense, Hand of Reckoning and BoPing the MT. The last resort is guaranteed to work as long as your #2 on threat and the chances of the first 2 options both failing is rather slim. I have 108 hit so with a worst case group makeup my chance to miss a taunt is 4.71%, my chance of missing both taunts in a row is 0.22%, non zero but unlikely, i've seen it occur only once after months of tanking gormack and now deathbringer.

on the gear front, swap to the agility enchant on your cloak, the hit gem in your chest is a meh choice, and on the gloves i would change to the agility enchant, the stam to avoidance trade off is pretty bad there (20 agi vs 18 stam) if you want to stack stam swapping the shield enchant to the BC era stam enchant and not gemming for the socket bonus in your gloves are cheaper places to get stam.

as to the guy telling you to lose the brewfest trink, if you swapped out to the ony trink (best avoidance trink) you will lose ~2040 buffed HP and gain ~2-2.33% avoidance depending on where you are on the DR curves. Now say we're tanking marrowgar and your one hit from dying, using that trinket has given you an additional 2.33% chance of avoiding that killing blow, pretty bad deal IMO. The extra stam is a 100% guaranteed safety net. Will 2040hp allow you to live? depends on your current health level when that hit comes, seeing as marrowgar melee swings hit me for around 9k and saberlashs for around 7k that 2k has a reasonable chance of being significant, certainly more than 2.33%.

On marrowgar stack EH, the danger in this fight occurs on the p2 to p1 transition where your OT may be a couple seconds late and the group has a habit of getting spread out. Your goal is to be able to take as many saberlashs/melee hits without healing as you can to give your OT and healers time to get into proper position.

On deathwhisper you still want to stack stam, the tank killer in deathwhisper is the deranged fanatic and his dangerous nuking abilities are largely shadow damage. Also stam is the only defense against someone missing an interrupt in phase 2 and taking a frost bolt to the face. (remember it hits for 40-43k if it gets through)

On battleship if your tanking the enemy captain, i personally stack EH still, you could argue that with higher avoidances you can slow his buff generation, and i can argue that will higher EH i can tank more stacks. I don't think there is enough data available to have any definitive answer here, if your rocket pack kiting him, it doesn't matter.

On deathbringer i switch out to avoidance gear, dual avoidance trinks, replace +armor items with avoidance items, but not for the sake of living since he hits like a pansy,its to limit his BP production as much as possible.