[Enh] Using Spellpower MH with FT buff

Taken from wow-eu forum. http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....25292821&sid=1

Back in TBC I remember a time when using a caster MH with FT on it proved a dps increase compared to a regular MH with WF. Therefore I started testing this in Rawr and got disturbing results:

Replacing a 251 regular dps MH with a 245 caster MH (FT imbued, 621 sp) and playing around with the priority queue I saw a minimum increase of 150-200 dps and I'm sure I can tune it up even more.

I haven't had time to test this out on dummy or even raid boss but I was curious if anyone else thought and/or tested this out.

My first guess is that Rawr doesn't model such exceptions correctly but until further testing or proof I have to believe that the caster MH is in fact a dps increase.

Hope to hear from some theorycrafters Cheers.

PS: Both the regular and caster weapons are enchanted with berserker.

this is very interesting, I never really thought of it. out of Curiosity I did exactly as you suggested: I replaced my Frost Giant Cleaver (ilvl 251) for the Heroic Sunreaver Diciple Blade (ilvl 245, 621 sp). But my blade has only got 50 sp enchant on it (I'm resto as 2nd spec and I'm short of abyss crystals at the moment).

I did some testing on the boss dummy (lvl 73) in org behind the pvp building. I did 2 tests of exactly 5 minutes. I placed the usual totems including magma. Fire Nova did hit 2 targets on both tests because the dummies are too close to each other. The only buffs I had were weapon enchants and flask of the north (80ap). Cooldowns were used at the beginning and the end of combat (orc racial, wolves). Combat ended when the second wolves despawned.

The first test was the classic wf/ft which came out at 5612,4 dps. Melee crit rate (including windfury) was at 42% which seems about right. (i got 39.5 with totems down and elemental devastation should provide a bit too). Spellcrit was a bit low at about 22%.

The second test was ft/ft with the caster weapon. I was surprised to see that It came out at 5389,8 dps. Melee crit rate was at 40%. Spellcrit was at 30% (RNG ftw).

The additional 1000 spellpower from the enchanted dagger (+ft) upped the damage from spells quite a bit. My average LB did 3000/6700 (hit/crit) on average on the first test. This went up to 3700/8000 with the highest crit OVER 9000!!

Keep in mind that I used fire nova heavily (using lava lash only to refresh totem buff) since I talented and glyphed it. I did 86/84 fire novas during those fights and did always hit a second target. If you're doing single target damage like on most bosses you should cut a few dps from the first test and a bit more from the second since I had more spellpower.

All in all I guess it's still a bit behind wf/ft. The tests may have been a bit closer together if I had enchanted the spellblade with berserking. But weapon swapping in heavy AoE phases like onyxia whelp bombing will surely increase your dps.

2 question remain:

1, Is it competitive (or even pulling ahead) when there are 2-3 adds present like on anub in toc. We already cleared it this week, but maybe next week I'll do some testing

2, I was selfbuffed at those dummies. How good does it scale with optimal raid setup (every single caster and melee buff/debuff) compared to windfury. I guess I'll never find out on my own since I'm in a guild which brings the player, not the class (read: another 5 warriors instead of caster support)

Theory crafters gogo :P

Re: [Enh] Using Spellpower MH with FT buff

Without wf you are taking away a lot of possible mw procs.

Also they killed this when they normalized ft damage. Unless your mh is really bad stick with the norm. It is the norm for a reason. If you are worried about what rawr said put it in enhsim.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Deleted

FT normalisation killed fast SP weapons. Get me one with 2.6 speed and i'd love to see the results.

Deleted

As I replied in the original thread. A 5 min test unfortunately proves absolutely nothing even less than nothing if you have no log files so that we can analyse what was going on.

It is admirable you are wanting to test things but seriously you need to do decent length tests and you MUST record the session using the combat log feature and upload the results to a logging site.

Far too many things can affect the result of such a test including but not limited to the uptime of various buffs, the presence of various debuffs, how consistent you were. Unless you have a log file of your testing and unless the test is of a considerably longer duration then NO conclusions can be drawn from this test.

what about this pretty babey?
    http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/51004/lockjaw/
    2.2 Speed loocks pretty sexy in my opinion, i'm just dling new rawr and enhsim to test it!

Edit:
    Just tested this with my actual gear (Armory)
    Setup is in mostly ToC25/ToGC25 and few ICC25/10 pieces. (Single target ofc.)

FT/FT --> Lockjaw mainhand, Quel Delar Mace OH, hitgems in pants to fit hitcap
    WF/FT --> same Lineup, WF in MH
    WF/FT --> Lineup as shown in Armory

so overall not THAT much increase but since there are really no good weapons for enh-shammis in ICC10 this is worth a look.

Then Blizzard would simply realize their mistake and make the weapon speed a 1.4-1.8 instead. They have no intention for us to use SP weps for melee purposes and will do what they must to keep it that way as they have in the past.