Poll: Have you ever been hacked

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Have you ever been hacked?

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pure
    I have an authenticator but I only got it so I could get a corehound pup! Never had anything hacked.

Oh and had to quote this..
    I love that people think "getting hacked" = "you're a retard".
    How do you get hacked?

Viruses
    Phishing sites
    Bullshit e-mails

All of which are avoided if you're not a retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx
    How do you get hacked?

Viruses
    Phishing sites
    Bullshit e-mails

All of which are avoided if you're not a retarded.
    Or you have an antivirus application that misses a new trojan - none of them have 100% detection rates. That doesn't make someone retarded - AV is not 100% accurate and despite me taking computer security very seriously it still happened to me. I used to share your viewpoint, too, which makes it all the more interesting.

Of course, it's easy to dismiss someone's intelligence on the internet so: in b4 "lol u retarted".

Quote Originally Posted by Diseous
    No, and have no authenticator. I have one, it's just not attached as I am not a retard.
    you used the word "not" by mistake, yes?

No, and have no authenticator. I have one, it's just not attached as I am not a retard.
    Quoting cause it feels trendy.
    Gear Score is the Jonas Brothers of World of Warcraft

Quoting again because all the cool kids are doing it!

You don't have to be retarded to get hacked. It's just less likely to happen if you're smart. However, all it takes is someone smarter than you and BAM your account is compromised... and judging by the level of smarts in your post, I'd attach that Authenticator ASAP if I were you!

To all the people quoting me because you cant make sense of my post...

Most of you are people that think computers will get a virus all by itself if you leave it on long enough.

Above statement = retard
    Knowing how to protect yourself against unwarranted virus', spam, and keyloggers =/= retard

Quote Originally Posted by Fergand
    and judging by the level of morons on this website, I'd attach that Authenticator ASAP if I were you!
    Fixed

btw, I just attached my authenticator to my account now that everyone knows I dont have one...

/paranoid

To all the people quoting me because you cant make sense of my post...

Most of you are people that think computers will get a virus all by itself if you leave it on long enough.

Above statement = retard
    Knowing how to protect yourself against unwarranted virus', spam, and keyloggers =/= retard
    the problem is, there is no way to ensure 100% that your information will not be compromised. People are trying to find ways to 'hack' as many accounts as they can, and all it takes is once for your information to be compromised. Sure, knowing how to protect yourself against mal-ware is a good thing, but depending on that to be completely secure is foolish.

All the protection against virus', spam, key-loggers, spy-ware, Trojans, etc in the world still won't give you an impenetrable fortress of a computer. This is why, for example, the US Pentagon's internal databases are in no way connected to any computer that has access to the outside world.

I'm not saying that people are going to be using the most advanced hacking tactics in the world to try to get your account information, but as long as it is profitable, there will be people going out of their way to get as many accounts as they can.

EDIT: And yes, if your computer is just sitting there doing nothing, you're not going to get a virus... but it does appear that you do in fact use your computer and do things online... EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF SOFTWARE HAS SECURITY FLAWS, caps to give emphasis, there are people who know them and take advantage of them, and sometimes there is little to nothing you can do about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Fergand
    the problem is, there is no way to ensure 100% that your information will not be compromised. People are trying to find ways to 'hack' as many accounts as they can, and all it takes is once for your information to be compromised. Sure, knowing how to protect yourself against mal-ware is a good thing, but depending on that to be completely secure is foolish.

All the protection against virus', spam, key-loggers, spy-ware, Trojans, etc in the world still won't give you an impenetrable fortress of a computer. This is why, for example, the US Pentagon's internal databases are in no way connected to any computer that has access to the outside world.

I'm not saying that people are going to be using the most advanced hacking tactics in the world to try to get your account information, but as long as it is profitable, there will be people going out of their way to get as many accounts as they can.

EDIT: And yes, if your computer is just sitting there doing nothing, you're not going to get a virus... but it does appear that you do in fact use your computer and do things online... EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF SOFTWARE HAS SECURITY FLAWS, caps to give emphasis, there are people who know them and take advantage of them, and sometimes there is little to nothing you can do about it...

At the school that I help manage, there are quite a few people that get virus' and say "I dont know what happened, it just popped up on my screen". It's my job to secure my users computers, and I see a lot more retards that I do intelligent users. Keeping your computer safe is fairly easy, if you have a bachelors degree in IT.

I know you're right, which is why I added my authenticator. Unlike many people here, I admit when I'm wrong.

I've been playing this game for five years now, and I got hacked about two months ago for the first time. I don't go to malicious sites, I actually go to zero websites on my desktop, which is what I play wow on. Somehow a trojan or something ended up on my computer. I was playing for a little while around 6-8 or something, go out to a party and get pretty drunk. I come back, I'm in stormpeaks which is really weird, log on, all my gear is gone. I still havent gotten everything back. I don't really care since I'm basically done with wow. Not enough time for it, and you just end up getting fucked by some asshole with no real job.

At the school that I help manage, there are quite a few people that get virus' and say "I dont know what happened, it just popped up on my screen". It's my job to secure my users computers, and I see a lot more retards that I do intelligent users. Keeping your computer safe is fairly easy, if you have a bachelors degree in IT.

I know you're right, which is why I added my authenticator. Unlike many people here, I admit when I'm wrong.
    I'll admit I thought you to be one of those idiots who you were referencing here. Bit of an asshole mistake on my part... =(

There are a lot of people who will try to convince others that they are idiots for getting an Authenticator, and that only retards get their accounts compromised. I tend to get a little pissed off at people like that as they spread false information and mislead others.

I know it's mostly idiots who lose their accounts from doing dumb things, and there are many things you can do to protect your information, but some things can be out of your control, especially if you're not the only person who uses the computer you're using.

had a keylogger once wich hacked me -.- blizz fixed it all tho
    banned 5 times and still counting

Got compromised once. Then again, but only 'cause I set password back to what it was the first time :-X

Then I stopped buying gold and powerleveling services. Never got compromised again.
    90% of account compromises comes from that.

(87% of internet statistics are made up on the spot)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmays
    I've been playing this game for five years now, and I got hacked about two months ago for the first time. I don't go to malicious sites, I actually go to zero websites on my desktop, which is what I play wow on. Somehow a trojan or something ended up on my computer. I was playing for a little while around 6-8 or something, go out to a party and get pretty drunk. I come back, I'm in stormpeaks which is really weird, log on, all my gear is gone. I still havent gotten everything back. I don't really care since I'm basically done with wow. Not enough time for it, and you just end up getting fucked by some asshole with no real job.
    Of course. Nobody ever does anything wrong ever. It's not a personal fault: it has to be someone else!

Nobody here has ever been hacked. Everyone was stupid and got keylogged.

I do enjoy the part about every person that designs keyloggers and password phishing having to be unemployed, stupid, and just generally a nuisance. Honestly, if I had the ability to do things like that, I'd do it out of entertainment. Getting reactions like these out of the downsie sheep, like you, are priceless.

I learnt the hard way not to trust those you think are trustworthy. During the time Classic and BC came out, I was shifting country and couldn't play but at that time had been an officer in a 40 man raiding guild and had no compunctions giving my healing characters info to another officer if they needed it.

During this time, while my account was inactive I noticed my account had been reactivated when BC came out and they attempted to change my pw (well, they did). Anyway, when I finally had a new computer and internet in my new home, I had enough sense to check secret questions etc and "stole" my own account back.

Came back to find my account now had BC attached to it, both my 60s lvled to 70 and with instance and quest blues. So they had in effect done all the work for me. Needless to say I had no issues with stealing it back but it did teach me one valuable lesson.

Don't trust anyone in game, not even fellow officers with your information. If nothing else they may have compromises on their own systems. Theres even less reason to do it now that raids aren't 40 man.

Not Hacked, and don't even have an authenticator... Blizz doesn't ship to Malta....