Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Why Oculus should be taken off the random.

Quote Originally Posted by grimkiller
    If I was Blizzard, I would not have the drakes scale with gear at all.
    Actually, the reason to do this has to do with fight mechanic. All other fights in the game get easier, the better your gear. Why would vehicle fights be excluded from this?

Anyway, the only way I perceive the Oculus to be the Suckulus is because of the huge chance of others dropping out of the group, forcing you to requeue for it - essentially wasting time picking your nose if the leftovers of the group can't proceed (no healer and/or no tank).

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    I usually bail whenever I get Occulus. Today I got it and I decided to give it a go... guess how it went?

Well, the group decided to do emerald and amber void but of course the hunter decided to get an amber drake and not say a word. We eventually used the terrible vote to kick system (9 times out of 10 clicking on vote to kick does nothing) to get rid of him and guess what, another undergeared hunter stepped in and grabbed an amber drake despite what we told him.

Anyway, 130 minutes and no achievemnts later we finished the instance.

I... am... never... doing... Occulus... AGAIN!
    If you want to do achievements you don't do random dungeons. You form a group with people you know are skilled, like well-known players on your server or guildies.
    Defenitely for the harder achievements.

And yes, I've gotten achievements in random groups. But I was never looking for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anotherone
    people learned to live with easy badges dropping all around them, when there is something extra to do they brains are closed for any learning and sugestions so they leave. Personally i dont know why Oculus is hated instance... yesterday i've done it with pugs and got Make it count achivement without problems and we wasnt even trying to do it. Same thing is with HoR where you need to learn how things work to defeat 1st boss and his waves, but its place where you need to use some extra skills than usually or stand in correct place... thats too much for halfbrains 2-button spammers.

Removing Oculus will only make easier life for that people who wants easy badges and no challenge.

thats my worthless opinion :P
    Oh my God... getting an incidental achievement doesn't prove anything beyond text on a screen. And 360° movement on a vehicle =//= difficult trash waves. At all. As has been said numerous times before, many players want to play the class they chose. They do not want to do an instance in a vehicle. That's really all there is to it.

Your worthless opinion indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    I usually bail whenever I get Occulus. Today I got it and I decided to give it a go... guess how it went?

Well, the group decided to do emerald and amber void but of course the hunter decided to get an amber drake and not say a word. We eventually used the terrible vote to kick system (9 times out of 10 clicking on vote to kick does nothing) to get rid of him and guess what, another undergeared hunter stepped in and grabbed an amber drake despite what we told him.

Anyway, 130 minutes and no achievemnts later we finished the instance.

I... am... never... doing... Occulus... AGAIN!
    Why try for achievements with a pug? especially two of the tougher ones.

Clear the instance be done with it, use guildies if you want achievments.

I prefer MILLION times doing occulus than nexus, old kingdom, halls of reflection or pit of saron with groups that want to clean all the friggin trash for the quest item lol
    but still i support the first post of this thread because i just want to enter the computer and punch the face of the leavers

Quote Originally Posted by Suikiele
    As has been said numerous times before, many players want to play the class they chose. They do not want to do an instance in a vehicle. That's really all there is to it.

Your worthless opinion indeed.
    The last boss is in a vehicle.

3/4 of this instance is playing your character. 2 1/2 min fight on drakes is not game changing!

" Ulduar sucks it's an instance in a vehicle " see how dumb that sounds. :-\

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Marath
    First off... no this is not a QQ about oculus, it’s not hard. It’s easy... its fast... it’s really one of the best heroics you can get, you are done in under 15-20 mins even if your group is half brain dead.

The problem with oculus is not the dungeon design, never really was in my opinion. The problem is that people still perceive it as being a hard dungeon not worth their time. Kinda like when you first meet someone (Like half the people who will read "Oculus" in this thread title and instantly spew some random shit about how it’s easy without even reading the post content) an impression is instantly made, if you don’t like that impression you never want to be around that person again.

Same thing happened with oculus, people remember it when we all first hit 80 back when wrath first came out and it was moderately difficult. A lot of new players since then have never even seen the last boss... but "My friend" says it’s hard so I never want to do it.

It's people like this who see the loading screen and instantly leave group as soon as they finish loading. There is no way I am going to sit in a group as a healer with nothing but 2 dps waiting 45 minutes for another tank... who will most likely see its oculus and leave forcing the whole process to repeat.

I have joined groups where they had gone through 4-5 healers before I turn up and am willing to stick at it to the end... those groups went great. Everyone is left at the end thinking "well what was the big deal?"

Anyway... the point, Oculus SHOULD be removed from the random rotation for a number of reasons

1) It appears on the rotation far too frequently, personally I have never even seen one of the Ulduar instances like HoL... but I get Oculus at least 4-5 times a week along with Gundrak since the inception of the random LFG system

2) A large number of people still refuse to even attempt it; this means that the rest of the group have to wait 15 minutes to do something that should have been quick and easy.

There is no way that you are going to convince people that it’s easy and they should do it, the opinion is already formed. Chalk this dungeon up as an experience and learn from it, stop trying to force people to do something by making it easier (which they ignore outright) and then further forcing them by literally putting them in the dungeon that they don’t want to be in. It’s not going to work and it’s just making other people frustrated.

EDIT: Yes I am making this post in frustration after some jerk tank and a DPS ditched the random I just tried to run without even pulling the first trash pack.
    I love the wow fan base. When ever something doesnt go your way in game, instead of trying to be pro-active about it and make things better for yourself...no you just whine and say blizzard has to fix it jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by grimkiller
    How about no.
    How about leave it as is.
    How about it's fine as is.
    How about it's been nerfed to holy hell and back and is super easy cakes anyway, even before nerf.

It takes 15 minutes to complete.
    It's quicker than H Nexus and just as easy.

If I was Blizzard, I would not have the drakes scale with gear at all.
    Make it an actual semi-challenge that requires you to look at your monitor, not your TV.
    Let us put this in the framework of a cake:

This cake now only takes 15-20 minutes to complete. The ingredients are easier to come by. But guess what? It still tastes like someone took a dump in your mouth.

There is literally nothing that can be done to this instance to make it acceptable to many players beyond the removal of the awkward vehicle usage, at which point it is a totally different instance. Do you understand yet?

Its not random if you remove a dungeon, stop the QQ. sure it isnt as "fun" as other heroics but its not hard to finish it in 20 mins and clicking the dragon the second your out of combat is easy.

Less QQ over a heroic. Random is random.

If you dont like it then afk out the second the load screen finishes. I'm a tank and can replace you in 5 seconds so its fine with me.

I may be wrong, but from observations I believe this is how the random dungeon system works:

- Few players are looking for a group for a specific instance (3 DPS).
    - The spare spots are filled by people looking a random instance (Tank and healer).

Think about it. Oculus has such an unpopular rep, guess what most people are missing for their 'Champion of the Frozen Wastes' title? That's right, Oculus. In fact I just got it myself from doing a random dungeon there (and yes, the first tank and healer left immediately after zoning in, and a DPS left as soon as we killed the first boss). Quite a spam in guild chat when I finished the instance, about 5 achievements. ;D

I wouldn't say I'm a fanboi, but I find Oculus a nice change from the 'chain pull, AOE everything' tactics you get in most other instances. It's almost too easy now (though that may be due to the drake scaling with gear).

Occ is easy if you get a chance to explain the "hard" part to people before they leave, then there is not a problem.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

This cake now only takes 15-20 minutes to complete. The ingredients are easier to come by. But guess what? It still tastes like someone took a dump in your mouth.

There is literally nothing that can be done to this instance to make it acceptable to many players beyond the removal of the awkward vehicle usage, at which point it is a totally different instance. Do you understand yet?
    Oh no you have to ride a drake for all of 5-6 minutes. Wow sucks, doesnt it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomina
    The last boss is in a vehicle.

3/4 of this instance is playing your character. 2 1/2 min fight on drakes is not game changing!

" Ulduar sucks it's an instance in a vehicle " see how dumb that sounds. :-\
    Read this sentence carefully please: The majority of traversing this instance's geography is done in a 360° nature on something that isn't your character. The same can't be said of Ulduar (which isn't a fair comparison to begin with, since all those vehicles are ground-based). Notice how I don't even touch on the boss fights / tactics / trash / loot / latency / anything else. The problem rests solely on what I stated in that first line.

That is the only true difference between this and any other instance (with the exception of Malygos, which people coincidentally hate for the very same reason once you hit phase 3), and judging from the amount of press this issue has gotten lately, it seems a fairly prevalent one. So just saying "It's fine" is hilariously ignorant when there is obviously something wrong here.

How is it awkward? You mash a button over and over, maybe target a player mash a button, when the big dragon turns semi invisible fly around to avoid the glowing balls.

Rinse repeat.

Some people have different buttons and abilities... you know like different classes. Still doesnt make it awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by rated
    Oh no you have to ride a drake for all of 5-6 minutes. Wow sucks, doesnt it ?
    Actually, it doesn't. Because I just leave. :-) And, judging from what I've read lately, I'm not alone in this sentiment.

Oh no, but now I have a queue timer? I just get on an alt and do their daily heroic instead, and then come back. Or if I was doing dailies, I just continue doing dailies. All of this is preferable to what's being asked of me in that instance.

They're drakes. You fly from point A to point B on them. Most of the time you use them, that's all you use them for. Would the instance be magically made better if instead of flying from point A to point B on a drake you just used your own flying mount? Or a portal? No. That's just means of transportation. The flying trash is easily avoided, and dies in about 5 seconds even if you fail to avoid it, so it's almost not worth mentioning.

So what about DTK? I assume you hate the final boss there as much as you hate the final boss of Oculus. I mean, you used to spend a lot of the time as a skeleton, and OMG THAT"S NOT YOUR CLASS. I also assume you hate Instructor Razuvious because 2 people in the raid need to mind control the adds and OMG, I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN MY STANDARD ROTATION!!! THAT"S NOT WHY I ROLLED THIS CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!

When can we expect your thread asking for the Ulduar bosses to be removed from the weekly raid, because they all require you to do a vehicle fight?

Read this sentence carefully please: The majority of traversing this instance's geography is done in a 360° nature on something that isn't your character. The same can't be said of Ulduar (which isn't a fair comparison to begin with, since all those vehicles are ground-based). Notice how I don't even touch on the boss fights / tactics / trash / loot / latency / anything else. The problem rests solely on what I stated in that first line.
    You may be in for a rude awakening then when we hit the underwater zones in Cataclysm.

edit: Unless your problem rests solely with the fact that the 360 degree geography is traversed on a drake. In that case, I assume you have the same problem with flying mounts (since those are not your character either), and that therefore the only characters you ever play are druids.

The point isn' that its cake... guess what... we know it's cake, I for one have been saying this since before any of the nerfs. I think its a great way to see how other people adapt, but that was never the point.

The point is, a lot of people hate it. Because a lot of people hate it they leave the group before you can even pull the first trash pack, a lot of the time these people are tanks and healers, they are not easy to replace. If a DPS leaves... big whoop... just replace and move on, but when its a tank you have 2 options.

1) Try and replace... meaning you go to the back of the line and could be looking for up to 45 minutes
    2) Leave, seeing as you are instantly on a 15 min CD from the second you zone in that means you effectively have the deserter debuff even though you never deserted anything.

Pretty shitty options for people who dont give a shit about the instance.

The "difficulty" of the instance is not the problem, its the percepiton some players have of that "difficulty" which is making others frustrated.

To restate again because I saw at least 1 person who couldn't read.

The problem is NOT the instance, the instance is fine.
    The problem is people, more specifically peoples opinions which is impacting a lot of other players. For every 1 person that leaves an Oculus run 4 others have to compensate in some way.

I like the idea that came up early where someone said "If a player leaves within 5 minutes of starting the instance everyone else is free to leave and there will be no cooldowns before they can rejoin the queue for another heroic"

That would be a perfect solution and wouldnt remove the instance, I wish I had thought of it before I posted but I was frustrated and angry at the dickwad who ditched the group I was supposed to heal, and put me on a 15 minute CD.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42
    You may be in for a rude awakening then when we hit the underwater zones in Cataclysm.
    pfffft people will just whine about that saying they should have made them in the air where they can fly as they finally got use to that..... O.o

First off... no this is not a QQ about oculus, it’s not hard. It’s easy... its fast... it’s really one of the best heroics you can get, you are done in under 15-20 mins even if your group is half brain dead. [...]
    1) this IS QQ
    2) occulus should stay there - just make a new group if the 1st one fails
    3) blizzard should add more heroic dungeons like they were in BC - arcatraz 'n stuff - those heroics were so hard partially, a pug would never beat them. and i would laugh all day when one of those came up as "random heroic"

"you" casuals really asked for free loot. now you got free loot (lol, totc carebear instance. lol, t10 through heroic farming), but you ask for even more?! pathetic.

edit, just read this:
    [...]

I like the idea that came up early where someone said "If a player leaves within 5 minutes of starting the instance everyone else is free to leave and there will be no cooldowns before they can rejoin the queue for another heroic"

That would be a perfect solution and wouldnt remove the instance, I wish I had thought of it before I posted but I was frustrated and angry at the dickwad who ditched the group I was supposed to heal, and put me on a 15 minute CD.
    rrrright. you know that would mean the "random part" of random heroics would disappear because everyone and the mom would exploit the system until the instance pops up they like most?! wait, on the other hand... you don't know. just try to think sometimes. really helps.