Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Anyone actually excited about Cataclysm?

Expanison comes; Game world changes (players have no choice). People can now avoid world PVP 100% (so much for PVP servers).

Near the very end of the expanison; Deathwing dies (again, no one has any choice in the matter of what happens).

Can ANY tell me what is really that important about the expanison? What will be so good about it? New races are meh, so you can play the game in a different skin/model. Stats lose complexity (debatable whether or not this is a good thing, I personally think it is neither good or bad). Most other new and interesting stuff will be saved for Blizzard's next game (whether or not that will be good is also debatable), because a) Blizzard will prefer to stick to what works with the masses that play their game, b) they are not at all improving their game engine (game engines control a surprising amount of what a game can and cannot do, e.g. how many players in one area, what type of new aspects you can introduce into the game... you will not be able to introduce totally new concepts into a game engine that cannot recognise them).

What social aspects can Blizzard introduce to the game? They have already killed any community that existed IMO (even though it was mostly dead anyway with the changes they had already made and failed to make) with cross-server BGs and Instances. So meeting with already existing friends is fine, but changing server completely and trying to make new friends gets harder and harder.

So, I ask, what is really the point? Why would you continue to play this game?

Re: Anyone actually excited about Cataclysm?

Quote Originally Posted by MilitantCasual
    I don't know about you, but I just play this game to collect vanity pets.
    Very true.

I'll still be playing it. Why? Because it looks fun, which is why I play Wow in the first place.

Also I like both Goblin and Worgen and plan on going through both starting zones.

And I'm hoping they come out with a mini-Deathwing pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge wolf
    I'll still be playing it. Why? Because it looks fun, which is why I play Wow in the first place.

Also I like both Goblin and Worgen and plan on going through both starting zones.

And I'm hoping they come out with a mini-Deathwing pet.
    Of course, not saying it isn't fun.

What I am asking is; how do you define fun?
    Take what I discussed above, you may very well find new skins/models fun, also a changed game world that no one beyond the developers (who themselves are not the same developers who created the original WC lore, or WC3 lore, etc) can change (I am saying this because I think gaming is an interactive medium and should be about a player's interaction with the game world), if you find that fun (even if I personally wouldn't define it as 'gameplay') then so be it, but WHY would you find that fun (for a game)?

Am I excited about Cataclysm? Yes.

nah

I'm pretty excited for it. Blizzard's changing so much about the game! I know a lot of people don't really want to get detached from that classic WoW, but I think this change is for the better, really.
    <i>Howdy.</i>

MSN: dreemer@hotmail.com
    XBL GT: Dreemerr

I was going to say yes. but then i tried to articulate why i was going to be excited and i couldnt, so i guess im not that excited after all.
    Don't forget that without sentry totem raid bosses would often sneak up on us.

I kind of agree, i was very excited about WotLK and i played it in beta extensively and when it first came out I was the first DK in my (rather large and active) guild to hit 80. Cataclysm? Not so much... Idk, I'm kinda done with WoW though. Arena was what was keeping me in the game but after 3 seasons of the same thing you kind of get over it. New season comes out, grind to 2k, play 10 games a week and now you have your weapons/shoulders with like 2 months to waste until you get to make a new team and grind up to 2k again. You can only do the same thing over and over for so long before it loses it's touch. Honestly, Cataclysm looks more like a large content patch then it does an expansion. The only difference is that patches are free.
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Death knight - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend

No because I still don't like the stat simplification thing on all gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Graia
    I was going to say yes. but then i tried to articulate why i was going to be excited and i couldnt, so i guess im not that excited after all.
    Hehe so true.

I'm really looking forward to facing the elemental lords, those fights should be a lot more interesting than the usual tank and spank ones.

And the caster legendary. Which will probably be a sword and I'll cry my eyes out then go play something else.

Wasn't there another topic with the exact same title a couple of days ago? If you don't like it, don't freaking buy it, it's that simple.

I'm so excited!
    Even the mention of Cataclysm makes me pee a little.

Back to reality, they are freshening up old content that no one currently cares about.
    They are adding a new prof (some people absolutely love new profs).
    They are adding new glyph system, which sounds fun and brings more number-crunching to find the perfect path for your toon.
    Not to mention the talent trees are going to be shaken up, so most classes will play differently (even if it's just one button here or there).

Excited? Nah.
    I won't lose sleep if they delay it.

Looking forward to it? Yah.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    Can ANY tell me what is really that important about the expanison? What will be so good about it?
    What is really important about any expansion? Arthas dies? There's still a Lich King. We can access Outlands? Meh.

You could ask that about anything in any game ever. The game is fun. There will be new things that will be exciting to experience.

Quite excited, indeed. I cannot wait for a new old world, and an expansion that brings new character customization options including Path of the Titans and Talent Specialization Specializations, and I especially can't wait for the large amount of raiding content they promised us.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
    -Voltaire

10+ Year Old Account

I'll list the things I'm excited about:
    -Goblin and worgen!
    -New water graphics (about time)
    -Cool endboss (Deathwing is about 3 times cooler than the Lich King imo)
    -New mounts
    -Archaeology & Path of the Titans (basically an addition to talents)
    -Guild Progession (very good idea)
    -New Old World (I don't see why people whine about this... The new, ravaged world is so much more epic)
    -Ragnaros returns
    -Cool new areas
    -An Egyptian styled raid (been waiting for this)

So yeah, I'm excited.
    Taz'dingo!

You guys seem despressed, if you're not even excited for what to come then why even bother staying now?

I gotta say I'm prtty excited about the changed pixels I will look at as my new main character

Think this way, 3 goblins (friends) all in separate hogs roaming over the new and much cooler landscape pwning anything in their way with the guildname called ; Hells Goblins

The Goblin hunter plan to excitement ;

1. You spot a mob, preferably one you don't oneshot (melee players do fine too)
    2. You start shooting it, it feel threatened and starts roaming towards you.
    3. It comes near, you use your rocketboots and turn around in mid air, still pewpewing him.
    4. It is disoriented and takes his time to relocate you (you're still pewpewing it)
    5. It comes roaming towards you again, you disengage making it unable to touch you again and you finish it.
    (6.) You shoot a rocket in its face if it managed to survive long enough.

Are you excited yet?

and what about you'd be able to disengage IN the air, that'd bring you FAR out of its range.
    Conquered and claimed the epic Chex thread and turned into a lolkitty and failpicture thread making it produce more then 10 pages every minute.

Deleted

Yes, I am excited.

The changes that they are making Are something new something that i don't want to miss out on.
    So again Yes, im excited but it won't give me sleepless nights :P

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by JM4X
    -An Egyptian styled raid (been waiting for this)

So yeah, I'm excited.
    AQ is somewhat egyptian styled

But yeah, I am excited too

Another titan themed instance (zone even) - lovely
    stat simplification - not needed but don't care about it too much
    new raids - can be good if they're not too easy
    new proffesion and path of the titans thingy - interesting
    flying in azeroth - nice
    new water - godly
    revamped talents too include more interesting talents - lovely
    revamped world with up-to-date graphics - lovely
    new races - nice
    better guild system - lovely
    pvp rated bg's - lovely
    more class combo's for races - nice (race change to tauren pala, and troll druid if the forms are good)
    better racials - nice

things that would make it better imo:
    harder raids for entry level (meaning the rest of the raids can progress harder too, karazhan and ICC10 feel about the same in dificulty, this should be karazhan and naxx)
    guildwide atunements
    harder heroics
    no tier sets from emblems
    underwater / multipasenger flying mounts

so mostly yes i am excited but it can have some more in my opinion