Introducing Mysteries

I have seen a lot of videos showing places that are not intended to be explored, even if people manage to enter them exploiting glitches of the game. I like in particular Old Ironforge, and the sense of mystery that someone can fell while discovering, maybe back in the first version of WoW, that undiscovered hiding.

With the coming of Cataclysm and the Archeology profession, along with the terrain phasing technology, it would be very interesting introducing - intentionally - in the game a handful of places which are hard to discover, or even to reach. Those hidden areas would contain some strong mob to fight - alone - or a chest, or a legendary artifact (those artifacts available with Archeology, not an item of insuperable quality). They would be, perhaps, discoverable in certain period of the day, of the week or of the year, or there would be only one chance to find them and after this they will disappear from the world.
    Those which have been glitches could become an interesting part of the game, revaluating the feeling of exploration. Becuase WoW has one of the largest environment I have ever seen; there are hundreds or even thousand of caves, hidings, fortresses, castles, submerged areas and so on. They could possibly make a kind of treasure hunting, hiding pieces of a map in some chests spread along all the world, from the luxuriant jungle of Stranglethorn to the chilling peaks of Storm Peaks, from the infected lands of Shadowmoon Valley to the sand-covered terrains of Silithus and Tanaris...

What do you think of this idea?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Introducing Mysteries

Cool. Remember the Zelda quest btw? Linken in Un'Goro gives it. Makes you feel almost that way.

As much as I love exploring, and would love stumbling on a something like that, with websites like MMO-Champ, they wouldn't stay secret mysteries for long, killing the appeal.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

Infact I said that there would be areas which are to be discovered only once, and then they would disappear (and maybe reappear after an unpredictable period of time: terrain phasing will make this behaviour available without patches or server restarts). I know that Internet would soon spread these informations, but the felling remains. If the rewards were soulbound, they wouldn't be farmed... at least...

And yes, I love those quests that make you travel along all the world! I also like reading grey quality books to see all the funny things Blizzard put in them (most of the time, they aren't really serious XD).

I did that of Un'Goro, and liked it :P

I love the idea, but they are going to have to make a LOT of places for people to keep interested. Great thoght, though, exploring new places and marvelling at the view is my favorite part of WoW... the calm part, that can help you chill out.

Kind of like a rare spawn creature with higher quality drops.

A rare phase with some sort of secret items or puzzle or quest or something.

How Strange!
    I was thinking about this today!
    Like making treasure chest interesting again!

When you find one, in the world, you and your party are phased into another zone to solve a puzzle!
    And I think puzzles should be added to Dungeons too! It would make them more interactive!
    Of course, I just finished playing Spirit Tracks, and so I'm all over puzzles-- but still!

15+ Year Old Account

Great post. I would really enjoy this. I often serach youtube for glitches and easter eggs in wow, so i like this legit version of it.

For all those simular to me, if you run around the back of Karazhan, there is a spot that you can fall under the map. Once down there, Developers have drawn a smiley face on the floor!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...losophy/simple
    Philosophy, Worgen Mage of Magtheridon EU.Mokari, Nelf Hunter of Magtheridon EU (AKA Shikari @ Achindoun). [Currently inactive]

15+ Year Old Account

I went and SS'd it with a time stamp! I'll let those who like to explore (and havn't found this) get in there for themselves! ;D

http://tinypic.com/r/n68ihi/6
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...losophy/simple
    Philosophy, Worgen Mage of Magtheridon EU.Mokari, Nelf Hunter of Magtheridon EU (AKA Shikari @ Achindoun). [Currently inactive]

I always thought they should give people a reason to go to zones like desolace etc. Go into those caves and stuff so few people see anymore. Would be sweet to have something like rare mobs spawn and drop mounts, non combat pets, tabards etc.