Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Disc Priest Lf advice

    Hey all,

    Well I am considering swapping mains going from a mage to a priest and I would appreciate some advice. I think my talent tree is correct but pls feel free to criticize and also gem wise I am not always sure of which to pick in order to be the most effective possible.

    I'm aware my gear needs some work and I plan to work on that with the new badgers and ten mans.

    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n=Athe%C3%AEst

    Thank you for any input you feel able to give

    Ps: Holy is to be my offspec so any input on the talents would be great too.
    Thanks to Shiri for the awesome sig <3

  2. #2

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Drop the crit gems. Gem pure Sp, SP int, SP mp5 or pure intellect.
    If u feel ur going oom replace the SP gems with intellect, if u end fights with to mutch mana to spare start replaceing intellect with SP.
    Get rid of the spirit on your boots, replace it with vitaliti if u want regen or the 15stam increased runspeed enchant.
    Spirit does close to nothing for a disc since u hardly go out of the FSR and no talents scale with spirit either.

    Your spec looks alright altho i hardly use renew but thats a personal choice, some use it some don't so u need to choose for yourself if u spec for it.
    Talents differ depending on the fight and main job u get assigned to. For example grace is quite useless on twins because u wil never keep focus on 1 target.

    Overall id say get more intellect and play around with talents and stuff so u get to know the class and spec well, then u can decide what spec and gearing benefits more in a certain fight.
    Paying $15 a month doesn't give you the right to win, it gives you the right to compete, the rest is up to you.

  3. #3

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Quote Originally Posted by ohlins
    Drop the crit gems. Gem pure Sp, SP int, SP mp5 or pure intellect.
    If u feel ur going oom replace the SP gems with intellect, if u end fights with to mutch mana to spare start replaceing intellect with SP.
    Get rid of the spirit on your boots, replace it with vitaliti if u want regen or the 15stam increased runspeed enchant.
    Spirit does close to nothing for a disc since u hardly go out of the FSR and no talents scale with spirit either.

    Your spec looks alright altho i hardly use renew but thats a personal choice, some use it some don't so u need to choose for yourself if u spec for it.
    Talents differ depending on the fight and main job u get assigned to. For example grace is quite useless on twins because u wil never keep focus on 1 target.

    Overall id say get more intellect and play around with talents and stuff so u get to know the class and spec well, then u can decide what spec and gearing benefits more in a certain fight.
    I had always wondered if gemming for sp-crit was worth it from what you say I shouldn't bother too much so thnx for that.

    I do tend to use renew so I think i'll leave those points there maybe that will change in future.

    Good point on the spi on boots once again I had put that enchant there by default so...

    Mana wise I seem to just about cope on most fights reaching oom towards the end of them.

    Thnx for the advice i shall be back once i've done some more testing!
    Thanks to Shiri for the awesome sig <3

  4. #4

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Quote Originally Posted by smeedsc
    personally I play Disc main spec. and unless you are having mana issues, leave the damn crit sp gems right where they are.

    with proper cd management if you are struggling for mana "u r doan it wrong"

    People love that stupid fucking restore mana on spellcast gem, they can theory craft that to all fuck if they want, the point is SP+ the 2% intel + extra crit coming from it = more fucking output than that gem ever.

    but people theory craft and thats the problem.

    haste I wouldnt take past 11% at first, once you get gear gear and more gear burying you with haste, well you are gonna have fucking haste.

    but always IMO is SP is king. if mana pool is cool, crit. or ok ugh haste.

    its all about output as disc. we get penalized right off the bat because our +spirit on gear means shit for output like a holy priest's does., the thing that helps us back up are our crits and DA shields.

    to approach it different.. ugh.

    we also gain crit from the size of our mana pool of course, which doesnt completely invalidate that, but meh, if you are ending a fight you started with 12k mana and a CD left, and started with 30K mana, you're doing it wrong. =)

    happy disc healing.
    Seems there is quite a few things i'm doing wrong hehe. I shall work on it all!
    Thanks to Shiri for the awesome sig <3

  5. #5

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Quote Originally Posted by smeedsc
    oh pst i never ever ever ever cast renew as a disc priest unless i'm being nice to a warlock in a five man. as holy i'm specced for it, but its a fail disc heal. we dont hot shit, we shield, we flash we crit, we deflect damage. we dont put up some 1500-1700 ticking shit renew on stuff. we fix big incoming damage. BEFORE it hits.

    imo toss a friggin shield on a rogue or sumt, thus giving him energy back when he inevitably gets slapped on the head. MAYBE a renew on the tank if you are really bored. I prefer to start pre shielding starting with the melee when i'm bored.
    Why wouldn't you cast Renew on a target that isn't going to be hit in the foreseeable future? It's an instant-cast spell, which means you're only affected by the 1 sec GCD as opposed to a 1.3 sec. cast time with flash heal. Also, Renews are great for mana return with items like the Ephemeral Snowflake, which returns mana on each tick (as long as you're not surpassing the .4 second ICD). So yes, there are many times to use Renew, even as Disc.

  6. #6

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    While Renew isn't a great spell for Discipline, you shouldn't remove it from your bindings alltogether, no matter if it's a 5man, 10man or 25man.

    "I'm a Disc priest, I only use PoM, PW:S and FH, lol!" <- That's the shit mentality that leads to bad disc priests. Any spec should use the spells they have available to themselves - even if that just means Renewing a target that you don't really have time to heal right now or that you know won't need instant healing - Renew is great HpM over time so there's no reason not to use it if the opportunity is there. Also keeping Renew on a tank can make the difference between that unlucky hit killing him while you're casting your Flash Heal (Assuming he's got Weakened Soul from being shielded before) or not.

    Renew is great for 5mans as well regardless of your spec, simply because you can throw it on someone and then focus on whatever is more important.

    "Why not toss a 7500+ shield on people" instead? - Because they may have Weakened Soul on them since, as a Disc priest, you'll most likely keep a lot of people shielded.

    Saying "chances are is spike damage is going to be spammed up by the team of healers before your renew ticks twice successfully = waste" is like saying that the 2 Resto druids running 4 HoT's each on the tank is a waste because they're only going to get to tick once or twice each because of the Holy Paladin next to them is spamming GCD-capped heals all day.

    Stupid statements are stupid.

    Oh, and.. "but people theory craft and thats the problem" - lol.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

  7. #7

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    You did say never cast it.

    I haven't specced it, I haven't glyphed it, but you are stupid if you don't use it when it would be suitable to do so. Stop preaching like you're the God of Disc Priests, because you're not. Instead, try saying; "I don't think Renew is good because of this and that" and leave it as an opinion, instead of trying to compensate for something..

    It's not a shit heal. It's utility, it's nice to have in some situations - and if you can't judge when those situations occur, then you should stop healing all together.
    I didn't say you should "cast it more" - I'm saying, it's a spell we have available, it's our only HoT, and thus we should know when to and how to use it.

    And, by the way, Rapture has an internal cooldown - but you knew that, amirite? No?
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

  8. #8

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Mythricia
    And, by the way, Rapture has an internal cooldown - but you knew that, amirite? No? Where's your Armory, show how amazing you are.
    I agree with you about renew, it's situationally useful - but the rapture ICD is something of a joke as it can easily be abused in situations were multiple shields pop instantaneously.

  9. #9

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    I agree with you about renew, it's situationally useful - but the rapture ICD is something of a joke as it can easily be abused in situations were multiple shields pop instantaneously.
    This was fixed quite a while ago, no more 5k mana return on raid AoE.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

  10. #10

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Mythricia
    This was fixed quite a while ago, no more 5k mana return on raid AoE.
    Actually, no. The fix is near impossible to do and would take a complete overhaul of how the game sends and receives data.

    For Rapture to cause its ICD, the client needs a message, but if 10 raid members are shielded when the AoE that 1-hits the shields, the client receives 10 messages, saying to proc rapture and cause the ICD, at the same time resulting in 25% mana returned.

  11. #11

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    @Smeedsc

    Alright, you're not a 2 weeks old Disc priest, but you give the impression of it. I still don't agree with you. Renew is situationally useful and telling people that it's useless shit is just silly, whatever happened to trying to be educational and modest?

    Mine, for reference. Feel free to flame, played Death Knight as main in most of WoTLK, just picked the priest up recently without a raid guild, so it's pug and badge geared. Was a TBC main. It's specced and geared to be a viable tank healer, since that's what I often do in raids and I find it more useful in 5mans.


    I love how you suggest that because I say Renew is not a useless spell, I am spamming it around? Who said anything about talenting it? I didn't. Did I say anything about not PW:Shielding?

    To give you an idea of what I mean; Log for ToC10 pug.

    Renew did 3.9% of the total healing through the instance, it's basically at the bottom of the list as it should be. It did do ~100k healing though, which is not bad for being a spell cast mostly on our MT with only 30% overheal.

    Feel free to browse the rest of the log to try point out any mistakes, as you can see I'm not spamming Renew or ignoring PW:S. The amount of Greater Heal casts is due to my spec as a viable MT/OT healer rather than a raid heal/spot heal spec. GH is ~1.5k more HPS than Flash Heal spam so saw a lot of use on the tank(s).


    As for Rapture;

    You can look over the Rapture gains and check it compared to the number of PW:S casts and encounter duration to see that Rapture isn't as broken as it was when you could f.ex. pop a whole group of shields on raid damage (Malygos etc) earlier in WoTLK.

    I rarely ever see more than the intended mana return on raid damage - and trust me, I've tried a lot to shield up a whole raid pre-AoE to see the mana return - usually it's around 600-700 which is pretty accurately 2.5% based on my mana, which is usually ~30k buffed (Or more like 31k lately). See the Rapture numbers for the instance here, the avarage is basically spot on.


    There, now I actually showed numbers to back up my claims. Anything more to point out?
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

  12. #12
    Epic! Punks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Coeur D'alene
    Posts
    1,654

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Quote Originally Posted by smeedsc
    and bad disc priests are bad ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


    start thinking about rapture, and improved flash heal. and then a shit renew. it may have uses, but ya know if i'm in a 25 man raid and i feel that I need to be casting renew? "We R DOAN IT WRONG"


    I'm not saying never ever cast it. I'm saying its a shit heal. most likely one wouldnt want to spec two talent points into it. but meh to each their own.
    Well I and my Disc Preist leader think your trinkats are shit for Disc , but meh to each their own.
    Why does Ghostcrawler hate paladins?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    A ret paladin killed his parents.

  13. #13
    Epic! Punks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Coeur D'alene
    Posts
    1,654

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Quote Originally Posted by smeedsc
    and your disc priest leader probably runs with 30k + mana and has shit for output to show for it.
    \
    Far from...Point being is you can not take any criticism period. Enjoy your Very small bubble you live in.
    and you really can get WAY better trinkats for disc than even have a lower item lvl than those.

    Dragon soul is way Pimp IMO
    Why does Ghostcrawler hate paladins?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    A ret paladin killed his parents.

  14. #14

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    There's different roles and situations for different Disc priests and healing styles.

    Some stack SP and raid/spot healing - thats fine, thats one role.
    Some stack Int/mp5/Haste and Tank/spot heal with 35k raid buffed mana and GCD capped heals - thats fine, thats also a perfectly viable and acceptable Discipline priest role.

    I have less Spellpower than my alt Tree, which is because my role is the latter mentioned above. Though I'm thinking of leaning more towards SP now since my initial mana issues from being a fresh 80 are subsiding.

    The point is; there's more than 1 way to gear Disc, there's more than 1 way to play Disc; and none of them are more wrong or right than the other. Sure, one might be more attractive in a progressive raid guild using you as a raid healer/shielder/mitigation bot - But not everyone is in that situation.


    Off topic, anyway, so; we can agree to disagree!
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

  15. #15
    Epic! Punks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Coeur D'alene
    Posts
    1,654

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Mythricia
    Off topic, anyway, so; we can agree to disagree!
    Agreed
    Why does Ghostcrawler hate paladins?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    A ret paladin killed his parents.

  16. #16
    Legendary! seam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,891

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    I use renew whenever theres a gap in damage. I'll toss it on the MT and stuffs.

    As for mana, my priest has 31k mana, and 3k sp o.O. Not using int trinkets and gemming SP/int...but thats due to how I play.

    I use every GCD...I blame my being used to dpsing as a lock in BC. I'm working on getting better at managing mana tho, so I'll prolly dump my gems into pure SP. That being said, I don't ever go oom, I just like having the cusion for when I have to burn a lot of mana.
    Avatar done by my friend Crystal<3

  17. #17

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    I always raided with the mentality that; if I'm not nearly OOM at the end of the fight I could have done more.

    I know that was something I talked my other priests into doing as well back in TBC (Was class officer), and this was very much a good mentality to keep in Sunwell and so forth. I've Solo healed most of Northrend Beasts in ToC after the other healers went down simply due to playing with the mentality that exceptions are the norm; you can't expect a raid to go perfect, in fact, if it always went perfect then there wouldn't be any problem with progression now would there?

    When you're suddenly keeping a whole raid alive, solo, even Renew becomes an attractive spell. "This DPS is going to die if he doesn't get some healing - but so is this tank, or this other DPS - I'll renew him and hope it works - yay, it did, he lived while I was still healing other people". If said DPS had Weakened Soul, and I had no time to stop healing the tank - it wouldn't be a good idea to just leave him there to die, so why not HoT it and keep working on the more important things?

    Maybe it's just me being a paranoid player; I always plan and expect things to go shit and therefore make myself able to cope with it. It's fulfilled it's purpose countless times.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

  18. #18

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Quote Originally Posted by smeedsc
    I tank heal perfectly fine without speccing into greater heal, without using renew but once in a blue moon, and without being a "shield spamming mitigation bot"

    at least for myself, I have 0 mana problems, I dont waste the time on greaters on a tank, because thats not my role. even if i'm tank healing, there is a pally or two and a shammy or two spamming into it as well. given the nature of huge back to back smacks from bosses to tanks, the key to a disc priest is to mitigate those random fuckshit spikes.

    you dont do that with a 2 second or 2.5 second greater heal, nor a itsy witsy 1700 ticking renew. you do that with 10k + of stacked shields on a topped off tank.

    granted I dont pug.
    If you spec into greater heal, you should also be gearing for more haste, so your greater heal would be about 1.5 seconds with borrowed time. Greater heal, with the correct talents, is more efficient than flash heal with talents and glyphs.

  19. #19

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Mythricia
    There's different roles and situations for different Disc priests and healing styles.
    Could not agree more.

    Quote Originally Posted by smeedsc
    I tank heal perfectly fine without speccing into greater heal, without using renew but once in a blue moon, and without being a "shield spamming mitigation bot"

    at least for myself, I have 0 mana problems, I dont waste the time on greaters on a tank, because thats not my role. even if i'm tank healing, there is a pally or two and a shammy or two spamming into it as well. given the nature of huge back to back smacks from bosses to tanks, the key to a disc priest is to mitigate those random fuckshit spikes.

    you dont do that with a 2 second or 2.5 second greater heal, nor a itsy witsy 1700 ticking renew. you do that with 10k + of stacked shields on a topped off tank.

    granted I dont pug.
    In a perfect situation, yes. That is exactly what a disc should do. But things do not always go perfectly.
    I don't use renew often either tho, i don't realy see a point in it but some disc's seem to use it as a small buffer hence they talent it.
    Paying $15 a month doesn't give you the right to win, it gives you the right to compete, the rest is up to you.

  20. #20

    Re: Disc Priest Lf advice

    Haste becomes more valuable if you spec into greater heal, and more than 11% isn't terrible for that spec. Greater heal can be brought down to about 1.6 seconds. It heals for more than twice as much as flash heal (it also gets more bonus from spellpower than flash heal does). Flash heal can be brought down to below 1 second, but because the GCD can't, I'll just say that it can be brought down to 1 second. Two flash heals, which take 2 seconds to cast, heals less and costs more mana than one greater heal, which takes 1.6 seconds to cast.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •