Page 1 of 2
LastLast

int stacking vs spellpower stacking as discipline PvE priest

Just wondering what the general preference is for all disc priests out there. I used to keep it a little balanced using socket bonusses (ie yellow slots get int, all other slots get spellpower) but now I'm more leaning towards stacking spellpower instead as I rarely have mana issues, and the little loss of %crit from lost intellect seems neglectable.

Re: int stacking vs spellpower stacking as discipline PvE priest

Quote Originally Posted by smeedsc
    That is directed more towards Holy Priest, but it still a general guide.

If you have mana issues, go stack INT, if not, stack SP.

Deleted

Can you read the title? discipline pve priest

Anyway, the standard for disc is to gem full spellpower. Personally, I gem for spellpower in red and blue sockets and spellpower/crit in yellow.
    You can either use one prismatic (+10 all stats) or one spellpower/spirit gem to activate your meta. This usually goes in a piece with 1 socket which is blue, to gain the extra socket bonus.

If you have mana issues as discipline, then the fight has gone on for waaaay too long and your other healers will have oom'd way before you (unless you are spamming shields, in which case you need to rethink your strategy)

Quote Originally Posted by smeedsc
    issue was adressed across the thread.

sticky = good.
    Seriously, the sticky was done with only Holy Priest in mind and only looked at regen stats and nothing else.

The OP is asking whether to stack regen or thorough-put, something the sticky does not do. You would have known it if you actually read the sticky, which clearly you did not.

Discipline priests will not need a lot of regen. But, if you do, intellect is even better for a discpriest than a holypriest. Spirit is much worse due to no holyconcentration, and int is boosted by another 15% through talents.

As far as how much regen you will need, this will ultimately depend on your playstyle. This holds true for both holy and disc priests. If you run OOM all the time despite optimal usage of cooldowns, add some more int. If you never run oom, and never even bother to use cooldowns, you can safely say you have too much of it.

In general, holy need regen badly, and disc need throughput badly. This is also why it's hard to just switch healing spec with one set of gear, the two specs gear completely differently. When gearing up a fresh holypriest, I'd usually focus solely on getting regen, and then fill up with throughput once the immediate need are filled. When gearing up a disc priest, you will not really suffer mana issues once clad in heroic blues, and as such should probably focus almost solely on more throughput. The regen you need will likely come naturally through gear.

But ultimately, how to gear is a thing that will complement your style of play, and as such will vary from person to person.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

The basic breakdown(to help you make your decision) is as follows:

For Regen: 0.74mp5(Intellect) vs. 0.33mp5(Spirit)

For Throughput
    : 0.16(Intellect) vs. 1.0(Spell Power)

This is for DISCIPLINE only.

As discipline priest stack spell power over anything else, because it scales with most important skill - PW:S. Int gives you little bit of regen and bigger mana pool - useless for disco (for me anyway, as discipline priest i NEVER go oom).
    Personally I prefer to get spell power in red sockets, sp + crit in yellow and spell power + int in blue (rarely, if socket bonus is worth it [f.e +9 spell power]).

socket whatever you want. it just doenst matter. personally i go sp/spirit for blue sockets, sp for red ones and sp/haste for yellow sockets.
    if/when (dunno when i oom'd last time) your mana is low enough use one of your cd's. ^^ or a potion...
    omfg, someone said 'potion'... a kitten died.

#1 stat for disc is sp because of our template which does not provide any scaling through other statistics.

Intell is only the #1 tool (and mostly the only viable one) for regen. But when you reach the cap where you do not face any mana issue anymore, then more int is waste in my opinion. Just don't forget our template is mostly crit orientated and you should not neglict this as well. 30% crit sounds nice. Then you also have to balance regarding your raid composition. Haste can also be a good point to raise a little bit if you are tank healing and use GH from time to time (basically in hard modes GH+penance are quite usefull spells )

I do not believe there is "one" stat to raise. It's a matter of balancing your stats for fulfilling your raid assignements^^ But SP is definitely a mandatory one that always has to increase again and again...

Need mana? Go stack int.

Need bigger heals? Go stack sp.

Need bigger heals without possibly going oom after 3 minutes? go balance both.

I really don't get the problem of all these dilemmas...

I've just re-geared from Plea's+Resurgence (236 intellect fyi) to Pure Ice+Lunar Dust (311 spell power) and regemmed 6 +20 int into 6 +23 sp.

Total of -356 intellect and +446 sp.

Thanks for the responses all.

I believe my int was high enough to cover most fights mana regen, the only fights where I noticed going below 20 % mana was the fights where I still had shadowfiend and hymn up to use so mana wasn't much of a trouble. I have now replaced 6 int gems to 23sp gems, and am using purified lunar dust + talisman of resurgence. I will replace the +int trinket with the trinket from 10man likely to go for even more throughput.

Sitting at 3054 sp now, with inner fire.

15+ Year Old Account

I'm at 29.9k mana unbuffed~

I have about 2750 SP, I recently did a change over and changed my JC Int gems to SP and changed all my gems to SP+Int and anything above 5 SP for blue sockets I use SP+MP5 (personal preference, probably a must at 7-9SP though).

I'm using [Talisman of Resurgence] and [Tears of the Vanquished] at the moment in ICC and ToGC and replacing Tears with [Forethought Talisman] for throughput farm fights, I really wish I had something better to place Tears/Fore, Solace doesn't drop and we do LJ on both modes weekly *sigh*

I raid with 24k mana, 2900 SP, 25-26% crit, 600-700 haste unbuffed. I've raided all the current content as disc and I've never had mana issues (my trinkets are sliver of pure ice, and Sif's remembrance. No solace).

Sure, on most every fight I use shadowfiend, sometimes HoH, rarely a mana pot, but these are all inherent regen tools that we should be using anyway and don't detract from our healing.

I have to think that Disc priests who still stack int, even in part, cling to the idea of an impervious mana pool where they don't need to think about mana conservation. And by doing so, they sacrifice throughput, at which Disc is already at a big disadvantage.

The only thing boosting my int is the obligatory Disc talent.

15+ Year Old Account

I raided ulduar as disc and jumped back to holy for toc and now icc.

In ulduar times I stacked int because I was able to basically never run out of mana. Then I started to hit a wall as far as being an effective healer. Although I had little chance of running out of mana my heals just weren't strong enough. I would say SP stacking is the way to go. You will probably eat up mana and end up having to ask for innervates but you'll be able to pump out decent flash heals along with absorbing more. Because shield has a debuff you should make that sucker absorb as much as possible.

My thoughts at least but I believe SP stacking is the way to go once you've established a decent mana pool.

Still no luck here on sliver trinket nor solace, damn things just wont drop. As for having swapped to throughput over intellect, I must say that it has served me well. Though I notice I have to use shadowfiend a bit more regulary than usual, I still have not run completely dry of mana yet and thats without using mana pots. Sitting at 3074 selfbuffed spellpower now.

Also, stacking pure spellpower makes it easier to have an shadow offspec, just need a few items for hitcap and the rest of our gear will be gemmed nicely for spriesting.

as Choeb says disc/shadow is a nice combo to have as a primary/secondary spec since gemming for disc and shadow is so close as to be the same.

disc bubbles build off of SP so the new disc priest out there i tell them RED SP .. yellow SP/INT .. blue SP unless you need a meta active

Quote Originally Posted by DaruneAlbane
    as Choeb says disc/shadow is a nice combo to have as a primary/secondary spec since gemming for disc and shadow is so close as to be the same.

disc bubbles build off of SP so the new disc priest out there i tell them RED SP .. yellow SP/INT .. blue SP unless you need a meta active
    Most yellow slots aren't worth the socket for Discipline, so it's SP in all three slots unless you need the meta. Shadow, on the other hand, has started to pick up a lot of haste, even in their gems, so that's shifted a bit too.

If you don't need the regen, you shouldn't be gemming Int. It was said at the beginning of this thread, I'll say it again now, so that we can close this thread.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Choeb
    Still no luck here on sliver trinket nor solace, damn things just wont drop. As for having swapped to throughput over intellect, I must say that it has served me well. Though I notice I have to use shadowfiend a bit more regulary than usual, I still have not run completely dry of mana yet and thats without using mana pots. Sitting at 3074 selfbuffed spellpower now.
    Yeah, that's normal.

But it should be like this, it shouldn't be a problem.

I mean, why worrying if you have to use Shadowfiend+HoH+Potion every fight?

Those are tools in our possession and it's right for the healer to use it.

So it's better to gain 500sp and having to use all out mana regen tools rather than having 38k mana in raids and never going below 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by {_Izenhart_}
    Yeah, that's normal.

But it should be like this, it shouldn't be a problem.

I mean, why worrying if you have to use Shadowfiend+HoH+Potion every fight?
    I agree that Shadowfiend should absolutely be an expected part of the regen forumla. People who say "I have no mana problems, I barely have to use Shadowfiend" are probably gearing for too much regen. However, gearing around the expectation that you'll be able to effectively use HoH is a bit dicier because you can't guarantee that you'll get all or even any of the ticks. For instance on HM Beasts, there's two obvious times when you can use it, but often Warlocks are waiting to lifetap during the transitions and other healers are low too where, unless I'm sitting at or below 30% mana, I may not see any benefit. Similarly, some fights don't really have a great time to use it where you can get off a full channel. HM Twins is a good example of this where I can usually get off most of a channel, but sometimes an orb will get in and I have to break it to heal. So, I wouldn't automatically assume that HoH is guaranteed in general, but it very well may be in some circumstances.

I gem for pure SP (except to activate meta :P) and don't run into mana problems and rarely need to use my fiend. Am I geared too much for regen with my Illustration + Solace? :'(

The required regen for Disc comes with ilevel. When you start hitting 226 and 232 gear average... you'll start wondering how you cn get rid of more mana and wondering just how to go OOM without goofing off. My Priest is now retired, but when you start hitting the itemization on 258 gear and beyond you'll realize just how efficient Disc is... you'll also respec to take Divine Fury so your 700+ haste isn't wasted. :-\

Anyway, if you're just starting and have a gem slot... gem Int. Don't ask questions, just do it. As you convert to all the easy to obtain 232 gear... stop. Gem SP. Ignore mp/5 and spirit, it just doesn't matter. That said, use Darkglow if you're a tailor and use IED for Meta until you're very confident in your mana. Then move to haste/ESD if you're absolutely sure you'll be okay (you probably won't be still). Raid buffed I ran with a semi-pitiful 27k mana and didn't have mana issues anywhere. Much, much better served by having 4k+ SP than 33k+ mana. Now... if you have a Holy offspec? Hybrid gems. Go SP, SP/Int and Int/Spi. You'll need the regen as Holy... a lot.