Frost DW Tanking - Spec/Gem Assistance

Title's pretty self explanatory. I've largely finished my DPS gear (Except a piece or two) and have been using my truimphs to fund my tank OS.

In my guild, we already have a blood DK tank. I decided to try a different route, and want to try using DW frost tanking for raids/heroics (Which would be useful in many cases, considering the amount of encounters that require add control).

Now, my questions are these: What is a good frost DW spec? And what would I gem? Enchants are fairly straight forward, but I'm not really sure about gems.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...timeak&group=1

This is the spec I have for now. I figured that the Improved Icy Talons would help with melee DPS in the group, but also my own threat generation (More DPS = more threat right? :P).

Anyway, I'm open to constructive criticism. I'm well aware that my spec might not be the best, so people shouldn't have to point it out. Recommending improvements are, of course, welcome.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Frost DW Tanking - Spec/Gem Assistance

Drop Imp. Icy talons & Icy talons, get Bladed Armor instead - it's a bigger TPS increase. In heroics, missing IIT won't make a difference, and in raids, there's likely a shaman to provide the raid with WF, imo. You'll also want Black Ice, and drop Virulence.

Resulting in something like this: http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000

As for glyphs: I'd drop UA, and get Icy Touch or Frost Strike. While the UA glyph isn't too bad, it isn't terribly good, either. IT & FS are better, unless you have survival issues (which you shouldn't have, really :P).

Gems: stamina. exp/sta, hit/sta, def/sta are viable candidates aswell, if you're missing exp/hit/def, respectively.

8% hit, 32 Exp, Gem Stam, Activate your Meta Gem.... Thats about it. Ohh and 2 SLOW weapons. Like 2.6.

I am Conq Geared atm and ToC25 geared Blood DKs have a hard time staying ahead on threat. I dont use my Rime procs so I dont pull aggro off of them.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

I've done a lot of work to come off blood and onto DW and here is my advice:

Dont forget D&D, you always need this if you are going to hold AE threat from some 5300 gearscore high end DPS. I run HB, RS and D&D glyphs in this configuration. (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...pany+of+Heroes). For AE fights you D&D and this should gather everyone, then drop your HB & BB, you can tap for another BB here if you need to but I have my tap bound to my UBA and typically hang onto it. Next rotation is just OB/BB and HB when it free procs.

For single target I need epidemic and the two diseases to help me hold threat from some of the classes with no aggro dump. It seems completely asinine (and it is, to me it warrants two specs but I have room for only one) but this setup holds the most threat. I am not generating a ton of runic power, so I am thinking of dumping epidemic for 3/3 scent of blood but it would really hurt my single target rotation so I am very hesitant to do this.

You don't NEED Morbidity to make this work, but if you don't have it your ability to sustain AOE threat in long fights with lots of adds coming in is hurt so bad that you feel as though you have no control (you dont!)

Quote Originally Posted by hatchetman240
    I've done a lot of work to come off blood and onto DW and here is my advice:

Dont forget D&D, you always need this if you are going to hold AE threat from some 5300 gearscore high end DPS. I run HB, RS and D&D glyphs in this configuration. (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...pany+of+Heroes). For AE fights you D&D and this should gather everyone, then drop your HB & BB, you can tap for another BB here if you need to but I have my tap bound to my UBA and typically hang onto it. Next rotation is just OB/BB and HB when it free procs.

For single target I need epidemic and the two diseases to help me hold threat from some of the classes with no aggro dump. It seems completely asinine (and it is, to me it warrants two specs but I have room for only one) but this setup holds the most threat. I am not generating a ton of runic power, so I am thinking of dumping epidemic for 3/3 scent of blood but it would really hurt my single target rotation so I am very hesitant to do this.

You don't NEED Morbidity to make this work, but if you don't have it your ability to sustain AOE threat in long fights with lots of adds coming in is hurt so bad that you feel as though you have no control (you dont!)
    Actually for AOE tanking you should do the following
    DnD, IT, PS, Pest (all runes are on CD now but all diseases are on all mobs), Tap, BB, HB, OB (hopefully this procs Rime, if so Use HB next), BB, HB, PS, Pest, BB
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Quote Originally Posted by MilitantCasual
    That works if you can get that rotation in. Most trash pulls are over too quick for that. In Heroics I'll DnD -> (DG the caster) -> HB -> IT -> Pest Or... DnD -> (DG the caster) -> IT -> Pest -> HB, depends on if I've got AoE DPS that goes all out from the get-go.

Unless you're insanely miss-matched to your DPS you don't need that 2nd disease for AoE Threat.
    4.7k GS against a 5.5k GS ret paladin or mage..... yeah that second disease helps
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

I am hoping to get some advise in addition here, below is my armory and I am also trying to pick up DW Tanking, though I am generally DPS so I dont have a different tanking spec that I am coming from (other then feral druid).

This is my armory with my current gear and spec http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...an&n=ntheother

Generally my rotation AE is DnD, HB, BB, OB, OB, BB, BB using all rime procs. If I have KM up at times I will swap a OB to HB if I think I need a bit more AE threat. Single target I use more or less my old DPS rotations IT, PS, OB, BS, BS, OB, OB, OB with the standard runic power dumps and rime procs. Generally threat doesn't seem to be an issue and I generally run around 2500 - 3000 DPS as the tank but I was asked by a healer if I was def capped so I assume I am tanking a bit more dmg then they are use to.

Any advise would be very welcome. I know I am low on +hit and very low on expertise. Would it be better to swap out some of my gems for sta/exp or are my avoidance gems sufficient? In terms of gear, the legs will be replaced either tomorrow or the next day with T9 and the neck will also be replaced very shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitantCasual
    That works if you can get that rotation in. Most trash pulls are over too quick for that. In Heroics I'll DnD -> (DG the caster) -> HB -> IT -> Pest Or... DnD -> (DG the caster) -> IT -> Pest -> HB, depends on if I've got AoE DPS that goes all out from the get-go.

Unless you're insanely miss-matched to your DPS you don't need that 2nd disease for AoE Threat.
    Personally I go with HB -> DND -> BB, throw rune strikes on nuke target(s) if someone is single nuking and when my runes are back up I either throw 2x BB or PS+PT and HB whenever it's up. I prefer to get 2 diseases up before going crazy with OB. Glyph of HB rocks, DnD does so much more dmg when the targets are afflicted with FF and so does BB.