Trying to Make a TotT Macro

And it's not working.

I'm trying to have TotT be automatically cast on whoever the focus is. Here's the macro:

#showtooltip Tricks of the Trade
    /cast [target=focus] Tricks of the Trade

Everytime I hit the key bound to this macro, the glove on my mouse gets highlighted to search for a target, regardless of whether I have a focus or not. Is this a problem with my UI? Or did I make the macro wrong?

Re: Trying to Make a TotT Macro

This is the one I use on my rogue.

/clearfocus [help]
    /focus [help]
    /stopmacro [help]
    /cast [@focus,help] Tricks of the Trade

Target the tank and click the macro, then anytime you click it again it will Tricks to him.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

i just use [target=playernamehere] and change it for every new tank i get lul. I have 3 of them usually, 1 for the MT, 1 for the OT, and a third for a dps for when the tank gets enough threat.

/target oogliebooglie
    /cast tricks of the trade
    /targetlasttarget

Quote Originally Posted by xxdrew
    i just use [target=playernamehere] and change it for every new tank i get lul. I have 3 of them usually, 1 for the MT, 1 for the OT, and a third for a dps for when the tank gets enough threat.
    ^This is what I typically do.

That, or what Lawomous said.

i use

works perfect everytime
    just make sure you have someone as your focus, and that the person focued is not yourself, and that they are in your party/raid
    also make sure they are in range, as tott has a short range

It sounds like you haven't bound the macro.

/focus [mod:shift]
    /stopmacro [mod:shift]
    /cast [@focus,help][@targettarget,help] Tricks of the Trade

casts tricks on your focus or on you targets target when no focus is present

to which key is your tricks macro bound?

/cast [@mouseover] Tricks of the Trade

Should work just fine, and gives you more flexibility instead of having to focus somebody or rewrite your macro all the time

After running alot of randoms on my rogue, I got tired of editing my TotT macro and didn't want to use a focus target..

I made up this macro pair to change/use my TotT target without manually editing a macro..

It's posted on wowwiki (Dynamic TotT Macro)

Set Tricks of the Trades Target Macro

This is a two macro system, One macro to cast Tricks of the Trade and another to set the target of that macro.

NOTE: The set macro cannot be used in combat since the game will not allow macro editing during combat.

Step 1: Create a blank macro named TotT

Step 2: Create the following macro named as you please, for this example SeTTotT

/run ToT = UnitName("target")
    /run if not InCombatLockdown() then EditMacro('TotT', nil, nil, '#showtooltip\n/cast [target='.. ToT ..'] Tricks of the Trade', nil); print('Tricks of the Trade set to : ' .. ToT); else print('Cannot change TotT now!'); end;

Usage :

* Target the player you want to set as your Tricks of the Trade recipient and use the set macro (SeTTotT), you will see a chatlog message confirming the macro worked.

* Use the TotT macro whenever you want to use Tricks of the Trade.

I use Grid so whenever I wanna use TotT I can choose any tank or fellow rogue I want.

Quote Originally Posted by ballad
    i use

works perfect everytime
    just make sure you have someone as your focus, and that the person focued is not yourself, and that they are in your party/raid
    also make sure they are in range, as tott has a short range
    This is what I use and it works fine, you can also do [@focus] too. Just make sure you are in range, you have a focus, and its all spelled correctly.