Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: How much do you charge for a port?

5G is the typical tip I get. I don't care about porting if I'm just doing my AH trading.
    What I really hate is when I invite someone after they've whispered me and they're in a group >

I only idle in dala, so I never get asked for ports. guildies get them free. :3

@Pve_mage, I usually get 5-10g tip depending on the ctiy, if dal usually 10g but I dont care, but tips are tips

I have been called some pretty nasty names when I am on my mage alt. For instance I was standing on the bank in org and some lowbie started talking in /s asking for a port. The problem was there were 3 other mages sitting on the roof, so who knows who he was talking too. I had jumped on my mage to drop a table for a raid group I was in on my pally but didn't have a mage and was waiting for them to summon me to ulduar. As soon as the loading screen went away I had a tell from the lowbie in org saying I didn't have to be a bitch and ignore him. One of the other mages sitting on the roof, I happened to have a mutual friend and he sent me a tell saying the guy had been rude to all of them and was now being ignored. I decided to not bait him and put him on ignore, so he made a level 1 alt to continue to send me tells. When I logged my pally back in, I sent him a tell saying mages were not a taxi service and kindness goes a long way.

However on topic, if I open a port for you. You must ask first and then wait for me to send the invite (I stay in a party for that reason, usually grouped with my AH mule that is always sitting in SMC) and then I open trade (15g is the expected price for dalaran and 10g for the other cities). Then and only then will you get a port from me.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

I rarely charge for a port, but that is only because the people asking me for them have already offered gold for it. I usually get like 5 or 10g per port, but there have been some desprate people that throw 50g into trade. If they're a lowbie alt asking for a port from one town to the other in order to get their favorite starting zone, I'll even take the port and offer to run them to the questing area on my multi-passenger mammoth for a little extra change.

The only people I don't bother with are those that invite me to a group out of the blue without whispering me. I also hate it when I'm in the middle of a freaking raid and you get that "can i get a port to dal plz" whisper from some random lvl 20 in SW. When I ask how the heck they got my name they tell me "oh i just /who mage and saw your name" regardless of what zone you're in.

There are some distinct situations going here.

1. Some guy whispers: port do dala plz
    Me: 50g.

2. Some guy whispers: Hey mate, sorry to bother you, but could you please open a portal to "City" for me?
    Me: Sure, 5g.

3. Some guy whispers: Hey mate, need portal to "City", paying 25g.
    Me: Done and done.

Basically, the money i charge depend on the way people ask me. On a side note, when im playing some other char, im always polite, and i always tip 25g, no matter the city.

Just like someone said, its like a real life, people are asking for something you can sell. Why should i give it for free ? I mean, if you dont want to pay for it, you are free to spent 10-15 minutes travelling by foot till you are there. Just my 2 cents.

i have never paid since wotlk released, even though i have a good amount of gold, and i use a good amount of ports very frequently.

I pay with a "thank you"

15+ Year Old Account

Wow, people still charge for portals?

The only thing you're charging for is the 20silver (HUGE COST) for the reagent and the effort it takes to click your portal button.

It's like someone asking you "Hey man, you got the time?" and you saying "Sure, that'll be 5 bucks - after all, I took the trouble to buy myself a watch and took the trouble to look at it, so you should pay me".
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account

I've never charged for a portal on my mage. If they ask nicely, I do it free. If they don't ask nicely, I don't do it. Why should they have to pay me for the massive amount of effort it takes to click a portal if I'm just idling? Hell, I don't even charge for blacksmithing crafts on my warrior as long as they are polite and are willing to come to me.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal
    It's like someone asking you "Hey man, you got the time?" and you saying "Sure, that'll be 5 bucks - after all, I took the trouble to buy myself a watch and took the trouble to look at it, so you should pay me".
    Correct, except this is the internet and I can be as mean as I want with no consequences. i stand by my statement that 5 gold is never enough to have me make you a portal when I just don't feel like it at the moment. I don't need money for it, if I'm gonna do it I'd do it for free. If you offer 100g, i'll do it when I don't feel like it.

Paying mages to make you a portal should be illegal. And result in a perma ban!
    >.>

I was starting a new char on a new server and i wanted to come to dalaran to have my HS there so I can have teleports between all the major citys since it takes time to travel around Azeroth. This mage wanted 30g for the portal, I said no and kept on looking for other mages who would teleport me for free, asked em all nicely but everyone was a douche. I ended up giving the mage (who wanted 30g) my characters life savings just for that portal! :-\

Quote Originally Posted by Deyman
    >.>

I was starting a new char on a new server and i wanted to come to dalaran to have my HS there so I can have teleports between all the major citys since it takes time to travel around Azeroth. This mage wanted 30g for the portal, I said no and kept on looking for other mages who would teleport me for free, asked em all nicely but everyone was a douche. I ended up giving the mage (who wanted 30g) my characters life savings just for that portal! :-\
    Why didnt you roll mage, spent 3 months levelling your alt, only to get asked every 15seconds by level 3 people for "DALA PORTAL" and not even get tipped for running to them, leaving your dungeon finder queue to portal them somewhere they have no need to be.

Edit, i dont portal anyone under level 70 to dala unless its a friend. And anyone under 20 i don't speak to in case its a gold seller.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Deyman
    Cool. All of a sudden a million mages called out "Sorry? What's a portal? Can't help you buddy" And you got to walk everywhere.

Srsly though, what's with people expecting charges to represent the mat cost only? Is that how it works in the real world? Or do people make money using supply and demand?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal
    Wow, people still charge for portals?

The only thing you're charging for is the 20silver (HUGE COST) for the reagent and the effort it takes to click your portal button.

lol, you never really played a mage. people like you also believed they deserve that any mage takes 5min time for them to cast 200 water + 200 food for them. if you're a mage, and hang around in ogrimmar for example, you will get those "plx port dala" scumbag-questions once a minute. sure you would do port every one of them, for free. and it would be fun for you. lollercoaster @ you.

normally i do not port, ever. only if 1 out of 100 asks politely, or even offers some gold coins, they will get what they need. the rest will not even get an answer. i just forget they asked.

if they ask politly they get a portal or food free if i got the time spare, i will even try and find the time if possible, else i tell people that i am food specced when they ask for portal, and then have to explain that if i am food specced i can make teleports but not portals :P
    Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a site of ' hot xxx galore'.
    "'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!" quoth the server, 404.

I don't charge, for the sole reason I only log my mage when a friend or guildie requires a portal.

Quote Originally Posted by TruffleMuffin
    Why didnt you roll mage, spent 3 months levelling your alt, only to get asked every 15seconds by level 3 people for "DALA PORTAL" and not even get tipped for running to them, leaving your dungeon finder queue to portal them somewhere they have no need to be.

Edit, i dont portal anyone under level 70 to dala unless its a friend. And anyone under 20 i don't speak to in case its a gold seller.
    I have a lvl 80 mage... I know what it's like to get asked for portals, but i serriously dont mind leaving my Dungeon Finder Queue or BG Queue to help an another player. I also do it for free, I do lots of things for free that is supposed to be free, You go to the argent tournament and make 23g for one of those dailys, and I got the travelers tundra mammoth so money is really not a problem for me, I even gave a random person 40g for his epic mount skill. And if running to a person in a game is hard for you to do (i know it gets boring to do after 50 times) But ur helping others out, and thats what counts imo.

I cant believe how many cock-block epeen assholes play this game. Make the port and dont ask for gold, I mean come on, is it really that hard to press a button? Usually people will tip you anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeninjas
    I cant believe how many cock-block epeen assholes play this game. Make the port and dont ask for gold, I mean come on, is it really that hard to press a button? Usually people will tip you anyways.
    Please see bolded. I didn't roll a mage to make 47 portals a day. I'll do some if I feel like it for free, and then if they don't offer an amount that makes me care I will say no. I don't know why this is hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeninjas
    For me, the "game" is seeing people nerd rage over tiny amounts of gold.

The trick is to make the sum large enough that they rage, but small enough to make me lol.