Is PvP fun anymore?

I have been PvPing since Classic, and always been a BG PvPer, I loved the epicness that BG's offered.

As of Burning Crusade, Arenas were introduced, and I have never been a fan of them, just doing my 10 games felt like a job. Also, all PvP seemed to revolve around Arena. Classes got ever more complex to keep them balanced in Arena (I don't think I can ever recall classes ever being Balanced), and BG's just got the scraps from Arena.

When WOTLK hit, all my love for BG PvP had vanished, every PvPer was whatever was OP Class was atm, and awesome Battlegrounds like AV were "Balanced" so much so, that they were turned into a race to kill the other factions Boss. You are almost forced to go into Arenas now.

So, I ask you, do you find PvP fun anymore? Why do you, or don't you like it.

Re: Is PvP fun anymore?

I dont like arenas, never did, never will. i also enjoyed BG's alot. working as a team to win the battle was epic especially AV in BC as you mentioned, all it is these days is just rush to the faction leaders almost a 40v40 in the field of strife sometimes >.> i miss the tactical side of BG's and the feeling when you won one and it felt well deserved.
    Classic WoW.

15+ Year Old Account

Arena: 7/10
    BG: 9/10

I find both fun, but the best part of PvP has been totally left out since arena's got launched, which is sad.
    Really hoping for rated BG's to be both as rewarding and skillrequired as Arena's are, but that probably won't ever happen.

2s is fun, 3s was fun until our warlock died IRL basically. Um battlegrounds not so much. I know the point of a bg is to work as a team but why do alliance always seem like they have 30000 more people. If i sap and open on 2 people ALMOST get a kill on one of them, out of nowhere the fucking circle jerk squad comes up WHOOPS FULL HEAL. Fuck those guys lol.

i used to play alot of pvp, and i must say i mainly liked bg's, done a bit of arena aswell but not too much. in wotlk i tried some bg's but the queues on my new server are way too long, haven't bothered with arena at 80

BG's can be fun if you have a group of friends to run around with. Otherwise they are full of mentally challenged DK's calling everyone else bad in chat. The rating system should bring them back to life and make things much more interesting.

As for arenas, I personally find them too frustrating. Certain comps dominate others entirely too easily imo.

PvP isnt what it used to be. I mean the epicness of Vanilla came in a few forms:

1) It was new, I mean the game was new and the concepts were outstanding.
    2) Experience/Rep, you could get experience from turning in marks for xp and rep, I levelled within a guild on Balnazzar doing nothing but pvp premades, it was awesome.
    3) Premades, if you took the time to assemble a group you should be able to steam roll the other poor group for their lack of coordination, in BC they made it so you couldnt be a part of premades without really long queues. This hurt bgs as it slowed down the average honor you could farm while bg'ing and your motivation for doing so. WHy premade when you can pug and get more honor by losing faster???
    4) The old rating system. It was epically brutal, but goddammit if you didnt feel like you accomplished something once you ranked up. I had a rank 10 character and I practically sold my soul for it but hey I could hold my head high.

Now there are more, lots more that hurt bgs overall nowadays, but with the addition of arenas (particularly as an e-sport) the focus has shifted away from the epic battles and summoning of elites in AV to i need 15k honor asap so lets get a time limit on how long you can be "stuck" in a bg. I mean even reducing the AB resources from 2000 to 1600 you really do a disservice to the forgiveness of mistakes (like lack of a full team or bad initial coordination) by saying oh well lets just lose this one and try to do better next time. To the OP yeah bgs have fell by the wayside to arena but arena is fun in its own right. I hope rated bgs will bring back more incentive to bg and just not farm x honor asap.

TLDR: Vanilla pvp was better, arenas changed the epic feeling of large scale pvp to smaller less epic arenas, death of premades and addition of honor as currency gets all the newbs to engage in pointless frustrating bgs.

I think Blizz made a few mistakes in WotLK in regards to PvP.

First, in TBC you could get maximum or near to max resilience with S1 gear. It did not increase quite a bit like it does now so we all were more equal when we are talking about soaking damage. Nowadays we improve gear and hit for more and get hit for less. Every new tier has a much larger impact than it used to be.

Second, DPS is just waaaaay overboard in this expansion. I mean, they have nerfed burst damage from all classes in some way but you still can die without being able to retaliate. Prior to the expansion the only class that could kill you controlling you all along was a chain-fearing Warlock. Now an Arcane Mage, a good Rogue, a Destro Lock are great examples of classes/specs that can obliterate you in such a short time that it is not even funny.

Third, the new battlegrounds all had some sort of gimmick added to them. I truly do not like that and the only one I enjoyed is not an actual BG, was Wintergrasp, which is not very 'playable' because of the never-ending lag issues. Blizzard forgot to make AV NPCs stronger, for instance. NPCs were way more annoying before.

Fourth, armour is a joke nowadays. Rogues go beyond physical damage, Paladins do Holy damage, Druids have Bleeds, DKs have Shadow and Frost. Armour is constantly bypassed by elemental stuff. It is like kill first or die, which is kind of lame. On the other hand, if a melee or a Hunter catches a Cloth user off-guard, unless it is a good Frost Mage, it is game over. Warrios can Bladestorm a Warlock to the moon and back. Too much damage, too little defence.

I will not comment on Arenas. I do not like them, I think they hurt the game a lot and Blizz has already stated that it was a mistake.

Finally, Blizzard should take a look at a good bracket they have, which is the 50s bracket. Damage is good but not sky-high, classes have strengths and weaknesses against other classes/specs and it is nice. Even though one spec may seem more appropriate to destroy another, in this bracket a player have a much better chance at winning based on skill. Even DKs having great equipment and imbalanced skills in this bracket it is still very playable and enjoyable, a lot more so than 80s matches.

It is fun, but not so fun as it used to be or as fun as it is in the 30s to 60 brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Niter
    I think Blizz made a few mistakes in WotLK in regards to PvP.

First, in TBC you could get maximum or near to max resilience with S1 gear. It did not increase quite a bit like it does now so we all were more equal when we are talking about soaking damage. Nowadays we improve gear and hit for more and get hit for less. Every new tier has a much larger impact than it used to be.

Second, DPS is just waaaaay overboard in this expansion. I mean, they have nerfed burst damage from all classes in some way but you still can die without being able to retaliate. Prior to the expansion the only class that could kill you controlling you all along was a chain-fearing Warlock. Now an Arcane Mage, a good Rogue, a Destro Lock are great examples of classes/specs that can obliterate you in such a short time that it is not even funny.

Third, the new battlegrounds all had some sort of gimmick added to them. I truly do not like that and the only one I enjoyed is not an actual BG, was Wintergrasp, which is not very 'playable' because of the never-ending lag issues. Blizzard forgot to make AV NPCs stronger, for instance. NPCs were way more annoying before.

Fourth, armour is a joke nowadays. Rogues go beyond physical damage, Paladins do Holy damage, Druids have Bleeds, DKs have Shadow and Frost. Armour is constantly bypassed by elemental stuff. It is like kill first or die, which is kind of lame. On the other hand, if a melee or a Hunter catches a Cloth user off-guard, unless it is a good Frost Mage, it is game over. Warrios can Bladestorm a Warlock to the moon and back. Too much damage, too little defence.

I will not comment on Arenas. I do not like them, I think they hurt the game a lot and Blizz has already stated that it was a mistake.

Finally, Blizzard should take a look at a good bracket they have, which is the 50s bracket. Damage is good but not sky-high, classes have strengths and weaknesses against other classes/specs and it is nice. Even though one spec may seem more appropriate to destroy another, in this bracket a player have a much better chance at winning based on skill. Even DKs having great equipment and imbalanced skills in this bracket it is still very playable and enjoyable, a lot more so than 80s matches.

It is fun, but not so fun as it used to be or as fun as it is in the 30s to 60 brackets.
    Quoted for Truth. Not much more I can add.

There are only 6 BGs and the become boring after 99999999 times.
    And BGs dont recuire skill, one guy with brain can win the entire WsG the others will camp around in the midfield.

PVP is a gude brake form rofl-farming all teh free purplz (imo.)