I got threat problem AOE tanking.

Hello guys, I'am wondering what could be wrong? When i AOE tank i have problem to have threat and I am not building the same threat as another tanks do. This days i wonder if I need some Expertice gems or some gear with that on. Is it worth to go for that?

ANd how is my Gems, should i change them out?

Here is my specc: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ist&n=Mertania

Re: I got threat problem AOE tanking.

Honestly, it's your weapon. Before Ulduar came out, OoN was a very great tanking weapon. That was when you could get away with tanking with an item level 213... we're at 277 (well, I guess technically there is no 277 gear obtainable except the rep ring at the time being, but the point remains the same). If your other tanks are sporting a 232 or better weapon, especially as a druid, you have no chance of beating them on AoE threat. Your weapon is your most important source of AP for bear, and upgrading your weapon will increase your threat by leaps and bounds overall as well as for AoE purposes.

Sure, your expertise is low, and that probably doesn't help (btw, I recommend dropping the 2 points in Imp Mangle and putting them into Primal Precision for tanking), but even if you up your expertise, you'll still be hitting like a limp noodle until you get a new weapon.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft
    Honestly, it's your weapon.
    Chucking in another vote for this. IMO, OON is still actually a good tanking weapon (it's way up there for effective health), however it really is crap for threat, so if you're having threat issues you should replace it. It's pretty easy to pick up something like the Reclaimed Thunderstrike from 10 Onyxia, and the proc on that should help your AoE tanking too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

There's also the new orca harpoon from the ICC 5 mans. I think it drops in Halls of Reflection but I'm not totally sure.

I would consider losing some points in Imp. Mangle for King of the Jungle. Using Enrage to start a pull should give you a decent boost in threat...
    Wildanimal
    80 Night Elf Druid
    Resto/Feral tank

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezee
    I think it drops in Halls of Reflection but I'm not totally sure.
    Yep, drops from the second boss after the 10th wave of adds. Not crazy about its base stats but it's still gonna help a lot towards your TPS problem.

Also if you can get your hands on a [Battered Hilt] the two-handed mace you get from the chain quest is pretty damn nice. iLvl 251 and tons of Expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Selverein
    Also if you can get your hands on a [Battered Hilt] the two-handed mace you get from the chain quest is pretty damn nice. iLvl 251 and tons of Expertise.
    yeah, I'm using the spire to tank right now; it's a really good weapon for a bear. Still farming a 3rd hilt for my priest though.

Yup, same. I switch to heroic Anguish on fights where I'll want a bit more survival than avoidance/threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezee
    yeah, I'm using the spire to tank right now; it's a really good weapon for a bear. Still farming a 3rd hilt for my priest though.
    Ditto. I press swipe and maul and the mobs are mine. It's fantastic. All that AP is awesome.

Problem on AOE threat on a bear = More swipe, demoral roar, maul.
    I highly doubt gear is a problem.
    Although if you're tanking in pvp gear, I stand corrected.

[Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black]

If you're staminasocketted, i can understand you got a threatproblem alright.

First of all make a macro something like;"/cast swipe <next line> /cast maul" mine is/was more complex but cba to find the .txtfile to copy-paste the macro.

Just google it i would say.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by D44N
    If you're staminasocketted, i can understand you got a threatproblem alright.

First of all make a macro something like;"/cast swipe <next line> /cast maul" mine is/was more complex but cba to find the .txtfile to copy-paste the macro.

Just google it i would say.
    no no

/use Swipe
    /use Maul

would queue and unqueue maul every press = bad

/use Swipe
    /use !Maul

would be the correct macro >>

I agree along with some others you need a better weapon.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Charo
    /use Swipe
    /use Maul

would queue and unqueue maul every press = bad
    For some reason, it doesn't, as of the last time I tested in game (maybe a month or two ago), even though it sounds like it should. I saw both !Maul and Maul having exactly the same behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    For some reason, it doesn't, as of the last time I tested in game (maybe a month or two ago), even though it sounds like it should. I saw both !Maul and Maul having exactly the same behavior.
    Easy enough to check, but I remember back in TBC when I was trying to help a friend out on his warrior and told him to use Heroic Strike, he was spamming his button so fast that it never was used... /use !Heroic Strike helped him a lot, lol >>

What is it people have with Maul macros? Even a scrub like me can press a key between two swings, it's not as if the bear would swing that quickly, and it's far superior to decide based on rage whether you want to spam Maul or not, as opposed to putting in a macro that can get you rage starved rather quickly in overgearing siutations especially. Also, I suggest that demo roar is out of place for aoe tanking in a 5-man where you don't need the debuff, as swipe generates more threat.

I had been tanking everyone with OON up until the other day when the harpoon from HHoR dropped for me. In big groups i usually charge the one the farthest away and then back him into the rest of the group while swiping until im in position. Then tab/target and maul/swipe. Dont tab too fast or u cancel your maul.

In the new instances i really had to work hard to keep agro over some seriously geared up dps, but ive tanked 25 man toc with the OON.

I dont think its a matter of your doing it wrong, just learning to do it better. Ask your dps to pull casters for you, they should do that anyways but usually need a reminder. There is nothing wrong with asking for a misdirect or tricks of the trade I usually do especially if groups are spread out or i think there is a risk of losing some.

As the tank you are in charge of the group and you need to act like it, most people are just there for the ride and put as little effort into the dungeon as possible to get their badges. Dont let them make you look bad, make them do their jobs.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Borakh
    What is it people have with Maul macros? Even a scrub like me can press a key between two swings, it's not as if the bear would swing that quickly, and it's far superior to decide based on rage whether you want to spam Maul or not, as opposed to putting in a macro that can get you rage starved rather quickly in overgearing siutations especially.
    It's not an end-all solution to tanking, nor should it change your TPS. What it does do is give you extra fingers / time for hitting other buttons. It could make moving while tanking easier, or it could make you less susceptible to repetitive stress injuries.

The macros are easily set up so that you can avoid mauling when you don't want to or only maul when you want to:

/cast [modifier:alt] !Maul or /cast [nomodifier] !Maul

Maul Macros, why?

1) Raid bosses will -always- give you plenty of rage, even Naxx bosses will fill your bar with one unavoided hit.
    2) Over gear the content (old raids, heroics)? Easy! PULL THE WHOLE MOTHER F****** INSTANCE IN ONE PULL! !!!!11111. lol. srsly.

It's not a matter of us being "lolnoskill" noobs, but preferring the ability to tank more than 10 minutes without your wrist feeling like someone is holding a lighter to it. edit: because as if swipe spam wasn't bad enough, spamming another key every 2 seconds = ugh.

Thanks for the help, been farming for a new weapon for over a mounth in TOC 25 and 10 man, but seems that I will try to get a weapon from Onixya 10 and 25. Thanks for the help guys.!!