Thread: Shaman HPS

Shaman HPS

Ok, so, my main is a prot/arms warrior, and I leveled a shaman just for funziez. Then, my guilds resto shaman left, and so I...well became the new one. Anyways, Since 3.3 came out I ran a whole ton of heroics on him, and brought him in some raids like udluar 10 to icc 10. Now he's better geared then my warrior, and so now the guilds making me use that as my main toon. I'm ok with that, thats not really what I'm posting about.

The only three addons I use on my shaman are recount, healbot, and DBM (your basic raiding addons).

In heroics, yes even h hor, everything runs smoothly no ones dies. In raids, I'm getting out healed (and sometimes people die *cough*).

So. Raids. In a togc 10, on twinvalks, a druid (understandable I think), and a pally (not understandable) out healed me (both are slightley better geared). I was only pulling 3k hps, where as they were both pulling 5k hps. I also had the least overhealing done. We downed them fine (ish, we wiped...3 times i think? Anyways not important it was just stupid mistakes)

Now, on Anub, We tried to zerg it, so the druid went dps. Both the palley and I "about" had the same total healing done, same hps (4-5khps), but he had way more overhealing done.

The whole point of this is....am I failing as a healer? Should I tell my guild to shove it and go back to tanking? Or are shammies a mix between disc and holy preists and meant to...balance things?

If you need any more info, just say so, try to be specific, and I'll edit.

Btw this is on zuluhed, where we only have four guilds (two horde two allaince) that can do ToGC 25.
    I am in Epilepsy (allaince), which has cleared icc 10, and is on togc 10 4/5.
    Pretty much we're the....4th best allaince guild? Maybe 5th. Anyways, I'll appreciate any input.

Re: Shaman HPS

HPS doesn't matter.

Did you keep your assignments alive? If yes, you are a good healer. If no, you or your targets are doing something wrong.

Did I read this wrong or did you say you were running 4 healers in ToC10? If you have 2 druids, a shaman, AND a pally healing, that is the reason why your HPS is low.

I agree with the guy above me that HPS, in general, doesn't always tell you whether a healer is doing their job or not, but at the same time it can be used to gauge a healers performance if all things are taken into consideration (class, spec (i.e. disc or holy) and assignments).

But, if there are 2 resto druids healing in a 10 man ToC and a pally healing the tanks, you are just going to get sniped 90% of the time. That's way too much healing for that fight.

I'd also like to know what your stats/gear is like and if this was heroic or normal. It sounds like normal from the way you said "zerg Anub" and then "we are 4/5 ToGC 10".

It's quite possible that you simply don't have enough haste to compete with druid heals on a fight like that.

You do realize I hope that heal assignments, heals used, overhealing done etc. will make a difference to your meters right? Like Bergg said, your HPS is irrelevant as long as you're doing the job of keeping people alive.

I'd hazard a guess the other healers are landing heals quicker, so get more haste!
    The Twins fight should be your bitch but from what I have seen so far Druids are pulling some crazy HPS and Pallies no matter what gear they have can hit high numbers with beacon and holy spam.
    I feel for Priests, as they seem to be lagging way behind right now.
    Conclusion, what Bergg says, if you keep to you assigment and your targets stay alive, and your raid wins, HPS means bugger all.

WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

i got a shammy healer myself, and i mostly top meters specially at twins... everybody takes so much damage so riptipe whenever its of CD and spam chail heal is lots and lots of raidheals

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ways
    Ok, so, my main is a prot/arms warrior, and I leveled a shaman just for funziez. Then, my guilds resto shaman left, and so I...well became the new one. Anyways, Since 3.3 came out I ran a whole ton of heroics on him, and brought him in some raids like udluar 10 to icc 10. Now he's better geared then my warrior, and so now the guilds making me use that as my main toon. I'm ok with that, thats not really what I'm posting about.

The only three addons I use on my shaman are recount, healbot, and DBM (your basic raiding addons).

In heroics, yes even h hor, everything runs smoothly no ones dies. In raids, I'm getting out healed (and sometimes people die *cough*).

So. Raids. In a togc 10, on twinvalks, a druid (understandable I think), and a pally (not understandable) out healed me (both are slightley better geared). I was only pulling 3k hps, where as they were both pulling 5k hps. I also had the least overhealing done. We downed them fine (ish, we wiped...3 times i think? Anyways not important it was just stupid mistakes)

Now, on Anub, We tried to zerg it, so the druid went dps. Both the palley and I "about" had the same total healing done, same hps (4-5khps), but he had way more overhealing done.

The whole point of this is....am I failing as a healer? Should I tell my guild to shove it and go back to tanking? Or are shammies a mix between disc and holy preists and meant to...balance things?

If you need any more info, just say so, try to be specific, and I'll edit.

Btw this is on zuluhed, where we only have four guilds (two horde two allaince) that can do ToGC 25.
    I am in Epilepsy (allaince), which has cleared icc 10, and is on togc 10 4/5.
    Pretty much we're the....4th best allaince guild? Maybe 5th. Anyways, I'll appreciate any input.
    It is pretty evident that you have no idea how paladin healers work. With Beacon, a paladin healer is going to completely destroy your HPS about 95% of the time unless they are very terrible. For the same reason, Paladins are going to dominate the OH totals as well since both of the targets they are healing probably won't have the same deficits. My raid healer has been on a recent kick about "overhealing the shit" out of people which leads to a lot of confusion on the meters. If you do 400k healing and 350k is effective you are doing a much better job than the guy doing 600k with 300k of it being overheals.

Better to get an over heal then no heal at all. It is always better to be proactive then reactive when it comes to healing.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript
    It is pretty evident that you have no idea how paladin healers work. With Beacon, a paladin healer is going to completely destroy your HPS about 95% of the time unless they are very terrible. For the same reason, Paladins are going to dominate the OH totals as well since both of the targets they are healing probably won't have the same deficits. My raid healer has been on a recent kick about "overhealing the shit" out of people which leads to a lot of confusion on the meters. If you do 400k healing and 350k is effective you are doing a much better job than the guy doing 600k with 300k of it being overheals.
    Not necessarily. Way back when, I'd agree with you, but in these days of short duration boss fights and ridiculous regens (replenish, mana tides, innervate, etc) there is really nothing bad about overheal. I think it kind of sucks that this is the way it has become, but as long as you aren't having mana issues, it really doesn't matter how much overhealing you are doing.

Granted, ICC seems to be a little different from a "spam spam spam = win" stand point, but I've yet to see all the fights (obviously).

Whoops didn't mean to post it twice, internet was acting up.
    Anyways I have about 800 haste and yes I'm keepin my targets alive. Also, notice I said we "tired" to zerg Anub. I didn't say it worked. And I was saying togc 10 thoughout the whole thing. And also, yes there were only 3 healers, you read it wrong. And no, I don't know how holy pallies work... well now I do.
    Everyone else, thank you for your help. Stack more haste, keep people alive, I think i can do that.

Hello mod, thanks for the post. I'm in a similar situation, I have taken over a vacant heal spot on my resto shaman. I recently ran my first TOGC10 with only 2 heals, me being 1 the other a geared to the teeth holy paladin. Until you cast lesser faster then he flashs in togc10, you will simply never win. The tank healing deficit being overtaken by beacon is simply immense. I hit 5kHPS on twins, with him at 7500 (had blues at the time). Just take less healers. Not sure why you'd take 4, or even 3 for that matter.

15+ Year Old Account

First thing I reccomend to all starting healers is get Grid (including plugins like GridStatusRaidDebuffs) + Clique. It makes a huge difference being able to directly click on a player and heal him, without having to target him first and then pressing some button.

As for class advice, main challenge of playing a resto shammy is knowing when to use chain heal and when to resort to lhw or hw. I've seen a lot of shammies just spamming chain heal on absolutely every fight and then wondering why they got outhealed by most of the other healers.

Oh and dont worry if you usually get outhealed by a holy pala, it's pretty much normal. They're nuking power is unmatched and they also raaarely have mana problems. One of our holadins usually pulls 20k+ hps in the last phase of anub25 hc, there is absolutely no way in hell a resto shammy could reach that.
    titanFocus.info -- news, predictions and place for discussion about Blizzard's upcoming next-gen MMO.

Shamans are the best (imo) raid healers in the game. It should be said that i haven't tried playing a holy priest yet, so i don't really know how they are. At least, on certain fights like Twin Val'akyrs, shamans should outnumber any other class on effective healing.

Our guild had 3 shamans in the group on a Twin Val'akyr 25 kill, and ranged stood close to the right portal while melee and tanks stood in the middle of the two front portals. This way all three shamans could spam chain heal through the whole fight. We didn't have a resto druid or a holy/disc prist in the group that time, but we kept two paladins on the tanks.

Basically all three shamans had around 8k hps, and no more than 20% overhealing. The paladins had 3-5k hps and around 40% overhealing, though I dont believe that they where spam healing like the shamans.

Shamans are simply amazing when it comes the fights like this.